join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Jahntassa

Premium Member

to Jahntassa

Re: Liquid Cooled LED Bulbs

said by Jahntassa:

said by alkizmo:

My point is: It's not that simple. LEDs are only cost efficient in very limited applications, and even then those applications can simply be modified to use lower cost bulbs like CFL.

Not to beat the horse, but. LEDs are a good alternative to CFL for a number of reasons other than cost. CFL's aren't dimmable, aren't supposed to be mounted upside-down, and even with instant-on, still have a ramp-up time to full output. Not to mention the difficulty in finding a color temperature one likes, and that, due to the electronics, seem to have a shorter lifespan than what they should.

I'm not saying LED has all of that beat, but there are reasons other than cost to consider LEDs.

IMO cost is something that prevents LED's from being an alternative except for those with large disposable incomes. The average person does not have that kind of money to invest in them.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

said by Jack_in_VA:

IMO cost is something that prevents LED's from being an alternative except for those with large disposable incomes. The average person does not have that kind of money to invest in them.

It's more expensive but it's not like we're talking about mutual fund GMGWX which is a $10 million initial investment and most people can't get there if they wanted. LED bulbs are something anyone can buy if they want. The average person can afford them if they want unless you think the average person can't afford to eat out for $10-12 either. I think what prevents people from buying them is the ROI between CFL's and LED's. Most people just don't think long term so a 5 year break even isn't appealing. People want to save $7.50 today instead of $20.00 over the next 15 years. We want instant gratification!!!

*Disclaimer: Numbers are just an example. Actual numbers will vary depending on a lot of factors.*

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I disagree. The family struggling to provide housing, food, clothing, healthcare is not going to have that kind of money available. We in our affluence have lost sight of the conditions most people have in their daily lives.

I can well afford them but I don't intend to buy anything that over-hyped and over-priced.

Right now IMO they are a niche "feel good" product. Nothing more. The price has got to come down dramatically for LED to be anything else.
quote:
A niche market is the subset of the market on which a specific product is focusing. So the market niche defines the specific product features aimed at satisfying specific market needs, as well as the price range, production quality and the demographics that is intended to impact. It is also a small market segment.
A market segment of people with ample income as to be able to discount and ignore the high cost of a product.