k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to mlord

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

said by mlord:

I forget, does the SB612x also use SPI flash?

Ya, for sure SPI flash. It is an 8MB chip though. The biggest concern is that you have to over wright both firmware images, because on the Motorola there is no dependable way of predicting which image will be booted.

I've got to run now, but more info to follow
--
electronicsguru.ca

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

Peachy. My current automatic rig for the DCM475 flashes both images regardless now too. Also does readback/compare to ensure reliable flashing.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by mlord:

Peachy. My current automatic rig for the DCM475 flashes both images regardless now too. Also does readback/compare to ensure reliable flashing.

Well, that's an entirely different issue, which might become an issue for us... The SB6120 pulls about .5A through the 3.3V supply, and there are sometimes issues getting the flash to ID properly... Basically, a lot more read/write issues on the SB6120. Nothing that causes bricks for me, but sometimes a lot of hassles.

Really have to go
--
electronicsguru.ca

mlord

Nepean, ON

Yeah, even with the DCM475 I noticed flashing became much more stable when switched over to a custom 0.8/1.0 amp 3.3V power supply in the rigs.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to Teddy Boom

SB6120/SB6121 Firmware

SB6121 on the ripping rig
Courtesy of Teddy Boom, I now have a SB6121 modem to experiment on. Here's the logic board hooked up to my flash-ripping rig. With a bit of luck, this will all be ready to use in a day or so, for anyone who needs their SB6120/SB6121 modems updated to the latest firmware for Teksavvy.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

The SPI flash chip
No heat sinks to get in the way of this chip.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

Click for full size
SB6120 having it's flash ripped.
And here's a SB6120 in the same ripping rig.
Both modems use exactly the same firmware images.

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlord

Hey guys, I was kind of curious if there was a difference between
SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH and the newer 1.0.6.1. I've been on this firmware for a while but I've been continuously getting random restarts which last for a couple minutes. Not sure if it's due to firmware or not?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Insilin1i:

SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH and the newer 1.0.6.1. I've been on this firmware for a while but I've been continuously getting random restarts which last for a couple minutes. Not sure if it's due to firmware or not?

The
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
is the stable upgrade to
SB612X-1.0.5.0-SCM03-NOSH
that Rogers pushed before which caused constant reboots.

I'd get in contact with Teddy Boom here in TO, and get your firmware upgraded.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll shoot him a PM

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Insilin1i

said by Insilin1i:

It may or may not be related to firmware. It is important to do basic debugging first. Do you have good signal, being the most important. Also worth taking it to another address just to see what you get there.

The firmware update can't hurt, but it isn't the source of all problems, not a panacea
--
electronicsguru.ca

arthurwinslo

join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

After the ios upgrade on the UBR in May of 2011 all 1.0.5.0's started flapping. You will need at minimum 1.0.6.0 but 1.0.6.1 is what Rogers has pushed out which resolves the channel bonding issue "caused" by the May 2011 ubr update.

Everyone will be pleased to know this same update is what caused your SMC D3GN's and pretty much all puma5 based modems to have disconnects. tada! You all know who to thank for that.

evox_85

join:2013-02-05
reply to Teddy Boom

Hi Teddy Boom could you help me upgrade my firmwire? My Model number is DMC475. I've tried to PM you but it won't let me.