MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: [X1] The New X2 - The "Evolution" of the X1

I wonder if I will get X2 or X1 first in my area. Kind of weird to not even have a full roll out of X1 while also announcing X2 as coming this fall.

I called in and talked to a CS and they said X1 was coming this fall in my area. Wonder if they will just skip X1 and go straight to 2
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

said by MSauk:

I wonder if I will get X2 or X1 first in my area. Kind of weird to not even have a full roll out of X1 while also announcing X2 as coming this fall.

I called in and talked to a CS and they said X1 was coming this fall in my area. Wonder if they will just skip X1 and go straight to 2

When they do launch the X2 it will most likely launch in trial markets just like the X1.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

An article on the Variety site yesterday:

Cable TV Scrambles to Play Catchup
By Todd Spangler, Variety - June 20, 2013
»news.yahoo.com/cable-tv- ··· 179.html

TWC trying to force exclusive channel contracts for cable (mentioned in the article) is an invitation for a DoJ anti-trust lawsuit.

Oh snap...

»consumerist.com/2012/06/ ··· etition/
rog2867
join:2012-02-08

rog2867

x2 is just a software update that moves things to cloud based. I just got my x1s they work great, needs a plus day feature though no way to move forward days in the guide all the rest is great.

wco
@sbcglobal.net

wco

Anon

I got a flier in the mail for this. This is with all the supermarket ads, as opposed to the letters that Comcast also sends for various deals.

When I go to Comcast.com and put in my address, it's not clear that the X1 is even available.

Has anyone gotten this in the Bay Area?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

A "Bauminator" blog item on Entropic's chips and support for RDK-based devices:

The Power of Fear
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 3, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· wer-fear
TonyGstring
join:2013-06-27
Concord, CA

TonyGstring to wco

to wco
Yes, got it here in the East Bay in mid-June, although the tech did not bring anything other than the X1.

Had them come out to "install" the boxes (STB or satellites) yesterday for the Anyroom DVR, and when the guy swapped the X1 (it's a Pace box, think the short name for the model is "XG1"), it too along with the original one had a green light instead of the blue one shown in the ads or demos, or at least the ones I've personally seen.

They sent a third party contractor instead of an Xfinity employee and ended up doing the majority of the job myself. This guy was something else. Not only did he fail to clean or pickup after himself, he barely knew anything regarding the X1 and when it came to standard A/V issues, his knowledge (or lack thereof) was rather poor (easily the lowest of at least over a dozen techs I've interacted with), or he was just extremely lazy. Had to decline the install for 2nd STB in my room after figuring out the problem myself. A real piece of work...

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. Short answer: yes

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to novanosis

MVM

to novanosis
said by novanosis:

said by MSauk:

When they do launch the X2 it will most likely launch in trial markets just like the X1.

Yes, that's what it states about X2 in this article »www.twincities.com/busin ··· -tv-twin about X1 being launched in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area today:
quote:
But Comcast already is diluting the X1 excitement a bit by discussing X2, it's next television technology. Local customers might be forgiven for wondering why they should sign on to X1 if X2 sounds so much better.

All in good time, the company says.

X2, which was trumpeted at a television-industry trade show this year, will be available to only a tiny percentage of Comcast users later this year in a test capacity, said Charlie Herrin, Comcast's senior vice president of product design and development.

Its key features, including a miniaturized living-room terminal and Internet-stored recorded shows, remain in development.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I swear I think there are backroom deals when it comes to "selecting" these "test markets"

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

let's get the x1 to everywhere before we start on the x2. There ar some areas that will get the x2 before areas like mine (the keystone region) haven't even sniffed or touched an x1 yet.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I agree.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

An article today about a new iPad/iPhone app that's designed for the X2 platform:

Comcast testing cloud DVR app for iPad and iPhone
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - August 5, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-08-05
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

I beat Fiercecable with that news by 3 weeks

»New app for upcoming cloud DVR service
ComcastTech
join:2008-05-31

ComcastTech to telcodad

to telcodad
X1 will be deployed in every system by the end of the year. X2 will just roll out on top of it at the same time. Customers will then have the option with the 500gb dvr or the cloud.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

When will the X series software become mandatory?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

2 recommendations

cypherstream

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

I don't think they are just going to throw away millions of DCT/DCH-6412's 6416's, 3412's, 3416's or even the SA/Cisco HD/HDC 8000/8300.

I think the Motorola DCX and Cisco 8640HDC (and any RNG specification set top) has the processing ability to run X1, but what about all the old stuff?

Heck they still don't throw away those 15 year old DCT-2000's yet.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

said by Mike Wolf:

Heck they still don't throw away those 15 year old DCT-2000's yet.

A family member of mine who ordered triple play last year got a DCT2000 .

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think I read somewhere where the older boxes won't get the new software leaving them with I guide. Heck the old boxes can't even show a picture in the guide or do caller id on tv.
ComcastTech

ComcastTech to telcodad

to telcodad
there are only 2 boxes that will support the new guide. and those are the 2 x1 boxes (dvr and hd)

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Completely untrue as Ted has mentioned several times the plan is to roll out the X software onto the RNG boxes in the field, though he hasn't explained how yet.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Well it's fully possible that the old boxes could still be implemented on the cloud based OS »www.lightreading.com/set ··· 40137909 which I believe would take all the heavy lifting off the limited RAM and CPU in the box and just have it directed to an HTML5 web interface like a thin client having all it's processing done on the server end.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to ComcastTech

MVM

to ComcastTech
Well that does keep things simple on your end. You want X1, you get an X1 box (client or main dvr).

Techically speaking, the DCX series and any RNG specification series has the horsepower to run it (Memory, CPU, DOCSIS modem). I guess it depends on Comcast's long term plan if they wish to port X1 to those boxes, or port a thin client and run the majority of X1 on a server farm (akin to Citrix, VMware VDI, Terminal Services).

Supposedly ActiveVideo has that thin client solution that works down to the DCT-2000. Pretty amazing, however all your legwork is in the datacenter. A lot of business has been migrating to this thin client architecture over the last few years as well. A Citrix XEN farm or VMWare VDI solution with a big built up datacenter allows IT to push desktop images and do software refreshes at the click of the mouse. $300 dumb terminals replace the traditional $800 end user PC. You see a lot of that in Healthcare and Finance.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to mikedz4

to mikedz4
What boxes don't do caller ID to the TV?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

the dcts and dchs I do believe. I know the dcts don't do picture in guide.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

Those boxes support caller Id according to this:
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ller-id/
ComcastTech

ComcastTech to The Q

to The Q
dct 2000's don't have the memory to support CALLID/TV

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 recommendation

cypherstream to The Q

MVM

to The Q
Amazing the ancient SA Explorer 2000 supports it but not the Motorola DCT-2000. Shows how much superior SA platform was back then and how short sighted cable companies were at the time who picked a Motorola/GI platform back in the day. Who thought tan guide was a good idea on those ginormous turds with the weird loop coax in the back... When I first experienced digital cable I thought the SA2000 on SARA with Suscom (at the time) was much nicer than the Moto DCT2000 with Tan Guide on Comcast.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I miss SARA, because at least at one time it had the channel logos and stuff.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I remember that when I was visiting a friend who had Adelphia.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

I'm visiting a TWC area today. Using SA8300 HDC. It's better than SARA but not as good as Passport.