Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

[XPHome] Software to migrate xp install to bigger HD

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good program to copy all the data from a harddrive to a bigger harddrive so it boots and runs normally without any issues? Its an xp installation.

Thanks.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

Acronis True Image

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to OmagicQ

Will clonezilla work? I was hoping to avoid paying for a program to use once.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to OmagicQ

What company is the manufacturer of the new drive? If Seagate or Western Digital just download the free Sea Tools (don't recall what Western Digital calls it) from the respective websites. In both cases you will get a FREE version of Acronis TI. If you bought a Samsung drive you are out of luck.

I bought a new Seagate drive several years ago for my XP Pro machine and downloaded the free Acronis TI from Seagate website. It is identical to Acronis version 10 with the exception that you cannot make incremental backups with it ....only full backups and clone the original drive to the new, larger drive. It worked beautifully for me.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA

I haven't got a harddrive yet, I think i'll go that route to get the free tools. Thanks.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I had the name wrong (I am on my new Win 8 computer so couldn't check on XP). The Seagate software is called Discwizard (Seatools is other tools you will also want if you buy a Seagate drive).

»www.seagate.com/support/download···cwizard/

Here's a link to an article about it for both Western Digital drives and Seagate drives. It is NOT trialware. It is free...no strings attached. I can still use mine on XP where I have the Seagate drive I bought and installed about 4-5 years ago. At that time the version of Acronis was 10 and Discwizard used that one. I think it is still ver 10 used by Diswizard which is good because Acronis TI got pretty bad after ver 10).

»www.techhail.org/software/downlo···ves/6534
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OmagicQ

said by OmagicQ:

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good program to copy all the data from a harddrive to a bigger harddrive so it boots and runs normally without any issues? Its an xp installation.

Thanks.

»dottech.org/6194/7-free-software···ost-etc/

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to OmagicQ

Do not use the newer versions of WD or Seagate they are based on Acronis and V12 borks your OS.

See here »www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre···t=316447

try this

»www.directron.com/ghosting.html

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to OmagicQ

Yes, clonezilla will work. The following site shows how »clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-con···sk_clone

You will also need the GParted program to resize the disk after cloning.