share rss forum feed

Wafflemann

join:2012-12-10

Small home network setup

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I've always browsed around this forum every now and then just looking at the various setups people would post and thought why not post mine? Now granted it's not some super fiber system but I still get a kick when non-computer savvy people I know stumble into this room (mistake it for the bathroom in my basement). The first picture was before I had bought my router and switch but it's all pretty basic. Wiring to the house, linksys ( know... linksys..) rv082 handling a 5meg symmetrical connection and another 5meg/750kbps adsl with a cisco sg-200 handling several vlans between the router and switch. Two Ubuntu boxes using the emachines cases with quad cores for virtualization and a vpn network I run for a local company along with the old dell I'm developing into a simple web application box for a client.

There ya go! My humble little network system for you guys.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

I hope you have thick skin...

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

I've seen much worse

MariHarris

join:2012-07-02
canada
reply to Wafflemann

Your cable management is great!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Wafflemann

Dont know about tieing cat5 along side power... That cant be good for noise.

And this probably belongs in homephotos rather than bbphotos which is usually where you find pictures of bigiron.

But otherwise, what can I say? Ive also seen worse.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

1 recommendation

reply to Wafflemann

I agree this should be in homephotos...
My only two gripes are the zipties (which at least don't appear to be cinched too tight) and what looks like solid riser cables with 8P8C's on them... (Riser cables should go to a patch panel, then stranded patch cables between there and the switch)

Also, I really hope that jack in your hand in the 1st picture is for telco and not ethernet...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to doubleohwhat

said by doubleohwhat:

I've seen much worse

Ditto, I've seen 100x time worst, in both residential and commercial environments.

said by alphapointe:

Also, I really hope that jack in your hand in the 1st picture is for telco and not ethernet...

Definitely not an ethernet jack. 4 screw terminals with red/green yellow/black wire colours. Typical RJ14 (6P4C) wall jack.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to Wafflemann

Are you using bread ties to bundle some of the cables?

Wafflemann

join:2012-12-10
reply to Wafflemann

Haha it's quite alright I do indeed have thick skin. I in-fact actually reference this as my "Mini ghetto datacenter".

said by TomS_:

Dont know about tieing cat5 along side power... That cant be good for noise.

And this probably belongs in homephotos rather than bbphotos which is usually where you find pictures of bigiron.

I had thought of the power thing but to be honest in such a small setup my mentality was screw it. Also ahhhh see what you mean. Sorry bout that.

said by alphapointe:

Oh ya definitely for the dsl. And later used another pair in the same cat5 for another POTS line.

said by Hahausuck:

Are you using bread ties to bundle some of the cables?

Haha well...