how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to bbbc

Re: Voltage-Hurt Locker Lawsuit Round 2 Against Teksavvy Users

Since the courts say that it is okay for the telco/cableco to charge processing fees at $200 per IP address look up, all of the smaller ISP contacted so far should also send in a bill. May be that fee make making it less profitable to extort people into settlements so they haven't bother the Teleco/Cableco again/yet.

If all the ISP out there do that, it would cost the IP troll $200M to go through that 1 million IP list... For that, someone could make a profitable movie.

testcaseinCA

@bell.ca
reply to Walter Dnes
this is a test to see how much revenue they can get.....if they have a case of 2300 against teksavvy imagine how many abuses occur on the bell network....but they dont have the money to take on the bell legal department and they know it....this is a probe and teksavvy should stand upto it and tell them to go stuff it. really that is what this is all about and hopefully teksavvy doesnt cave in...they should wait and see who gets the next round of notices and then move forward. and teksavvy dont give out any info or send any emails to your clients until this group tries this on bell rogers videotron (especially videotron in quebec) telus or shaw.....till they try to take you all down let the legal people tell them they dont have a leg to stand on by trying to pick on your company

MadCow

@electronicbox.net
reply to hm
This is worth viewing and explains the whole logic (or lack of) of (c)opyright maths:

»www.ted.com/talks/rob_reid_the_8···pod.html

Really its worth the 5 minutes and every politician involved in copyright law should HAVE TO watch it. The motion picture and music industry would like to have us believe that we should spend millions of precious tax payer dollars to help them police their ip and that somehow this will result in us getting additional tax dollars from their industry. The truth is they've already figured out that the cost of protecting their ip doesn't add up to the additional revenue it can create, so they are passing along the bill to us hoping we're too stupid to realize its going to cost us more than what we'll get back.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

1 edit
reply to hm

Nasser Entertainment / Nasser Group North location

This is the shithole known as Nasser Entertainment / Nasser Group North / NGN Productions / NGN Prima Productions, »goo.gl/maps/wdtG9 , located in Burnaby, British Columbia. Notice how the company got Google Maps to blur their location out. The office is an old dump and the signage looks like it came from Broderbund's Print Shop. It's so happening it is adjacent to an effing paint store. Oh, and right down the street from the oldest tired Costco in BC. Why didn't the newspaper publish the name of the production company, what's the big deal?

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to random

said by random :

Since the courts say that it is okay for the telco/cableco to charge processing fees at $200 per IP address look up, all of the smaller ISP contacted so far should also send in a bill. May be that fee make making it less profitable to extort people into settlements so they haven't bother the Teleco/Cableco again/yet.

If all the ISP out there do that, it would cost the IP troll $200M to go through that 1 million IP list... For that, someone could make a profitable movie.

A quote from Barry Logan,

"Rumour has it that some ISPs are asking anywhere from $40 to $200 per address for IP address reconciliation. For even a modest request for 1,000 records is going to cost a fortune. At $40 per address its absurd. At $200 its impossible."

Awe.. boo hoo. The big boys know the game you're trying to play, the problem for you though is, they are better at that game, and always will be.

Time for the big boys to raise the rate to $1000 per IP request!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by xsbell:

Actually lets make that $8,500 per IP request, and have our TISP's use those funds to get more modems approved on our behalf.
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Chialeux2

@videotron.ca
reply to bbbc

Re: Nasser Entertainment / Nasser Group North location

Does Voltage have distribution rights of any of the movies uploaded in Canada? If not they may have no case at all...

Tell Me

@videotron.ca
reply to xsbell

said by xsbell:

A quote from Barry Logan,

"Rumour has it that some ISPs are asking anywhere from $40 to $200 per address for IP address reconciliation. For even a modest request for 1,000 records is going to cost a fortune. At $40 per address its absurd. At $200 its impossible."

Awe.. boo hoo. The big boys know the game you're trying to play, the problem for you though is, they are better at that game, and always will be.

What is the source of this quote? Normally when you quote someone you paste the link. It's only common courtesy...

Meanwhile this is something I was saying to tekavvy before this news hit. See this topic: »Blog: Recent Developments in Canadian Copyright Law

1. They have to retain certain peoples data for extended periods of time. From 6 months to one year, or a few months if it's dropped in court.

