Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to hm

Re: Voltage-Hurt Locker Lawsuit Round 2 Against Teksavvy Users

This lawsuit has nothing to do with The Hurt Locker. That is not one of the films they're planning to sue about.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to hagbard72

said by hagbard72:

Hurt Locker, US govt backed propaganda crap.

And Oscar "Best Picture" winner. That's enough to get the attention of some people.... though I expect the buzz generated from that would have been played out long before the time period in question here.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to hm

Tucker and Dale vs Evil was good.

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

Shit's getting real. I think I'm just going to buy a Tomato compatible router and use a VPN for the whole house.

I've been VPNing ALL of my traffic lately, everything except online gaming where latency will suffer.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to hm

said by hm :

Just started reading the voltage doc's.

Yeah they are claiming these 2000+ IP's are "enablers" as I thought. "Distributing and aiding in theft".

They are also claiming these people profited off of them (ie. commercial theft).

Not quite. It looks, to me, like they're claiming people might have profited off of them, and in such cases (on a case by case basis) will pursue higher damages rather than the statutory damages for non-commercial infringement. So basically, they're leaving the option open.

Though I'm sure they'll play that up in any settlement offers to try to scare people.

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to hm

Honestly the 1 000 000 IP address that they mention seems to be very suspicious to me. The total population of Canada is 34 000 000 people, so assuming that they got 2 IP adresses by person, which is not completely unreasonable, it leaves 500 000 people, so 1 person out of 68 in Canada.

That might be close to the total number of bittorrent users in Canada, but seems very high for such content as crappy serie-b movies... I doubt that so many people even know those movies exists in Canada, let alone downloaded them.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by hm :

Yeah they are claiming these 2000+ IP's are "enablers" as I thought. "Distributing and aiding in theft".

They are also claiming these people profited off of them (ie. commercial theft).

Not quite. It looks, to me, like they're claiming people might have profited off of them, and in such cases (on a case by case basis) will pursue higher damages rather than the statutory damages for non-commercial infringement. So basically, they're leaving the option open.

Though I'm sure they'll play that up in any settlement offers to try to scare people.

Well I hope folks aren't intimidated by the accusations of commercial theft. It is virtually impossible to prove unless someone is caught selling cds in mall by the cops. Besides that is a criminal matter (felony) I think, not civil and requires evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to Cyborg994

The million IP addresses Canipre have are likely for ALL torrent users they managed to monitor, not just those listed in this suit. This is just one rights holder, there are plenty more out there for them to sell more of their farmed data to.

It will be interesting to see this go further than just extortion through the mail. This Canipre company is collecting, storing and likely selling private information about a very large number of Canadians (even if it's just the IP address), and I'm pretty sure they are not legally allowed to do that.

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to hm

Well TSI (Marc) has said that the 2000+ ips do not equal 2000 different customers so it is almost sure there has to be repeated downloads by an ip in order to help legitimize the claim against it. I don't think they are going after the 1'sies. More occurrences on a single ip or customer name showing up repeatedly is better for them apparently.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to hm

said by hm :

I only read a few pages so far but voltage is going for broke and tossing every single thing possible in this.

Only conclusion I can come up with is someone is paying/funding their lawyers (read: MPAA and the American copyright trolls/extortionists/lobbyists) to put max strain on the court and the likes of cippic type people, max fear into people, and to test the new laws on what will stick and what won't in order to pave the way for the American extortionists to roll in and work with what the courts will give them, or allow them.

Anyone have the scoop on this Toronto btzlaw.ca law firm acting on their behalf?

Seems the data was again gather by Canipre.

The whole thing reads like a wild test and fishing expedition. Anyone else draw the same conclusion?

By stating all the above in the court documents (ie how all these people profited and are commercial infringers etc), what this extortion company is doing is trying to scare people into paying the fee in their extortion demand letter.

The fear of:
Over 15,000$ in court, as filed.
Or
Pay our extortion demand of say, $3,500 or whatever.

Man what a racket. This company should be sued by the people. There should be a class action against voltage and this Canipre "extortion enabler" as well as the law firm btz.

Oh man I would love for someone to sue these people for extortion.

No one has mentioned this yet, but If I was to receive one of those I would also forward a copy to my trusty MP who stated with confidence in the HOC that Canadians were safe from this type of fishing expeditions.

Bah, lawyers = liars. They are all the same.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

That list of movies they produced is pure garbage. I didn't see one good film in the bunch. I actually had to imdb most of them because I have never heard of them

This sounds like abuse of our new laws.

