how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ

[ML] Time Machine & Parallels

If I needed to reload my MBA from TC, would it also reload my XP virtual machine and any files in it?

How about if I used CCC and put it on an external usb drive?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

If you include your Virtual Machine directory in your time machine backups, then it would be restored automatically (same for CCC).

If you are including it in your time machine backups, be aware that it's likely chewing up all of your space. Depending on the VM software and setup, you may have a 20-40GB file that needs to be backed up every time you even boot into Windows. Best case scenario is that a few 2GB files are constantly being backed up. For this reason, I exclude my Virtual Machine directory from TM and back it up manually.

If Windows XP is installed through bootcamp, you'll have to back up the Windows partition some other way.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Liberty

As TD said, you will want to back up the VM separately. But the TC isn't all chewed up by Time Machine. You can browse the storage on the TC and simply drag and drop a copy of the VM every once in a while, like say the first of every month or something. Then if something happens, you do your Time Machine restore, and then browse over to the TC and drag the Parallels folder from the TC back into the Documents folder.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Liberty

As TD said, you will want to back up the VM separately. But the TC isn't all chewed up by Time Machine. You can browse the storage on the TC and simply drag and drop a copy of the VM every once in a while, like say the first of every month or once a week. Then if something happens, you do your Time Machine restore, and then browse over to the TC and drag the Parallels folder from the TC back into the Documents folder.

I don't think backing it up constantly is really necessary.