how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jezus

@sdc-dsc.gc.ca
reply to CingKrab

Re: Distributel in Ottawa down?

Still down in the east-end of Ottawa. I am able to browse certain web sites with a direct connection to the modem. However, results seem to vary with some sites taking forever to load, or are partially loaded - almost as if there is major packet loss.

Distributel website now indicates all of Ottawa as affected.

orleans3web

@openskytelcom.net
Yeah, I'm on the St-Laurent POI with 3web and have been affected since Dec. 3rd (was out of the country on vacation before then), so it might of started earlier. My ticket got lumped into a mass issue ticket last Friday, as more and more people are getting affected and calling in. What I've seen on my end is that the routing problems seem to be with resolving Canadian servers more then anything else. Changing DNS servers doesn't do crap either.

Interestingly enough today, I'm working from home and I VPN to work (US servers) on my laptop. I noticed that all my Canadian websites were resolving just fine. So I visited privateinternetaccess.com and signed up for a month of VPN. Problem solved instantly. So if your tired of waiting for this to get resolved, sign up for a VPN service.

As a side note, I did some research on a good VPN service, and this one was referenced a lot. The setup was painless and the speeds are amazing. I have a 28 / 1 connection, and I'm downloading torrents at 2 mb/s for the last 30min. without any problems while surfing.

Good alternative for 7$ until they can fix this problem.

orleansweb7

join:2012-12-12
Orleans, ON

1 edit
reply to Jezus
double post...

barrist

join:2010-05-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to orleans3web
Interesting. I hadn't gone down at all through this, but I just thought this was because my area wasn't affected. But you reminded me I'm using unblock-us to get US Netflix so maybe that's why I'm still up?

CingKrab

join:2002-12-31
Are you connected through a router or do you have the modem connected directly to your computer? My router cannot get an IP period in the WAN side.

barrist

Ottawa, ON
I'm through a router.

More than likely its just my area not being affected.

My parents are still down in South Keys from last week which is pretty damn ridiculous.

CingKrab

join:2002-12-31
I think I'm on the same POI as your parents as my connection has also been down since last Friday. Ridiculous is right. I know it's technically not their problem, but obviously filing tickets to Rogers is not working and they've got to escalate the issue somehow. In the end it's Distributel that's looking bad for not stepping up for their customers, not Rogers.

KC7

join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON
reply to barrist
said by barrist:

I'm through a router.

More than likely its just my area not being affected.

My parents are still down in South Keys from last week which is pretty damn ridiculous.

South Keys? I'm in South Keys (East of Bank) I've been up all this time, but I use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) didn't skip a beat.
My router did drop and I had to "renew" my WAN IP with the modem, but that was the only strange happening.

barrist

Ottawa, ON

1 edit
Interesting,

i'll have to take a look . i believe they just have their router set up with all the default settings, no dns entries

EDIT: just got an email from my parents saying they were back up this morning

Sammy

@telus.com
reply to KC7
Been having DNS issues for about a week now too out in the west end. Lost connection last Wednesday and didn't come back up until Friday morning, now its down again. Not good, its final exam time! Still am waiting on a repair technician, order was placed last Thursday, roommate thinks of she upgrades it will be better. Maybe if she upgrades to a new ISP. Problem with DNS happens both with router and direct connection. Will try using alternative DNS like you mentioned, so frustrating...

Sammy

@telus.com
reply to orleans3web
Edit: looks like its back up for now anyway