spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Sprint 3G has gone down hill

Sine summer of last year, 2011, I used a 3G Serra data card and would always get around 2 Mbps in the late evening and at least 1.5 Mbps during the day. I got the same speeds using my Android phone.

Now, a year later, I might see 1 Mbps in the late evening and daytime speeds jump around 100 Kbps to 600 Kbps.

I took my phone into a 4G area and was not impressed. A few times I saw it hold at 3 Mbps, but most of the time it would start off the speed test at 2 Mbps and drop to 1 Mbps half way through. 3G was around 200 Mbps at same time. This has been in the early evening.

Two words...over and loaded.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by WHT:

Sine summer of last year, 2011, I used a 3G Serra data card and would always get around 2 Mbps in the late evening and at least 1.5 Mbps during the day. I got the same speeds using my Android phone.

Now, a year later, I might see 1 Mbps in the late evening and daytime speeds jump around 100 Kbps to 600 Kbps.

I took my phone into a 4G area and was not impressed. A few times I saw it hold at 3 Mbps, but most of the time it would start off the speed test at 2 Mbps and drop to 1 Mbps half way through. 3G was around 200 Mbps at same time. This has been in the early evening.

Two words...over and loaded.

I tried Sprint here in Denton a while back when I wanted to upgrade to a 4G hotspot and they were cheaper. Worst decision ever. The coverage was horrid and when I did get service the speeds sucked. I sent the hotspot back in their postage pre-paid envelope they sent me and am still waiting on my refund over a month later. I am never trying Sprint again and have been telling everyone I know.
kem09030
join:2004-11-29
Rushville, IL

kem09030

Did they send you a WiMax or LTE card? Looking at the maps it doesn't matter as coverage looks to be spotty. If you had LTE you were probably on a test site in town. From looking online the test sites do show low speeds like that. Once they fully go live the speeds jump up. It may have just been a timing thing.

I dumped data on my phone (old plan) as it was so slow. Once I move to an area with decent data I will probably upgrade. Until then...I will continue on with my rugged flip.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

It was a Tri-Fi Wimax and LTE hotspot. The coverage and service sucked even in areas where I had LTE like Houston and Dallas. I decided to not close my Verizon account and upgraded that hotspot to LTE instead. Their service and coverage are great. I also have an AT&T LTE phone and it is much better than Sprint also.