share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to globus9991

Re: Why is Tek still keeping logs???

said by globus9991:

2 - Legal reasons. I am not a lawyer but had my share of regulation analyzing. I just read the current copyright law and can find no place, whatsoever, where it indicates that an ISP *must* keep logs of any kind all the time, short of mandated by a judge (e.g. a specific IP is being sued by a rights owner and then it must be logged and existing logs retained). So, there are no valid legal reasons to keep ANY log whatsoever on an ongoing basis as a routine operation.

Try checking under other laws. There are legal reasons that aren't related to copyright that might require the keeping of IP logs.

globus9991

join:2004-11-14
Argelia
said by bt:

Try checking under other laws. There are legal reasons that aren't related to copyright that might require the keeping of IP logs.

Yes, and I can't find any. Actually all the laws I know of are *very* biased against having logs for privacy issues, such as PIPEDA.

Again, since Tek retained counsel, they should ask the counsel if there are actually any laws that require them to keep logs. I would be *extremely* surprised if there are any.

This is not to say that a lawyer may *recommend* keeping logs for CYA purposes. Then again, if this is the case it shows Tek's true colors.