Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic

Re: The Steam box has been revealed.

said by TheBionic:

Steam gives ridiculous deals on almost-new games all the time with their sales.

Yup, I picked up Batman AC on their last big sale.

It's not the digital versions I'm against, I'm against paying the same price for it as I would the hard copy in the store. At least with the hard copy, I get box art, manual art (sometimes), which adds value to the purchase.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by captokita:

said by TheBionic:

It's not the digital versions I'm against, I'm against paying the same price for it as I would the hard copy in the store. At least with the hard copy, I get box art, manual art (sometimes), which adds value to the purchase.

I'm sure the argument Steam or EA (with Origin) would use is that they have to pay for the bandwidth on their end that allows them to upload it to you, and that they also have to pay for the space to keep the file stored so you can always redownload it. And you're also paying for the service that automatically updates your software, etc etc. I'm sure they could even come up with a few things I haven't even thought of. Probably just a basic convenience fee so you don't have to leave your house (I saw this one cited a lot with the last two World of Warcraft launches).

That being said, I was really disappointed when I cracked open Forza Horizons and found...no manual.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
said by captokita:

said by TheBionic:

I get that Cap, but my argument is with known sales like the Steam sales, you're effectively getting a hell of a discount for buying digitally. Not right at release, no, but often very soon after, at prices not regularly matched in B&M or online stores with physical copies.