1) Make crappy film
2) Put crappy film onto Torrent sites
3) Track everyone who downloads and seeds the torrent
4) Go to court and sue
5) Extort money from the plaintiff outside of the court
6) Make Bank
7) Make more Bank
8) Get rich off the system off of some poor smucks who downloaded some C list movie

Isn't that, in a way, how capitalism works as well?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to hm

The company leading the charge.

Canipre
15400 Pierrefonds Blv
Suite 307
Montreal, Quebec
H9H 5L5

»canipre.com/

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON

Click for full size
»maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl···gQ_AUoAA

said by dillyhammer:

Canipre
15400 Pierrefonds Blv
Suite 307
Montreal, Quebec
H9H 5L5

»canipre.com/

--
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2012

eyebrow rise

@videotron.ca
reply to dillyhammer

Why have we not seen any other ISP, or any other person from a diff ISP, come forward to state they got this as well?

Is this voltage company picking on only teksavvy customers?

Or are other ISP's just not saying anything to their customers and just waiting for the court to demand disclosure of their customers private information?

Anyone have the scoop on this?

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Canipre
15400 Pierrefonds Blv
Suite 307
Montreal, Quebec
H9H 5L5

»canipre.com/

THEY DON"T HAVE FRENCH ON THE WEBSITE?!?!
We should report them to the Office québécois de la langue française (OLF)!!
»www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/

ASAP!!! hehe this would be fun!

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to dillyhammer

duplicate

yuuuup

@videotron.ca
reply to TilhasBB

said by TilhasBB:

THEY DON"T HAVE FRENCH ON THE WEBSITE?!?!
We should report them to the Office québécois de la langue française (OLF)!!
»www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/

ASAP!!! hehe this would be fun!

Actually, you could. It is a requirement for a business in Qc.

The OLF site even have forms ready for you to lodge your complaint:
»www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/francisation···nte.html

Maybe we should all do it.

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to stormy13

said by stormy13:

said by dillyhammer:

Canipre
15400 Pierrefonds Blv
Suite 307
Montreal, Quebec
H9H 5L5

»canipre.com/

Hmmm looks shady. Canipre set up in the back room of a depanneur?
--

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to hm

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···nfo.html

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to AkFubar

»www.linkedin.com/company/canipre···_product

sssssss

@cgocable.ca
reply to yuuuup

Accusé de réception automatique

Madame,
Monsieur,

Nous avons reçu votre courriel concernant une possible dérogation à la Charte de la langue française. Nous vous assurons que votre demande sera analysée.

Veuillez agréer, Madame, Monsieur, nos salutations distinguées.

La Direction du traitement des plaintes
Office québécois de la langue française

Édifice Camille-Laurin
125, rue Sherbrooke Ouest
Montréal (Québec) H2X 1X4

plaintes@oqlf.gouv.qc.ca

sssssss

@cgocable.ca
reply to yuuuup

done!

hm

@videotron.ca

said by sssssss :

done!

I'm going to do the same, but I plan on taking it a step further when I get a chance to do this tonight.

Everyone should file a complaint with the OLF.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to yuuuup

said by yuuuup :

Actually, you could. It is a requirement for a business in Qc.

The OLF site even have forms ready for you to lodge your complaint:
»www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/francisation···nte.html

Maybe we should all do it.

I can't read that.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

Hmmm looks shady. Canipre set up in the back room of a depanneur?

Looks totally shady. Just like his client. Match made in heaven there. tell you what.

Goofy and dopey trying to cash in on totally shit movies. So funny.

Motion denied. Nothing to see here. [waives hand] Move along.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to AkFubar

I see a Canada Post sign there ... most likely the address is a PO BOX

random

@teksavvy.com

It could also be the office upstairs. Suite 307

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to stormy13

said by stormy13:

said by dillyhammer:

Canipre
15400 Pierrefonds Blv
Suite 307
Montreal, Quebec
H9H 5L5

»canipre.com/

Has anyone (DSLr types) in Montreal gone to see if this company has a real office or if it's just a PO Box? In the photo it looks like the store on the ground floor may be a postal outlet w/maiboxes.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

Google translate

Madam,
sir,

We received your email regarding a possible exception to the Charter of the French language. We assure you that your request will be analyzed.

Please accept, Madam, Sir, Yours faithfully.

Directorate of Complaints
Quebec Office of the French Language

And yes I saw your
I'm posting this "for the children"

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to MaynardKrebs

Verified.
It is a P.O. BOX at Canada Post which is in the Depanneur