spc
Search similar:

uniqs

OutOfState
@cox.net

OutOfState

Anon

Need help buying dad a modem

I live in another state and my dad has comcast. He says they charge him a fee to rent his modem for cable. I am assuming he has one of the weakest tiers for the cable internet.

He told me if he gets a certain modem they will charge him since the modem is better than the tier of internet service that he has. This didn't make sense so I was gonna ask you guys what you thought.

If I get the MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard Cable Modem and my dad has the economy cable internet how much will he save a month and will he still be able to stay on economy?

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

said by OutOfState :

I live in another state and my dad has comcast. He says they charge him a fee to rent his modem for cable. I am assuming he has one of the weakest tiers for the cable internet.

He told me if he gets a certain modem they will charge him since the modem is better than the tier of internet service that he has. This didn't make sense so I was gonna ask you guys what you thought.

If I get the MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard Cable Modem and my dad has the economy cable internet how much will he save a month and will he still be able to stay on economy?

Likely a misunderstanding. On Comcast you can buy your own cable modem and save $7 (I think?) a month. That's a savings of $84/year and most cable modems are cheaper than that.

For ~$70 he can buy a Cisco DPC3008 from Amazon or aZoom 5341J from B&H. Both those modems, along with the more expensive Motorola SB6141 are top of the line "8x4 stream" models in case your dad ever upgrades to a much faster service down the road.

There are older models available as well, but not for much less than $70. Something like a Motorola SB5101 is ~$50, but it's incapable of fully supporting Comcast's fastest tiers.

After he buys a modem, he can take the old one along with its power cord back to a local Comcast office and have the rental fee removed. He can also ask for the modem to be picked up...whichever is more convenient.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to OutOfState

to OutOfState
Does he have Comcast phone service?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to OutOfState

MVM

to OutOfState
said by Moffetts:

Does he have Comcast phone service?

I was going to ask this too. Don't bother buying a modem for his internet service if they have Comcast digital voice. Comcast will turn around and start billing $7/mo for the voice emta (modem).

In some markets Comcast will allow customers to buy their own emta but they're not cheap.

Then there is the potential for an issue of who's responsibility it is should there be a problem with the service.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to OutOfState

MVM

to OutOfState
For modem only (no phone), I would avoid the Motorola's right now. They seem to be having issues since Comcast started upstream bonding. The Zoom 5341J seems to be OK, although some have reported other issues. Basically, no modem is perfect! Hopefully, some of the bugs will be worked out as various features are made more widely available in public and not just lab tests.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I agree with Andyross.
I have had both the Motorola 6120 and 6141 with no problems at all, but others have had problems with both modems.
I had a Zoom 5341J with nothing but problems, sent it back and got a SB 6141 and has been trouble free, so one never knows until you try one.
Whatever you decide, get it from a place that has a good return policy just in case.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Wayne99021:

I agree with Andyross.
I have had both the Motorola 6120 and 6141 with no problems at all, but others have had problems with both modems.
I had a Zoom 5341J with nothing but problems, sent it back and got a SB 6141 and has been trouble free, so one never knows until you try one.

Darknessfall See Profile has also had good experiences with the Cisco DPC3008 8x4 modem (currently $69.99 on Amazon): »Re: [Connectivity] Using Motorola SB5101U with Performance Tier

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to OutOfState

to OutOfState
I have the DPC3008 also and it has been rock solid.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to OutOfState

Premium Member

to OutOfState
Defiantly get a D3

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by WK2:

Definitely get a D3

Yes, even if the OP's dad is on a lower-speed tier, "going D3" still has a number of advantages.

As EG See Profile succinctly puts it (»Re: [Connectivity] Do high tier HSI plans bypass neighborhood co ):
said by EG:

There are benefits to be had by using a D3 capable modem on an upgraded to D3 system such as increased connection reliability due to the multiple bonded channel redundancy and failover capability. There are also increased capacity/reduced congestion benefits which result in increased reliability of receiving one's provisioned speeds especially during times of peak usage/demand. Higher PowerBoost assisted speeds have been noted as well. It's a win-win for both the provider and the subscriber.