join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to GTFan

Premium Member

to GTFan

Re: [X1] The New X2 - The "Evolution" of the X1

said by GTFan:

said by telcodad:

According to this article on the FierceCable site, the X2 will be unveiled at this year's Cable Show in June:

Roberts: Comcast will unveil new version of Xfinity X1 platform at The Cable Show
By Dan O'Shea, FierceCable - March 21, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-03-21

LOL, they can't even deliver a non-buggy X1, can't wait to see how the X2 looks when it gets rolled out 5 years from now.

Doesn't anyone read the actual article or the comments here? X2 is just a codename for a new revision to the X1. X1 has been undergoing lots of revisions since it has come out. "X2" is just a further evolution of the existing guide. It integrates a recommendations engine, otherwise it's the same guide. Comcast isn't even planning on differentiating it, it will just be a new feature that gets added to existing the X1 platform at some point....

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Yeah I know I just wasn't sure about which version was going to be deployed. thanks
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by GTFan:

said by telcodad:

According to this article on the FierceCable site, the X2 will be unveiled at this year's Cable Show in June:

Roberts: Comcast will unveil new version of Xfinity X1 platform at The Cable Show

LOL, they can't even deliver a non-buggy X1, can't wait to see how the X2 looks when it gets rolled out 5 years from now.

Doesn't anyone read the actual article or the comments here? X2 is just a codename for a new revision to the X1. X1 has been undergoing lots of revisions since it has come out. "X2" is just a further evolution of the existing guide. It integrates a recommendations engine, otherwise it's the same guide. Comcast isn't even planning on differentiating it, it will just be a new feature that gets added to existing the X1 platform at some point....

Does it really matter? The point doesn't change, Comcast rollouts take an eternity and every DVR is a bugfest. They like to announce all sorts of what look to be decent features then fail to deliver a good product in a timely manner. It's an LOL that they're even talking about an X2 when the X1 is still only available to a very small part of their footprint, and it's buggy as hell.

Satellite has already lapped the field here, cable is slowly playing catchup but usually it's just a bunch of promises.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

But don't we already know to take anything from Comcast with a big grain of salt at this point?

The X2 build is just being shown to an industry trade show. It's not being shown to end-users and they already admitted there's no timeline for deployment of the feature. It's basically just an extra that they're developing along side the existing base X1 features. If you read the big X1 thread here there's almost weekly updates being pushed out to end users. So it's not like this has somehow derailed or stopped development of the main base X1.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

True, I've already seen things about X3 ....
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Dude, you keep brining up X3. There is no X3 software, it's never been said anywhere.

You're confusing it with the "Xi3" reference design which is for the IP only client boxes. The Xi3 RDK was incorrectly reported as "X3" in a couple of news articles back in mid-2012. But it's never been used in reference to the guide software, it's was hardware only.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah ok, good.
Mike Wolf

3 edits

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Came across this video about XG5. I hope you guys like it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RqkAkqXg

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by GTFan:

said by telcodad:

Five years! What are you smoking sphery?! The X1 has been in development since at least 2008 (6 years+) and it's still severely buggy and available to less than approx 5% of the Comcast footprint! If the X2 ever does come, even as a guide update it won't be for at least a decade. I mean Comcast has been using the current iGuide since 99/00 (13 years+). I would be happy with anything Comcast was wiling to push. I wish they would simply give up on their own project and use one of the guides provided which could be pushed out tomorrow and great.

Comcast doesn't need to compete therefore they have no incentive to release new guides or features. The only time they have conceded was when HBO Go wasn't available on the Xbox 60 and a big kerfuffle was made and they finally relented. But they still didn't allow access to HBO Go for Roku or Samsung users. Why, because there aren't enou8gh users to make a stink. Dish, U-Verse and DirecTV do not (in most areas) have the luxury of having huge contacts with areas and having monopolies or duopolies in 99% of their footprint. They have to fight for every customers, where Comcast basically has an "old" OG revenue stream. Comcast doesn't compete on much except phone service and in a few areas where u-verse and FIOS are available internet.

5th

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Have you checked out the XG5 stuff?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Have you checked out the XG5 stuff?

I did and it looks pretty nice. I thought that's what they were talking about on the front page today: »Comcast Unveils New Home Gateway [20] comments

Though I read further and that one on the front page only bonds 16 channels. The one in the video bonds 24 channels for 900mbps throughput.

It's more on par with something like DirecTV's genie. Basically you have a main box with all the "real" tuners and then small clients on other TV's getting everything through IP over Moca.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

3 edits

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

»Comcast Unveils New Home Gateway [20] comments

That isn't XG5 since it doesn't do video. It's basically just a new wireless router with 5Ghz support and eMTA combo that will also support MoCA for networking, that customers can rent instead of just a basic cable modem or their standard (crappy) wireless router made by SMC for them.

