spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Modem Fool

@comcast.net

[Rant] Avoid! They sell USED modems for price of new one!

Some jerk sold me a USED modem! Everything on the site indicated it was new, INCLUDING THE PRICE!

I got fooled by the ol' bait and switch.

Whatta Jerk!

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

That why, if I were to purchase a modem online, I would use Amazon. Even if the modem is through a third party merchant, Amazon's "A-to-z Guarantee" means you won't end up "holding the bag":

Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee Protection
»www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/···d=537868

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Modem Fool

What site?

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Modem Fool

IF I might ask, what does buying a used modem (which has been advised here in this forum many, MANY times to NEVER do) have to do with Comcast?

It would benefit us all IF we knew where you actually bought the modem...
--
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

That why, if I were to purchase a modem online, I would use Amazon. Even if the modem is through a third party merchant, Amazon's "A-to-z Guarantee" means you won't end up "holding the bag"

Amazon is not the best example of a seller whom you can depend upon to not ship used equipment that is advertised on their site as "new". I have received several obviously used DSL modem/router boxes from Amazon that were advertised as "new" equipment.

I would be more inclined to recommend a retailer such as Staples or Office Depot (from whom I have never been shipped a modem or router that still had a previous owner's configuration data still intact).

You are however correct that Amazon's return policy is good.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by NetFixer:

said by telcodad:

That why, if I were to purchase a modem online, I would use Amazon. Even if the modem is through a third party merchant, Amazon's "A-to-z Guarantee" means you won't end up "holding the bag"

Amazon is not the best example of a seller whom you can depend upon to not ship used equipment that is advertised on their site as "new". I have received several obviously used DSL modem/router boxes from Amazon that were advertised as "new" equipment.

I would be more inclined to recommend a retailer such as Staples or Office Depot (from whom I have never been shipped a modem or router that still had a previous owner's configuration data still intact).

You are however correct that Amazon's return policy is good.

Was it sold/shipped directly from Amazon or fulfilled by them? I have never had that issue and purchase equipment from them very frequently.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by nysports4evr:

Was it sold/shipped directly from Amazon or fulfilled by them? I have never had that issue and purchase equipment from them very frequently.

In at least one case that I recall, the Amazon order page called the modem/routers "new" and made no mention of their being shipped by a third party. However when I received the order, it was from a third party shipper, and the devices were quite obviously not "new". Based on the selling price, and the knowledge that the ISP for whom they were made had recently changed the model that they used, I expected them to be "surplus inventory", but not used equipment returned by customers.

In that particular case, I had a pressing need for one of the modem/router boxes, so I just did a factory reset and tested it thoroughly before putting it into service. I did the same for the one I had ordered at the same time as a spare. Since the devices did work properly (and the price was good), I did not use Amazon's return mechanism; but that experience did leave a bitter aftertaste which has influenced any future use of Amazon as a supplier (my assumption now is that anything they sell is not likely to be new equipment despite what the web site order page might claim).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to telcodad

Caveat emptor

Note the wording:

8 new or used available from $69.99

This is from the »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ link to »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ website 'powered by Amazon' .

I couldn't find a way to determine if I would get a used one or a new one. Other than a direct order from amazon .com on my own account that is.........

[edit]I folowed the checkout and ended up at »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···LJ721JWD

sold and shipped by Bargain Equipment. Still no condition report.
[edit] Bargain Equipment does reflect that that modem is NEW, just takes a bit to find it.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Modem Fool

Re: [Rant] Avoid! They sell USED modems for price of new one!

Like I've said countless times before, buy modems only at brick and mortar stores and only buy new ones that have the factory seals intact and unopened. There have been countless horror stories on modems bought online (including on Amazon). I buy my modems at the local Best Buy but Radio Shack and Target carry them as well. I don't like buying electronics at Walmart because they have been known to sell electronics as outdated as a VCR or cassette decks at or near full price (they'd sell a DOCSIS 1.0 or 28 kbps dial-up modem at full price if they had any left in their warehouses).

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Modem Fool

I don't think it's Comcast's fault that you bought a used modem somewhere on the internet...

quite frankly, you are partially to blame for not doing your homework before going out and buy a modem...

I sometimes don't understand why people blame the seller, get pissed and all when in fact you should do some little research and in this case, ASK a ton of questions....

Even if the description says new and its price comparable to a new one, you would actually fall for it? There's only one word to describe you.....and it starts with an s and end in r

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to THZNDUP

Re: Caveat emptor

These are the reasons I absolutely will NOT order anything from Amazon..

medbuyer

1 recommendation

said by ropeguru:

I don't see where the OP said he bought it from Amazon...

I'm not trying to side with anybody here but sometimes the buyer has got to put some common sense and intuition before buying anything....

Would you buy from an outfit that has the name Bargain as company name?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

said by medbuyer:

said by ropeguru:

I don't see where the OP said he bought it from Amazon...

