how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

weetoots

join:2003-09-08
Honolulu, HI

[VoIP] Modem dropping calls and rebooting

I have a SA DPC2203 Modem/eMTA. I has an annoying habit of dropping calls. The phone rings, caller ID seen on tv screen, pick up the phone to say hello and the modem reboots.
I talked to tech support and he that maybe the modem gets interference from the following, Uniden 5.8 GHz cordless phone, my Linksys E4200 router, 2.4 & 5 GHz or my Canon wireless printer MX870.

My router is in another room, through 1 wall and a closet, about 8-10' away. Coordless phone, also through 1 wall and a closet, about 10' away. Printer located in same room, but it is not always on.
I have tried turning off the cordless phone, the printer, the router. Sometimes all or 1 at a time. I use my cell phone to dial the home number.

Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. So I can't nail down what piece of equipment is causing the problem.

This is the second modem, so it may not be the modem.
Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
Please post your line stats for the DPC2203 ... located at »192.168.100.1 . - This is for the modem, although the signal will be about the same for the phone portion..

It is very unlikely the cordless phone, the printer, or router is causing a problem... if you have a tech come out for the phone, have them change the SA DPC2203 for the Arris eMta that TWC also uses..
The Arris verisions seem to have less problems; I used to have TWC cable VoIP service.. started with the SA DPX2203 [very similar model to the DPC2203] and ended up with the Arris TM602G version..

[I canceled after dealing with probems largely outside my house and with significant problems with the service.]

weetoots

Honolulu, HI

1 edit
Name
SA DPC2203
Modem Serial Number
Cable Modem MAC Address
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hardware Version
Receive Power Level
-4.1 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
43.2 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational
Vendor
Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.
Boot Revision
2.1.6lR7

Software File Name and Revisions
The data shown in the table below provides information about the firmware of your cable modem.

Firmware Name
dpc2203-P10-0-v202r1262-110525as.bin
Software Revision
dpc2203-P10-0-v202r1262-110525as

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to weetoots
Verify the power adapter is rated the same as the modem requests.

AMDUSER
Premium
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to weetoots
said by weetoots:

"..
Receive Power Level
-4.1 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
43.2 dBmV
.."

Both the upstream and the downstream are within normal ranges.. If you call up TWC because of the phone, have them do a line monitor- from the office*... basically, what that will do is record the signal levels, and help determine if there is any line noise issues.. - which can cause the phone service to have problems..

*They can also come to your house to install a line monitor as well.. However, you will not be able to call in for 30 days if they do it from the office.

How old is the SA DPC2203 ... SA eMTA equipement tends to start having problems have a couple years or so. Usually, the build / assembled date will be on the side / or bottom of it. [Month / Year]

Please edit out you Cable Modem mac address...

Also, try posting in »Time Warner Cable Direct ... Please post your name, address, phone # (so they can contact you), the account number, and the problems.. Please do not post a reply until after someone from Time Warner Cable responds, or it will take longer to get around to helping you.

Let them know that you have been having problems with the phone service, have had a tech come out (let them know what the tech did) and that you are still having problems with the phone service. Please ask for the Arris eMTA as well.. [what you are experiencing sounds like most of the probems I was having with SA DPX2203.. it flaked out.-]

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to weetoots
Take the modem to a local office and swap it.

weetoots

Honolulu, HI
reply to weetoots
Thanks guys,

SA DPC2203 HW Rev: 1.1, 09/09
I checked the power supply and it is 12v 1.0A

weetoots

Honolulu, HI
To all who responded, a BIG thank you. The Cable guy came today and replaced my DPC2203 with a new ARRIS TG862.
No more problems.

AMDUSER
Premium
Earth,
I told you the Arris was better.. ..Well, the problems disappeared anyway.

weetoots

Honolulu, HI

Re: [VoIP] Modem dropping calls and rebooting Solved

AMDUSER Kudos to you.