So...

Netflix "tops out" at about 2.5?

Anon23

@vzbi.com

megaBYTES

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Actually, no, "MBPS" is notation for 'megabits per second' (presuming Netflix is using it correctly--can one ever really presume that of Netflix?). Supposedly, they're referring to speed, not throughput.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

trackdrew

join:2008-08-28
Columbia, MD

Mbps = "mega bits per second"
MBps = "mega bytes per second"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_···:_b_vs_B

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Netflix capitalized all of the letters (which is, basically, "wrong"). Also, 'mbps' is correct, not 'Mbps', for megabits per second (the 'm' representing '1,000' and not '1024'--speeds are always in decimal, not binary).
--

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Cisco uses Mbps over mbps. Therefore that is more or less the industry standard, regardless of what is technically correct.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Anon23

if it's megabytes, then those numbers still don't make much sense.
google fiber's connection should still be much faster than that.
and Cablevision, for example, doesn't have enough "Boost(+)" or "Ultra" customers to weight regular 15/2 numbers so much higher to get 2.15megabytes/sec.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit
reply to silbaco

That's like saying the hard drive manufacturers are "correct" to use GB to represent 1 billion bytes. It's not really correct, but they all do it, and we all know what they mean. A gigabyte is 1 billion bytes (because it's a metric/decimal term, though TBH it's quite acceptable for one to use it when "spelling out" GB--many do, but if you're going to spell it out and mean binary then you should use GigaByte instead->); but a GB is not (because it's binary notation). That's what "notation" is all about--conveying accurately what is meant. Thanks, but I'll continue to always use correct and proper notation regardless of what any vendor or the ISO (or Netflix) says.

Edit: I should point out, I suppose, that it's fairly irrelevant whether the first letter is capitalized when you're following it with 'bps'--which always means 'bits per second'. So whether it's 'Mbps' or 'mbps', the 'm'/'M' still refers to a decimal value (back to that whole comm. speeds always being decimal thing).

--

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online

1 recommendation

reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

I believe everyone that replied to you didn't understand your point.

From the chart you can see, for example, Frontier at 1.49 and from this you can deduce that the figures are in Mbps, as in megabits. If the figures were to be in MBps then Frontier would be delivering on average 12 Mbps and I'm assuming this is not the case.

So this figures are in Mbps and one suddenly realizes how low they are. The fact that Google Fiber and FIOS are at 2.55 and 2.19 respectively, tells you that Netflix is the one bottlenecking with their upload. There's no doubt Google Fiber and FIOS could download faster than 2.55 and 2.19 megabits per second IF the server (Netflix) allowed it.

And that's what I think you meant by your post: that Netflix is the one that seems to top out at 2.5
--
math PhD student (University of Miami)

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

It says average speed, not peak. The quoted comment also goes on to clearly indicate average speeds are way way below peak speeds. So users streaming HD content would definitely be quite a bit higher than that.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

reply to Moropo

Yep, you said it way more thoroughly than I did with my off-the-cuff remark.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to 34764170

Yeah, if I were actually thinking about it when I typed it, then I probably would've said "leveled out" (guess I was thinking more of the "top" of the chart? meh.).
--

folsom

join:2006-04-30
Atlanta, GA
reply to NotTheMama

If you're going to use correct notation, then Mega = M. m = milli. Unless you think 1MHz = 1mHz.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by NotTheMama:

It says average speed, not peak. The quoted comment also goes on to clearly indicate average speeds are way way below peak speeds. So users streaming HD content would definitely be quite a bit higher than that.

Now did you really expect someone to actually READ the blog post and get that info for themselves?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to folsom

You seem to forget that the scope here is IT. We have our own notation that has worked well for many decades.
--

skuv

@rr.com
reply to MxxCon

said by MxxCon:

if it's megabytes, then those numbers still don't make much sense.
google fiber's connection should still be much faster than that.
and Cablevision, for example, doesn't have enough "Boost(+)" or "Ultra" customers to weight regular 15/2 numbers so much higher to get 2.15megabytes/sec.