Someone has to go through that list of people and retain that. Attach court doc to it and whatever else.

2. People have the right to contact Teksavvy's privacy officer (which is Canadian law to have). Teksavvy's CEO wears that hat. His time is not close to 40$/hr. How many CEO's of a multimillion dollar compant are worth only 40$/hr? Tell me. The dinkiest 1 million dollar company CEO is well over 100$/hr.

Now since he is Priv officer, he will be taking the calls and doing the action.

People have a right to call and get all the info on their file w/ the most minimal of costs to them (per law).

People have the right to contact TSI if any lawsuit is dropped and to have these retained files trashed.

People have the right to contact TSI after 6-months or 1 year to demand this retention file be deleted.

People have the right to contact TSI and file a formal letter with them that the data, or court order, or whatever from Canipre or the law firm is wrong. Teksavvy *has* to (per law) take it and amend this to the customers file they are retaining.

Then you will have the basket cases who just can't grasp what is going on and which will require more time.

This is just one function, the privacy officer hat that the Teksavvy CEO is wearing. And that isn't close to 40$.

Do you think the above is worth 40$/IP? heh, Just the bill from the 1-800 number will cost more than that, *laff*.

Now we have to look at the staff pulled out of Teksavvy's production or regular course of work to look into all 2300 IP's and triple check that all is correct.

Then the employee's who are contacting these 2300 people and who will be contacted by these 2300 people with a billion questions.

Then there is teksavvy's legal advice to properly handle all these mass requests.

Then there is the overhead of maintaining all of this.

Then there is replacement employee's brought in to replace the people taking care of this headache in order to keep their production, or phones, or work going.

Then there are additional costs for translating each and every doc, as required, into French. The over head for that, and the bilingual people for that.

Then there will be the problem IP's (nothing is cut and dry) and triple checking of those problems ones w/ Rogers to Modem MAC. Will Rogers work for free? heh, I don't think so. So that has to be costed. And Rogers charges the most out of all of them as we found out.
Are we still at 40$ per IP?? Are we? You tell me.

There are likely lots more things involved here that have to be carefully costed so Teksavvy doesn't end up losing anything with these mass extortion schemes.

They aren't in the "Let Us Help You Extort Inc." Businesses. Do you see this on TSI's Business card: "We Help Extort for free"? Tell me. Do you?

If this clown thinks there are no direct costs, no direct labour costs, no ancillary costs, and no overhead associated with all this, then this guy is as much of a clown as he looks.

TSI won't even break even at 40$/IP. They, in effect, would be working for CANIPRE and Voltage for free.

Maybe something these Americans don't realize is that companies here have a requirement to have a privacy officer (in this case it's the CEO) and all that comes with it per privcom.gc.ca, and a requirement for bilingualism.

I'm guesstimating the direct costs will be no be less than 125$ per IP. "No less". And that is being conservative.

This clown is out to lunch.

Now, give me the link to this clowns quote you dug up.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to xsbell
I found your quote.

He made the comment to the shill site here:
»copyrightenforcement.ca/takedown···delayed/

40$ is a joke with all that's involved. It doesn't matter if it's 1 IP or 10,000 IP's the same work as detailed in the other post has to be performed. If not, people can go against the ISP at privcom or the OLF or whatever.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to hm
Something is definitely fishy about CANIPRE.

They have a PO BOX adress, and as far as I know, nothing under that name is registered with the REQ. So either it's not a real registered company, or they're hiding under a fake name.

And "Robin Berry", as far as I can tell, is most probably also a fake alias.

misternox

join:2009-12-17
canada
Yep. Anonymous did some digging around too & it's looking very fishy: »pastebin.com/5eUP7qL5

Also Barry Logan was recently on CTV promoting canipre:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMiO4hgrPY

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to hm
Most likely they are hiding so they don't get attacked by Anon or get their offices fire bombed. A company like that can piss off an awful lot of people.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Torabo

join:2009-09-01
Can a company legally hide like that though? What if someone wants to sue them or whatever? You can't exactly serve a PO Box... at least I don't think you can?

