Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Slack

Premium Member

to Slack

Re: [BC] Horrendous YouTube performance

Are you in Alberta?

There was a big problem with YouTube, that was fixed, but some more people in northern Calgary and a couple in Edmonton are reporting issues again.
deathray9
join:2012-01-26

deathray9

Im in Edmonton and Ive been having major youtube issues recently. Im on BB250 and the only way I can get any youtube HD to stream properly is to tether to my blackberry.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by deathray9:

Im in Edmonton and Ive been having major youtube issues recently. Im on BB250 and the only way I can get any youtube HD to stream properly is to tether to my blackberry.

Bridge mode or not?

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

4 edits

Baud1200

I've got mine running bridged on the 250 unlimited.. still having the YouTube issues even when i can saturate both upload and download to closer local nodes...
YouTube is literally the only one that is consistent on breaking up video content, usually streams fine for first 10 seconds and then its a pause every 3-5 seconds of play as it tries to catch up.
Guessing its cheap routing again, as Shaw will use the cheapest way to get your traffic where it needs to go, regardless of performance. I can count a period of 2 days it wasn't bad, and that was right after they upgraded southern Alberta (even though I am in Edmonton). During this time my p2p was pushing 1.5MB up for a 2 days (until i assume they got their monitoring and crippling gear set up on the newer system).

Couple days later it was back to the same filtered and throttled garbage and its been the same ever since. Its almost as though content passed from YouTube is getting affected by Shaw's p2p throttling system and seeing the negative impact of this. Worse than this its almost like they are using a QOS type of filtering where Business packages get the top level of traffic priority and the basic user packages get whats left over. I realize that these are strange accusations but this is exactly the type of inverse affect on performance that would happen in this case. I have a really hard time Understanding how clients are getting 8K/sec over high speed from my P2P when I call into Shaw and they tell me my node is not saturated and not using any throttling. How can you serve over 70 individual files with multiple users connecting to each one and not be able to break 3Mbit/Sec avg on a 15Mbit plan unless the client is connecting to you via IPv6 which Shaw isn't throttling. The last bit speaks for itself... with Shaw having no ability to throttle the connection it works fine. The only other remaining explanation is that everyone of the several hundred peers has THEIR ISP THROTTLING THEM, and this seems extremely unlikely. Also possible is the fact that their monitoring hardware itself is over saturated, and any traffic passing through monitoring will slow down regardless if its throttled or not. Are business package users also having this issue with YouTube, or does it seem limited to the home user packages??

I'm afraid that i have had this issue with Youtube over Shaw for so long that i am beginning to accept the fact it will never work properly, which is exactly what Shaw wants, the user to accept it and stop asking for it to work correctly.
Expand your moderator at work
Baud1200

1 edit

Baud1200

Re: [BC] Horrendous YouTube performance

said by Doonz See Profile
Yeah your a liar.

BTW im in Edmonton and Have no trouble saturating 250/15 and no performance issues on any sites.

Enough one line troll posts already. Lets see who the liar here is... You live in Beaumont, that's not Edmonton and is like comparing cable in Edmonton to cable in Sherwood Park.
But since you insist on trolling here, troll this link and see for yourself what level of YouTube streaming service Shaw provides.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9c9G0i0s
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Baud1200:

said by Doonz See Profile
Yeah your a liar.

BTW im in Edmonton and Have no trouble saturating 250/15 and no performance issues on any sites.

Enough one line troll posts already. Lets see who the liar here is... You live in Beaumont, that's not Edmonton and is like comparing cable in Edmonton to cable in Sherwood Park.
But since you insist on trolling here, troll this link and see for yourself what level of YouTube streaming service Shaw provides.

(youtube clip)

Actually I have residence's in summerside, millwoods and currently my brother as well in summerside. And there is no issue. Im guessing it most likely a problem with you pc

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

1 edit

Baud1200

You're guessing wrong....
There's more than one PC, and they all have the same results with or without connecting directly to the Cisco modem itself or using a switch/router in between. 2 of them are HP proliant servers, proprietary enterprise class hardware with no changes. Video taken above was from a 3 day old windows 7 install on a x980 CPU w/SLI 580GTX, its not using no cheap realtek onboard NIC either. Even different cables have been tried and everything upgraded to cat6.
»www.b-com.ca/INTEL-GIGAB ··· ess.html
Speedtest.shaw.ca showing 220/13 at this time yet the YouTube still suffers.