The numbers make sense because Netflix does not stream much faster than that.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

because they're throttling EVERYONE.

laughable is the gigabit speeds on google fibre but with netsux throttling manages only 2.5mbps
--
Despises any post with strings.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by dvd536:

said by NotTheMama:

because they're throttling EVERYONE.

laughable is the gigabit speeds on google fibre but with netsux throttling manages only 2.5mbps

No, they're not. You clearly did not read the post nor understand what the word average means or that the numbers are an average for both SD and HD content.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to dvd536

It's fairly well-known that you don't need 1gbps in order to stream an HD video. In fact, you can get by with only a few mbps (sustained). I'm sure many of the folks on Google fiber (and every other ISP) have other things they use their connections for...
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

3 edits
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

Netflix capitalized all of the letters (which is, basically, "wrong"). Also, 'mbps' is correct, not 'Mbps', for megabits per second (the 'm' representing '1,000' and not '1024'--speeds are always in decimal, not binary).

no the Case of the B is important, but actually lower case M technically would be millibits per sec. MB and Mb apply for Mega Bytes and bits...on the Net the M can really be either easily taken in context the B can't be, but tech m is mil and M is Meg.

Again the B is very confusing misused, but no one really thinks a wall wart PS has a 100 M(ega)amp output. It should be and usually is 100ma. But do some times see batteries and and PS labeled as Ma or MA which is semi wrong as there is no case to a,v, or w and can be either way and mean the same but even if capped should be mA for mil and MA for meg.

And cable has gotten fast but no one has a 20(m)illi bit connection (mbs) would be ultra slow (less than dial up)... its a 20(M)ega bit (Mbs)
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

As I said, we in IT don't care about the ISO BS. Binary is not metric. Get over it... or should I say, get over IT.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

said by NotTheMama:

As I said, we in IT don't care about the ISO BS. Binary is not metric. Get over it... or should I say, get over IT.

Realy???? Just put things in any arbitrary terms you want and no one but you have a clue what you are really talking about??? Now there is a great way to get ahead in the world.

BTW you do know ISO stands for International Standards Org.... you know so we are all on the same page???

Hey people like you said hell with ISO we are ASA (American) only our film numbers mean anything... well not if they wanted to market to the rest of the world and not dual label everything.

Sorry America is not really king of the world any more and it is a global environment.

That we still hang onto inches and crap (the English that invented it long haven't, and we did revolt but hung onto that crap?) is just absurd.... there is no one in the world but us that aren't Metric...

So much simpler everything is a multiple or divisor of 10.... but what the heck is an inch related to a yard or 5,230 ft (MI) or a pound to a teaspoon with out major math vs again just moving a decimal point around... its just plain STUPID.

1mm is 1000th of a meter or 1,000,000th of a km no complicated conversion just moving the decimal point.

then again we are for so far confused (by so much simpler) even minor such simple thing can't be comprehended, but so good at being arrogantly globally policy stupid, and widely despised.

Wonder why? WE CAN'T HANDLE JUST SIMPLY MOVING A DECIMAL PONIT??? Well like DUH... Wow that is a horribly simply issue?

Seems simple but really a measurable parameter of how absurdly we are king and rest of the world sees as SIMPLY STUPID, vs ever getting into socio politics.

You can in 5 sec move a decimal point in your head there really isn't much hope for us. (Want to challenge Rush Limbaugh or O'Rielly on mental metric conversion.... simple as it is sure they both without rehersal would likely fail simple as it is)

Some times hearing likes of you wonder if IT isn't really acronym for = Idiocy Terminus.

Like you said get over yourself and be globally REAL and hey simple while you are at it..

--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

You understand neither plain English nor good manners. If you cannot respect the standard practices of other industries and professions, then you deserve no respect yourself.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

3 edits

Yet you are everyone BS know all Mama... OK You alone know everything as your prodigious posts (more than anyone) here prove.

But thank you for your corp input we can screw anyone and good for us... the world is wising up to your I'm IT an all that BS even though many of you prove yourselve's clueless some stupid cred you bought not earned matters and means you know everything .

Again 5 years or so down the road get back to me.... I was right and you F'd the world in the meantime.
--

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to NotTheMama

Click for full size
Mbps is correct in the context:

Mbps: megabits/second
mbps: millibits/second

P.S. since I see you got told what was correct and insist (wrongly) it doesn't apply to IT, I attached proof of use otherwise. Look at this graph. Note how VERY important the difference between Mb/s and mb/s is.