Supporting MoCA for networking (instead of just for AnyRoomDVR) is first for Comcast I believe, and something Mike Wolf has been clamoring for

»www.businesswire.com/new ··· -Fastest

The keywords in the PR: Wireless Gateway and Internet service

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I fell out of my chair when I read your post! Hmmm now to find out if or when it will be sold for retail as an option instead of the option to rent it. Or see about making it a requirement since people tend to be stubborn and not upgrade their equipment when new technology comes out. Yes I'm talking to you, people who are still using 8 year old set top boxes and DOSIS 1.1 modems The adage "If it works, don't fix it" doesn't apply here. You see the problem is is that people using the really old stuff and refuse to upgrade end up 9 times out of 10 complaining about Comcast (unfairly) and not getting the fastest speeds and best television service, and when we suggest to them a service call to find out the cause, they then complain about how much of a hassle it would be to schedule an appointment or not wanting to be charged for the visit. I see it all the time. If they just kept up on having the latest and greatest technologies, there wouldn't be a problem. There are exceptions of course but that's for another rant
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Hmmm now to find out if or when it will be sold for retail as an option instead of the option to rent it.

Good luck with that, it says it's made by Cisco, so I bet it's only sold to MSOs :-/
Comcast being the first and probably exclusively for a year or something like that.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's fully possible, but don't forget, the same thing was said about the Cisco DPC3000 and DPC3010 when they were first introduced and now they're available for retail.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

That's fully possible, but don't forget, the same thing was said about the Cisco DPC3000 and DPC3010 when they were first introduced and now they're available for retail.

Right. As I said I bet Comcast has some exlcusivity agreement to hold it for a year or something. Then yeah you might find it in retail.

It looks like it's something in this product family, but there's zero information beyond a general category description:
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· dex.html

Or this plus MoCA support:
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 662.html

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Anything with an eMTA built in is NOT FOR SALE.

Rental only. I think because of e911 liability issues.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

That seems to have changed in the last year or so, you can get Comcast certified eMTA's at select Best Buys
»www.comcast.com/digitalv ··· icemodem

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Sphere is right, I've seen them for sale on Amazon as well as through BestBuy and other legit online retailers. It's just hard to find them for some reason. I do agree that there are some complications regarding e911 but I would assume that when setting it up with Comcast they would assign the e911 info to the device upon pairing with the account. But yes liability always causes problems.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I was referring to the model without the eMTA but yes liability fears always get in the way of progress

Assuming such a variant is made...

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Let's hope but even if not, keep in mind this may not just be opening the door, but blowing out an entire wall, to introducing a whole new wave of products using this technology integration.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by cypherstream:

That seems to have changed in the last year or so, you can get Comcast certified eMTA's at select Best Buys

Comcast also may be coming out with an eMTA purchase program with Amazon soon, according to this recent post in the HSI forum: »Re: No eMTA's available at local BestBuy (Comcast) Kiosks.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Let's hope but even if not, keep in mind this may be not just opening the door, but blowing out an entire wall, to introducing a whole new wave of products using this technology integration.

Indeed. *fingers crossed*

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by cypherstream:

Hmm, well they only list Best Buys in Eastern / Western PA.

Ok so Central PA area does not allow you to own a modem. They are a different kind of "Comcast".

This isn't like McDonalds where you go in and order a Big Mac. It might have a Comcast / Xfinity logo, but they are not the same. No X1 yet in Central PA region either.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Definitely NOT true here; matter of fact, when I took my rental eMTA back, the CC counter rep even told me more & more people are bring back their rental units back to our office & buying their own...

However, CC does NOT make it easy to do this; our local BB quit carrying them awhile back, so both myself & someone in my office bought ours at a BB up in Joliet, which then had them shipped to our local BB. The local BB actually had another one come into the store as I was picking mine up - they told me anyone can come into our local store & order one from one of the stocking stores.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Maybe Comcast should do what Verizon does and have either an online store to sell products for their service, or have retail outlets or use their service centers as semi stores.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Mike Wolf:

Maybe Comcast should do what Verizon does and have either an online store to sell products for their service, or have retail outlets or use their service centers as semi stores.

Some accessories here:
»store.comcast.com/?Ecid= ··· C-100000

and retail store story with video (from utah):
»studio5.ksl.com/?nid=124 ··· 24751240

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
Came across another demo of the GX5

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MbRFw0Ao

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by Mike Wolf:

Came across another demo of the GX5
(youtube clip)

Nice find Mike! Jim Crammond must be the life of every party he goes too, lol! He must be a tech as he sure is no salesman. He looks like the worlds most uncomfortable weatherman. I kept waiting for him to say, "And Back to you Bill with the sport..." LOL! Comcast won't have these products ready for retail until 2020 the way they are going. But it looks amazing! I want it now!

5th

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Here's whats aggervating, I don't think Comcast has a clue as to how they are going to roll out the X1 software onto currently in place RNG set top boxes the same way they roll out standard updates without a professional installation (at customer's expense) since from what the higher ups have hinted at it uses MoCA which requires a POE adapter "that is installed correctly" Funny how an $8 part is going to throw us all in for a loop.