I'm not trying to side with anybody here but sometimes the buyer has got to put some common sense and intuition before buying anything....

Would you buy from an outfit that has the name Bargain as company name?

Please look closer as to WHO I was replying to and the content of THEIR post. I was NOT replying to the, or about the, OP.

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Even if it comes from a link on the Comcast approved modem list page................

It shouldn't be too much of a leap to 'assume' how the anon poster, who hasn't come back, got his used modem. He did post on a Comcast HSI oriented message board.

There are listings for modems 'sold by and shipped by' Amazon as well as those 'sold by and shipped by' third parties. I wouldn't have a problem getting one from Amazon directly due to their return policy .

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

Exactly... LOL

So I missed that completely as it looked like the left hand side for the checkout was Amazon based.

Need more coffee!!!

medbuyer

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Please look closer as to WHO I was replying to and the content of THEIR post. I was NOT replying to the, or about the, OP.

I know and I saw that....I guess I hit the wrong button myself...

telcodad See Profile started with an Amazon reply and everybody just I guess started thinking about Amazon.

for all we know this anon bought his modem from Craigslist which is a completely different animal....

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Exactly... LOL

So I missed that completely as it looked like the left hand side for the checkout was Amazon based.

Need more coffee!!!

Follow the links in my post, starting at the Comcast My Device Info link and see where it ends up, it is Amazon based and ends up at Amazon checkout............
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

Yep... But I still need more coffee...

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
reply to Modem Fool

Basically you bought a Chevy and expect a Ford dealer to honor the warranty. As a former Comcast installer I saw that all the time, people buying modems and even computers that don't work or are out dated then its Comcast fault because they were bone headed and cheap. Sometimes it's better to buy items at the store where you get a receipt and you can take it back if it doesn't work. But common sense isn't common.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
reply to THZNDUP

said by THZNDUP:

said by ropeguru:

Exactly... LOL

Need more coffee!!!

Follow the links in my post, starting at the Comcast My Device Info link and see where it ends up, it is Amazon based and ends up at Amazon checkout............

Any time you go to Amazon you have to check to make sure it's sold by amazon.com and not another seller. It's been that way for years. When searching there the first thing I do is filter by seller.

Searching the site it looks like Amazon doesn't sell the 5341J, so all you will get are 3rd party vendors.

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard

2 edits

Guess you missed one.......

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-Telephonics-···em+5341j

I've had this bookmarked for a while, I believe they had about 16 at the time.

[edit]
Wrong link. That's an H model. Seems I was thinking of one sold by a different vendor and fulfilled by Amazon. Sorry.

The vendor for the Comcast link is now Express Goods not Bargain. Musical vendors and products...... I'd bet my original link started out for a J model from Amazon as well.

--

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Like I've said countless times before, buy modems only at brick and mortar stores and only buy new ones that have the factory seals intact and unopened.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to IowaCowboy

If the item is shipped and sold by Amazon then there won't be any problems as they would NEVER sell you a used product knowing it. brick and mortar stores are going the way of the mail service. If you know were to buy and how to read you won't have any problems.

But according to your post, because Staples, Worst Buy, and Office Depot having online stores, those to you should avoid because you didn't go in an deal with a pushy sales person?

There are great online retailers with no actual stores (as many businesses are going this way- including Best Buy- that's why the product is CHEAPER online). Online stores that are great:

-Tiger Direct
-MicroCenter
-Amazon.com
-Wal-Mart (yes Wal-mart).

and many many others.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Modem Fool

I have ordered many items from Amazon over the past several years. The few times that there was an issue (item was not as described/pictured, item had a problem, etc.), I was able to get it promptly replaced/refunded without a problem, whether it was from Amazon themselves or through one of their 3rd-party vendors.

The combination of Amazon's low prices, free "super-saver" shipping and, in many cases, no sales tax being collected, frequently makes their items the best deal around.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

1 edit
reply to Modem Fool

Click for full size
Nothing wrong with Amazon. Customer service is of a level one seldom sees. Pls note attached, if you ever need help and click on the 'call me' button, be ready, it happens right now. And it's a lot more than lip service, they actually solve problems.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

That's crazy. 107 orders (about 125 products) ordered to date in 2012. Literally, all were absolutely fine except for a product I accidentally purchased from a third party seller that was crappy.

Over the past 2 months I've spent just under $3K on bathroom fixtures, sinks, etc. Much cheaper and much faster shipping than any comparable stores, including plumbing type stores. A few items I got elsewhere because Amazon didn't carry them or prices were cheaper at the other store. But that was few and far between.

Amazon is one of the very finest of all retailers, not just online ones.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Modem Fool

I only buy modems new and I tend to stick with Motorolla. I know there are other brands of modems but as long as I and as long as friends have had cable internet it has always been a surfboard modem and the modem has never had a major issue.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports