All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul to globus9991

to globus9991

Re: Why is Tek still keeping logs???

Could there not be an option to opt out of logs?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

We need logs for many other reasons.

Spammers, abuse, troubleshooting. Usage.

We also get court ordered abuse/hacking cases unrelated to copyright.
globus9991
join:2004-11-14
Argelia

globus9991

said by TSI Gabe:

Spammers, abuse, troubleshooting are all tech reasons. If they happened, how exactly will this help you? What's done is done. If they are happening then you can log specifically on or about the problem. Clever ISPs use trigger software instead of logs. Logs are cumbersome and obsolete. Real-time or near-real time is the way to go. This is *exaclty* what the Swedis ISPs did and it worked OK for them. Not need to have widespread logging.

Usage? You don't need to log IPs. Just session start, end and bytes transferred (if the account is limited). Many ISPs do just that.

Court orders? Sure. But *only* when you receive one. If you don't have any logs then you simply report so. If this is not the case, please provide a reference to at least 1 Canadian Law that mandates widespread logging.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

I don't see how logging DHCP IP addresses helps with spam or abuse, and my experiences with TSI tech support have never included any look at past history beyond a couple of days, even when further back might have helped.

I don't see any case here for keeping logs of my connection beyond a few days, or perhaps a billing period at the most, other than in exceptional circumstances. So please stop it.

funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

one doesnt need an to keep ip addresses 90days to make a nice pie chart or chart on usage....

if you get court order on a person then log them

spammers and abuse again if you get a complaint then log said ip/abuse. No need of 90days or more for everyone.

webalizer in fact can use said data make a chart and after the chart is made it/you can dispense with any logged ips.

in fact by default all https traffic on apache web servers is not logged HOWEVER if one wants logging you can turn it on and get a feel of usage for a time, a script can be written at the end of a month to clean out logs , and i bet 1 3rd of the logs would be a heck of a lot easier on whatever systems you are using.

im pretty sure most people would agree with most of what i say.