Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: [Serious] Nurse who transferred prank call commits suicide

said by DKS:

said by FFH5:

Aussie radio station giving $524,000(US) to nurses family. Sounds like a little bit of guilt and a lot of PR to me.
»www.cnn.com/2012/12/11/w ··· pt=hp_c2

Conditional on the family not launching a lawsuit?

Maybe, but there's a lot more to suggest that it's self-serving. They've had a moratorium on commercials for a few days, and are now saying, come on back, advertisers, and the proceeds will go to the family. Attract advertisers back and rehabilitate their image all at the same time!

The radio station is doing what a business does -- they are being a business.

My only problem with your surprisingly intemperate assessment of the DJ's guilt on this -- and I've agreed throughout this discussion that they're a couple of jerks -- is that justice must be tempered and reasonable and consider the circumstances. The court of public opinion here is to throw them under the bus. The evidence suggests that they never intended for the prank to actually work (would you really have someone pretending to bark like a dog in the background and the Queen saying something about feeding her Corgis if they seriously wanted to get through and get information from the hospital?). And IMHO, the evidence also suggests that the DJ's are genuinely shocked and remorseful, which is not necessarily inconsistent with the fact that they probably are also a couple of jerks, and their employer apparently even worse. Life is rarely simple, and simple retribution is not always the best remedy.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I have no doubt they feel remorseful and sad for the tragic turn of events that they started. I'm sure they genuinely feel awful about it. They may be jerks, but they are still human.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by shaner:

I have no doubt they feel remorseful and sad for the tragic turn of events that they started. I'm sure they genuinely feel awful about it. They may be jerks, but they are still human.

I'll reserve judgement until I see how much this experience has taken the wind out of their sales.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Wolfie007

to Wolfie007
said by Wolfie007:

The evidence suggests that they never intended for the prank to actually work (would you really have someone pretending to bark like a dog in the background and the Queen saying something about feeding her Corgis if they seriously wanted to get through and get information from the hospital?).

And they never thought about alternate scenarios? More importantly, the tape was reviewed by the lawyers prior to airing. Surely if anyone had doubts of the appropriateness of the tape they would have killed it. The station also attempted (they say) to contact the hospital on five occasions. They were unsuccessful. Yet the tape aired. A move in bad taste compounded by extremely poor, and possibly criminal bad judgement.

And IMHO, the evidence also suggests that the DJ's are genuinely shocked and remorseful, which is not necessarily inconsistent with the fact that they probably are also a couple of jerks, and their employer apparently even worse. Life is rarely simple, and simple retribution is not always the best remedy.

Did I suggest any penalty? Not I.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
there seems to be mixed reactions (sides) from various people:

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/s ··· -dj.html