Tong

join:2012-12-11
r3t 38x
I believe if you use a PO box and you got served and you ignore it, then you are pleading guilty. Then you get judgement by get access to their company registration, either way, you can't hide behind a PO Box forever.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by Tong:

I believe if you use a PO box and you got served and you ignore it, then you are pleading guilty. Then you get judgement by get access to their company registration, either way, you can't hide behind a PO Box forever.

Yup. You can indeed be served like this. When p2pnet got sued he had the stuff sitting in his P/O box for a week before he got it (he lived on an island in BC and had to take the ferry to the mainland to get his mail).

When he got it, a week later, the troll then tried to use this in court as him ignoring their request for a take-down. But it wasn't actually the case since he does live on an island. So the judges tossed that and ignored the troll.

So yeah, you can.

Perfectly fine to hide behind a p/o box. A p/o box isn't going to stop the OLF from knocking at his door. And they do send their language cops out for visits.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Torabo
said by Torabo:

Can a company legally hide like that though? What if someone wants to sue them or whatever? You can't exactly serve a PO Box... at least I don't think you can?

Their clients probably have the complete contact info and no doubt they have to sign off on on a non disclosure agreement.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
Go to the court documents and get the legal name of the company there. Take that to the Industry Canada website and look through the NUANS database - that will tell you if Canipre is a Canada corporation, or incorporated in any province except Quebec (as usual Quebec marches to its own tune). It's also possible via other databases to find the registered address of the company and the names of the directors.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to hm
Has anyone bothered to look into the software they used to spy on these IP's?

Some interesting things there...

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to kabes
said by kabes:

said by Dones:

Shit's getting real. I think I'm just going to buy a Tomato compatible router and use a VPN for the whole house.

I've been VPNing ALL of my traffic lately, everything except online gaming where latency will suffer.

I'm on it as well nothing will leave my connection unless it's passed threw VPN.

Tong

r3t 38x
reply to hm
The software is called guardaley, do search and you find many things about it when it was used in USA and Germany.

Tong

r3t 38x
reply to hm
Check out this article.

»www.techdirt.com/blog/?company=guardaley

They are using the same tech.

Tweet it

@videotron.ca
reply to hm
Since this court hearing will be in Toronto on the 17th, who here is going to go and see this unfold in court on Monday? Then relay it all here for us...

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada
Can this Legally be Video recorded?
And posted here of course.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
Unless the judge agrees, there's no recording in court - audio or video. Doing so without express permission can get you into a lot of trouble.

Of course Voltage would claim copyright infringement if their words were posted on-line.

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
said by MaynardKrebs:

Unless the judge agrees, there's no recording in court - audio or video. Doing so without express permission can get you into a lot of trouble.

Of course Voltage would claim copyright infringement if their words were posted on-line.

What about Transcripts?

nopers

@videotron.ca
reply to TilhasBB
said by TilhasBB:

Can this Legally be Video recorded?
And posted here of course.

No. Judge Judy is only in the states.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to TilhasBB
said by TilhasBB:

What about Transcripts?

They cost real money (lots), and they can take weeks to get.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Tweet it
LOL Guess who the lawyer is for Voltage?

James (Kojak) Zibarras

*Head Slap*

This is the lawyer a Toronto cop (Officer Bubbles) hired to protect him from people who mocked him with cartoons on youtube! I think he and this lawyer then tried to sue youtube and the people posting cartoons for over a million bux.

Anyone remember this one? This was like a 6'6" cop who threatened to arrest a little girl because she assault him with a bubble.

Toronto's Officer Bubbles lost. heh

»Booked for assault by bubbles

LOL this is too funny. This is the lawyer who protected a burly cop from assault with a deadly bubble! LOL

Some of the cartoons can be found here:
»Officer Bubbles: You talking to me?

lol people should blow bubbles at this lawyer (but he may try to sue you for a billion dollars for assault with a deadly bubble)

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TilhasBB:

What about Transcripts?

They cost real money (lots), and they can take weeks to get.

Can anyone attend? If they say anything "inaccurate" we should get transcripts and use them.

I'm confident that we have the full force of every Canadian in the IT industry that would be more than willing to help STOP the first (Be Creative) from ever winning a fight in Canada. If they win, it will only invite more lawsuits. Something No Canadian wants.

pegcitynet

join:2009-09-02
reply to hm
»www.ipr-global.com/ resolves to the canipre.com website.