spc
Search similar:

uniqs
muranternet
join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit

muranternet

[News] Funny thing I saw today, figured it might be relevant...

»www.legalmetric.com/case ··· 338.html

EDIT: Linked to the actual judgment because sperging. Search "morg" for fun.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Re: [News] Funny thing I saw today, figured it might be relevant

nm
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to muranternet

to muranternet
We better not talk about Usenet here, because it'll tip off a guy that used to run a Usenet indexer that Usenet exists and then he'll come after it! - Signed everyone who thinks they alone invented Usenet in the 80s and frantically posts that anyone else should shut up about it.
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to muranternet

to muranternet
That explains a lot. The guy is only trying to recover his $15,000,000 any way he can.
muranternet
join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit

muranternet

Article on the guy's history and his mysterious Twitter deletes:

»torrentfreak.com/anti-pi ··· -121212/

Edit:

»www.morganelligroup.org
»www.morganelligroup.net

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to muranternet

Premium Member

to muranternet
interesting he got sued and lost for running an indexer. I had no idea anyone was sued about that yet. Was he also doing other stuff too? So it seems all the indexers can be shut down pretty easy with a law suit.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by TOPDAWG:

So it seems all the indexers can be shut down pretty easy with a law suit.

At the end of the day, it's simple contributory infringement. There aren't really any complex legal arguments needed. If Person A helps Person B infringe a copyright, then Person A is contributorily infringing.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

said by TOPDAWG:

So it seems all the indexers can be shut down pretty easy with a law suit.

At the end of the day, it's simple contributory infringement. There aren't really any complex legal arguments needed. If Person A helps Person B infringe a copyright, then Person A is contributorily infringing.

Then one could argue that Google is just as guilty...
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

No. But there's no point in going through all of that again--it's been rehashed a gazillion times here.

Feel free to google "substantial non-infringing use".

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

Would you consider Usenet as a whole to have "substantial non-infringing use".
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I certainly would have a number of years ago because of all the text groups and technical discussion and whatnot. But I know that I see a lot more forums and the like and I haven't been on a text group in a long time to see whether those are still active. If they are active to this day, then I still think that way.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
it's not usenet we talking about. we're talking about the indexing sites that list nothing but copyrighted stuff. Them and google are so not even close to being the same thing.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
So if they were to index all of the posts, including the technical group texts posts on Usenet, sort of like Newzbin2's raw search it potentially could meet "substantial non-infringing use"?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

You could make a heck of a better legal argument for sure.

I'm just wondering whether the xxAAs are getting so strong that they're simply able to win their case by showing ANY entertainment being included. And then the other issue is, say you run one of these indexing sites, you would have to comply with the take down notices. So, in the end, you'd be left with mostly discussion groups.

But I would think that a binsearch type of service may survive a legal challenge, just like I think a Newzbin raw search would. That being said, if you allow or automate a substantially higher amount of music/movie/TV searches than say PC talk, Engineering talk, Physics talk, then I think the courts would say that it's a sham.

In other words, you better be very much like Google in terms of neutrality of search tools. I'd imagine if Google ever made a "Warez Search" like they have for "Image Search", we'd be hearing about it in the news.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to muranternet

to muranternet
Ohh this is good. I had a feeling this guy was a ex Usenet user and was just using this to cash in.