Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Libra

Re: [Updated] Macrium Reflect v5.1.5444

Cloning usually means making a bit by bit copy of one disk and transferring it to another disk.....whereas imaging usually means making a bit for bit copy of your disk or partition,compressing it and making a backup of it till needed..(simple explanation. )

Using Linux rescue disk...answer..yes..

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Libra

What Art said is correct.
And what you are asking about restoring everything with version 5 (free copy) is correct.
An image is a fast snapshot of your entire hard disk drive that is saved as a compressed file. When using the Linux Rescue Disk, you can open those images and restore them to the disk you took that image from.
A cloned hard disk drive, is just that. It's a perfect "mirror copy" of everything from the original drive. That mirrored (cloned) drive is ready to be plugged in to your computer if let's say you were upgrading to a LARGER drive and ran out of space on the original drive. That new cloned drive with the LARGER capacity should just boot up and function just like the original with the added capacity taken into account.

The drawbacks to cloning is that it takes up MUCH more space than an image, and you can not append incremental or differential clones. Disk images are much easier to maintain in that respect.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

I'm getting a new hard drive and using Macrium Reflect 4 free I just made a full image. I know the instructions are to copy one partition at a time and when done go back and restore another partition. My concern is I hope I don't have to give sizes and make partitions. I have this information:

• 1. system Active 100MB (used 24.13) (free 75.87)
• 2. Windows (C) Primary 420,662.GB (used 36,176GB)(free384,486
• 3. no name D Primary 30.GB (used 87.20MB) (free 29,915GB)
• 4. Lenovo_Part Primary 15,000GB (used7,408GB)(free 7,592GB)

The total size of what was imaged is 43,693GB.

My hard drive is 500GB.

Can I just check each one individually and select Active and Primary where appropriate and copy this to a new drive?

If I need to use numbers can I use the numbers listed above? The first number is Capacity (I forgot to mention that).
~~~~~~~~~
Another possibility is I am going to get a recovery disk from Lenovo which I think has the option to use my external hard drive (not sure about this), but I don't know how my Macrium backup which has to be copied one partition at a time would work with this. The Lenovo disk will have an out of the box image on it.

I'd like to use Macrium if I'm able to do it.

If I try Macrium and it doesn't work, will I be able to use the Lenovo factory install disk with all the junk on it?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Dustyn

I know that you need to have the paid version to restore a Macrium Reflect image file to another computer but does that mean a different HDD/SSD?

The reason I ask is that say, I make a backup image of my system drive which is my SSD (I do this weekly). Then, my SSD takes a crap (which can happen), then I go and buy a new SSD but it's not the same brand SSD or same size SSD. Can I restore that Macrium Reflect image onto that new SSD?
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France

If partition (s) are same size or larger, no matter of the SSD 's manufacturer. I want quick format the SSD before use.
You don't need HIR as your restore image is on the same hardware (Motherboard, Graphic card).
I have done this once without a glitch with the free Macrium reflect version, using WinPE 3.0 RE with my new 256 Go Crucial SSD.
(From 60 Go OCZ Vertex II).

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Why I ask is that for whatever reason that I can't seem to figure out why, some SSDs are sold as 240 GB, some 250 GB, and even 256 GB. Obviously if I have an SSD right now that is of one size, my SSD dies, and I get a new SSD (different brand depending upon what the deal of the week is), the new SSD isn't always going to be the same size.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Old Computer
Premium
France

Depend of flash Nand brand and how the SSD electronic components use the Wear leveling.
"A pool of reserve space can also be kept. When a block or sector does fail, future reads and writes to it can be redirected to a replacement in that pool."
See here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Old Computer

said by Old Computer:

If partition (s) are same size or larger, no matter of the SSD 's manufacturer. I want quick format the SSD before use.

I have a free Macrium 4 Linux Rescue Disk. Will it do the quick format you mention? Would I use the numbers I listed above (capacity) for each partition?

Alternatively, would it be possible for me to use the Lenovo Recovery Disk which has an image on it, and then go over that with my Macrium Reflect 4 full image?

If I try to do the image and it doesn't work will I still be able to use the image Lenovo sends me?

If I need the paid version of Macrium, then I'm sol.

Sincerely, Libra

Old Computer
Premium
France

I am not an expert when using Macrium reflect. I use it only since v5 version (early 2012) and only the free version. (I have ShadowProtect on my main PC).

You can check at the the Macrium Knowledge base about cloning multiples partitions to a larger Disk. When cloning my SSD I had only 2 partitions on it. - Boot reserved and C: for Windows 7.
»kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArti···081.aspx
It should be good with the free version too. (v5) .
I never use the Linux based env, always made the WinPE recovery USB stick witch is more convenient in some situations.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Thank you for that link. In one area it says "Please take note of the fact that all data and partitions will be erased from the target disk".

I have a 2 TB external hard drive that I have backups for three computers. I don't see where it says to designate an area to put the clone in (like a folder). If I attempt to make this clone will it erase everything else on my external hard drive?

It sounds like I might be able to make a clone and put it on the new hard drive (I am confused about the sizes of things so I would hope to use the capacity sizes I listed above and it would work).

I haven't heard from the tech yet, so I'll install Macrium 5 and try making the clone.

On further looking over the information, it seems the Linux Rescue disk won't restore a clone to a new disk. It mentions the WinPE that has drivers. It seemed like a good idea, but I think I'd be wasting my time.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I don't know where this will go because I never purchased Macrium - some things were to complicated for me, but I just contacted Support inquiring about upgrading from free 4 to paid 5 and with some other questions. If I'm able to purchase Macrium and make a clone (properly) and get the WinPE and disk restore with the windows boot menu I think that would be in my best interests. The key is getting the proper things and making a clone.