Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Rosewill Tachyon 1000w Plat/Mod PSU Review

»www.overclockers.com/ros ··· y-review

For those looking for a legit review on the PSU, here's the conclusion:

I have to admit that I was skeptical when I first got this unit, the name Rosewill hasn’t gone very far to impress me in the past. Having tested this unit I am now looking at Rosewill in a new light! The regulation is excellent, the 12 V regulation is straight up epic. It’s unfortunate that the 5 V and 3.3 V rails couldn’t do a better job (am I really complaining about less than 2% regulation?) and get the unit below the 1% mark. Still, it’s very very good. Ripple control on the 12 V rail is quite good as well. The 5 V and 3.3 V rails are acceptable bordering on good, not really anything special either way when it comes to ripple control. The fan really was silent up until full load, largely because it wasn’t turning! After that it was extremely quiet, up until ~35 °C intake air temperatures at which point it sped up quite a bit and got louder. Still not bad at all, but definitely not silent. The cable selection is good. I find the two hardwired CPU power cables annoying, but it’s not rare nor is it a staggering issue. We do get plenty of PCIe cables. You cannot plug the modular cables in incorrectly. I like this a lot. The lack of functional SCP is annoying, if not surprising. Build quality is good, I’d prefer that there was a MOV / TVS Diode in there, and neater soldering certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing. It’s good as is though, really. Price wise there is only one 1 kW platinum unit available for less money on Newegg. That is an Azza unit that is based on the same platform. Everything else costs more. This unit is $220, not bad for 1 kW of platinum! The Azza unit is $10 cheaper, but may or may not have the same Japanese capacitors. There are a few units in the $230 bracket as well. I’ll call the price of this unit “Good”, because it is.