Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

coldengrey

join:2011-07-08
Michigan City, IN

Have TriplePlay w Voice and Think modem is "end of Life&quo

Hello,
Was recently looking to buy my own Cable modem to cut the $7/mo fee I'v paid for about 10++ years.

Having Voice, I know I need an eTMA compatible modem.
Was reading Comcast's compatible modem requirements and "end of life' equipment..

So Multi part question:
1) The Comcast Modem they've supplied, I believe is not up to the current tech specs they've listed to achieve max performance. Actually stated significant loss of max speed potential if not current specs..

My voice/data modem: THOMSON DHG536
»www.speedguide.net/routers/techn···ith-1306

According to comcast if modem is not DOCSIS 3.0, you will not achieve close to max performance.
Specs show MY Comcast supplied modem is only: DOCSIS 2.0.
It does NOT even appear to have GIGABIT ETHERNET PORT...

Q1a) Should I demand a newer, up to date tech specs, modem?
My supplied modem IS NOT even listed on their fully compatible hardware page....

----

2) If I choose to purchase MY OWN Voice/Data Modem, to cut the lease fee, which mfr/model would you recommend.?

Comcast has a list of compatible modems, but don't think it's listing any of the voice eMTA modems....
Here: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/mydev.php?e=1

Appears they've ONLY LISTED ARRIS MFR;s, whith BOTH:
IPv6, DOCSIS 3.0

Q2a) Which Voice/Data Modem would you recommend and best prices (optional)... Needs to be IPv6 and COCSIS 3.0 FOR SURE, right; cause I'm NOT buying another in few years!!

Thanks, Hopefully you guys/gals can follow what I'm trying to figure out with my unorganized ramblings

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Re: Have TriplePlay w Voice and Think modem is "end of Life

The device list you linked is displaying all end-of-life equipment.

Non-DOCSIS-3 (EOL) Comcast-owned equipment will eventually be replaced sometime in the near future, as a matter of course.

You should be able to go to a service center and swap yours out if you decide to keep renting.

The are only two Comcast approved telephony equipment vendors; Arris, with the most recent model being a TM822G and Ubee, DVM3203B

I would call first, if you intend to purchase a voice eMTA to confirm your area allows customers to do that and to verify the model that you intend to buy is compatible.

Keep in mind that while you will save money in the long run by purchasing your own equipment, consider if you have any service issues, they will invariably point to your equipment as the suspect cause.

--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to coldengrey

said by coldengrey:

Hello,
Q1a) Should I demand a newer, up to date tech specs, modem?
My supplied modem IS NOT even listed on their fully compatible hardware page....

----

You don't have to demand anything. Just ask to swap the modem. I went to the local Comcast office and they gave me a Arris tm822g just like that.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to coldengrey

doxsis2 achieves most tiers performance just fine.

coldengrey

Michigan City, IN
reply to jack b

said by jack b:

The device list you linked is displaying all end-of-life equipment.

Non-DOCSIS-3 (EOL) Comcast-owned equipment will eventually be replaced sometime in the near future, as a matter of course.

You should be able to go to a service center and swap yours out if you decide to keep renting.

The are only two Comcast approved telephony equipment vendors; Arris, with the most recent model being a TM822G and Ubee, DVM3203B

I would call first, if you intend to purchase a voice eMTA to confirm your area allows customers to do that and to verify the model that you intend to buy is compatible.

Keep in mind that while you will save money in the long run by purchasing your own equipment, consider if you have any service issues, they will invariably point to your equipment as the suspect cause.

If modem is of the fully approved variety, should limit amount of blaming they can do...?

coldengrey

Michigan City, IN

1) What is the differences between the Approved Arris Models
a) TM702G vs. TM722G vs. TM622G
b) What does the IMS and NCS represent? Two different models?
*C) How much and where can any of these be bought???
(Approved Arris Models)

TM702G (IMS)
TM702G (NCS)

TM722G (IMS)
TM722G (NCS)

TM822G (IMS)
TM822G (NCS)

2) How are the Arris vs Ubee (performance, cost, availability?)
a) difference between below models?

Ubee DVM3203B (IMS) Ubee(formerly Ambit) DOCSIS 3.0 Telephony Mode ✔ ✔
Ubee DVM3203B (NCS) Ubee (formerly Ambit) DOCSIS 3.0 Telephony Modem? ?