join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo

1 edit

Low speeds in evening (Was: sync, but no IP)

We lost internet access this past Friday. The symptoms were the modem (ST516) had sync, but the router could not obtain an IP address. Phone was fine. Power cycling, changing cables, resetting the modem, and connecting the modem directly to the computer did not help. I called in and the tech said he could see that my neighbours were online and he would send me a new modem. I declined and told him I would call back if I wanted one.

I gave up troubleshooting and was going to buy a new modem the next day (Saturday so didn't want to wait for Canada Post) but everything started working about seven hours later with no interaction from me.

How should I have troubleshooted this? Is there anything I should do differently next time?

Thanks,
Mango

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

Re: [AB] How to troubleshoot sync, but no IP?

First thing you did was correct. If another device doesn't get an IP when connected direct to modem then your router is fine.

When you called in, what troubleshooting did the agent do with you? If it's normal sync no IP it is usually fairly easy to fix from Telus' end.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo

1 edit
Thanks for replying. When I called in the agent asked me to connect the modem directly to the computer again (it was back to the router at that point) and attempt to release/renew while he watched his tools. Then he offered to send a Zyxel modem, but I like my Speedtouch so don't want to switch unless I have to

I spoke to a second tech via chat about four hours after the outage started. He advised me to press the reset button the back of the modem for five seconds, which I hadn't yet done. It did not seem to change the symptoms though. He also told me to reset the router to factory default settings. I admit I didn't do that.

Last night I had low speed/high ping issue »www.speedtest.net/result/2364714357.png but was just about to go to bed so didn't troubleshoot it. This morning everything was back to normal.

This morning I upgraded the firmware on the modem to 7.4.4.7.

m.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
I didn't notice any speed problems during the day but it dropped to ~1.5 Mbit/sec around 8:30 PM or so. Ping is normal tonight. I spent an hour and a half with an agent and was unfortunately not able to solve the problem. A truck roll is scheduled for Thursday. If anyone has any suggestions between now and then, that would be great.

I have a question. The Speedtouch 516 is an ADSL2+ modem. Would using a VDSL modem change anything?

m.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo

1 edit
Click for full size
DMT snapshot attached, in case it's helpful.

(EDIT) Like clockwork, I'm not back to normal, but relatively close: »www.speedtest.net/result/2367221756.png . It's 1:30 AM.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Mango

Re: Low speeds in evening (Was: sync, but no IP)

You probably already figured this but most likely either your DSLAM's line is saturated or there is something causing interference on your line. Not much you can do but wait for the tech to show up.

A VDSL modem would probably drop your pings by around 20 ms since they use PhyR instead of interleaving. I have no idea if the Zytel is more resilient to noise but seeing as the Speedtouch is getting pretty long in the tooth I can't see it being any worse.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to Mango
Is this wired or wireless? I've had my connection using wireless form Telus supplied boxes drop to 100mb/s connection) making it impossible to surf the web. I've noticed this on both and ADSL port and VDSL2 port. Essentially what happens is it dies and even restarting the Actiontec or whatever the grey one was on ADSL wouldn't help and then after a certain time it goes back to normal. This happened when I was less than 2 feet from the ADSL router and when I was about 15 feet from the Actiontec. With the ADSL one it was a house and there was an extremely low chance of having any other wireless devices interfering.

I'll be getting some Cisco gear soon so hopefully I won't have the issue anymore. I think Telus is about to have some problems when people upgrade to the 50mb/s service as I doubt the hardware on the Actiontec is of high enough quality to consistenly keep a 50mb/s connection.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Good guess, but I'm using wired connections. However it is entirely possible that a few customers near me have signed up for 50 megabit service and use it heavily in the evening.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
The verdict: partial area outage. Quite possibly we lost a fiber link on the 7th, and the remaining one(s) do not have enough capacity for all the customers. This explains why sync is good but speed is not. This will be fixed, but there is no ETA.

It would be nice if the three agents I spoke to/chatted with knew about this as it would have saved a great deal of time (about 2 hours) troubleshooting my equipment and I wouldn't have pushed for a truck roll. All's well that ends well though.