spc
Search similar:

uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Gen4/Changes Coming After Jan 1

I've had at least 6 installer/repair people here in the last 6-7 years. All seem to be knowledgeable & courteous. The idiot that as here last week...not so much! I'll get to the topic momentarily First, I was very busy and didn't have time to call HN to get the number and name of the repairman. When I got home, there was a message from the repair company asking me to call to set up a time to come out. Still busy. Still didn't have time. Later, a UNMARKED truck pulls up in my drive. I'm home alone (with my Ruger Mini 14 ) Guy gets out, knocks on the door. I'm NOT answering it! He starts around to the side of the house where the dish is. Then I glance at the truck and see equipment that suggests, this is the HN repair guy. I open the door. Another guy has now gotten out of the truck and said, "oh, I didn't think you were home. Didn't see a car in the drive". "Did that big garage with the open door and car inside not give you a clue?" Don't know what they were going to do since one of them had to sit at my computer while the other worked outside. HN sent him out here to change the radio. He found nothing wrong with the radio but said he would change it anyway. Not that I put any stock into the HN web response test, but it showed the HIGHEST (not good)numbers since changing to Gen4. Today, browsing seems snappier than it's been in in the last month. Not a lot but noticeable if you're looking for it.
This guy seemed clueless but went to a lot of trouble to make me think he knew it all This is one of the statements he said...
"HughesNet won't tell you, but I will. There are BIG changes coming after Jan 1. You'll be seeing a huge difference in your browsing speeds." Don't know if download speeds were included too as we were concentrating on browsing. Soooo, is there anyone here, in the know, that knows if there are big (positive) changes on the way after the New Year?
Monica
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

If he didn't think you were home with the garage door open and a car inside than I would not listen to Gomer Pyle.
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Not only that, but at the very least, it was RUDE to show up unannounced,in an unmarked truck and walking around my house. Not good business and around here, it could get you shot.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel to monicakm

to monicakm
the guy's name wouldn't of happened to be Corey would it? Drives a White Nissan Titan? If it's that guy, he did my install and is supposed to come out on Thursday to troubleshoot my slowness problems. I'm about to call the guy and say forget it.. Signal is great, it's all the damn uplink and downlink errors, and web acceleration errors, which seem to happen during the prime time hours.
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

I don't recall TexasRebel. But they were in a white midsize truck. Kinda beatup. I've already erased the message. Is he on the short side with blond hair? Can HN tell if he changed the radio? Will some kind of serial number show up on their end? Since he said there was nothing wrong with the radio, I wonder if he left the old one on there and pocketed the new one.

East Texas
@direcway.com

East Texas

Anon

On the System Control Center page there is a system information page on there is the radio number. If you had the old one you could see if it changed. I'm not giving them to the new year. Dec. 28th is it for me. I will get Exede at the sell price on the 29th if mine is not fixed. They changed out my radio too and i know they did cause the number changed, BUT it didn't fix anything. Oh I have had great speeds until today but other kind of errors like Web Acceleration errors. Well today they changed me back to an old software. Big mistake now everything is wrong. poor speeds and still Web Acceleration errors. I'm about to give up on HughesNet.
pvtpilot94
System
Premium Member
join:2001-11-23
Bucyrus, OH

pvtpilot94 to monicakm

Premium Member

to monicakm
Would be nice to get better speeds. Here are mine after Exec support said they
had looking into my slow speeds and they should be better now.
12/11/2012 19:52:42 388 863
12/11/2012 19:49:33 297 851
12/11/2012 19:46:16 197 701
12/11/2012 19:40:04 258 916

Don't think its been fixed
stardust3
join:2012-09-08
united state

stardust3 to monicakm

to monicakm
I have a repair order tomorrow for a customer on power max. According to the case notes the speeds are 5614/78. Notes say to change out radio. After browsing this forum I'd say it will not do much good. Either way I'll do what they ask & make sure signal is good & ovt passes.
There are way too many people complaining about speed issues for it to be premise equipment. I hope they fix it soon before it's too late, even though it already is for some.

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88

Anon

Just gonna say this, the issues aren't radio related at all, for anyone, this is a network issue, software wise most likely that everyone is seeing. Hughesnet is just trying to keep the pants on while consumers rip them to shreds.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

I believe it's the same thing.. software and network misconfiguration. So do you know anything about a January 1st announcement about HNG4??
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

said by TexasRebel:

I believe it's the same thing.. software and network misconfiguration. So do you know anything about a January 1st announcement about HNG4??

Haven't heard anything about Jan 1, the only thing that comes to mind would be other people like myself not able to get Gen4 (Thank god) being able to get improved speeds through SPW3. But on another note Patrick on the Hughes site has said that there is maintenance last night and today for Gen4.
stardust3
join:2012-09-08
united state

stardust3 to monicakm

to monicakm
Just a followup on my previous post. No I do not know anything in regards to gen4 at the 1st of the year.
The repair order I went on this morning that was to replace the radio for slow speeds was interesting. First thing I did before replacing anything was to run some speed tests & check signal. Sqf was 161 on beam 40, bypassed switch & router using laptop with win 7/google chrome straight to modem. 2 speed tests before replacing anything were 15222/860 & 15112/990. I was shocked to say the least, internet was responsive, browsing was quick, & a youtube video played flawless. I went ahead & replaced the radio per work order even though there probably wasn't a thing wrong with it. Repeated the process again, sqf was the same, speed test were a little different this time. 12560/1065 & 12129/794, not a 100% sure the modem was finished updating while running the 2nd test. Either way ovt passed with flying colors & all the #'s looked good. I did not get a chance to run any speed tests through his network, his daughter or daughter in law was there to let me in & spoke with customer on phone to inform him of what I found/didn't find.
Don't know if it was the time of day, something in his network, or what but everything at that point in time seemed to be good.
Had a gen4 upgrade real recently that would not sync to this router no matter what I did. Even though it worked perfectly on the previous 9000 system. Fortunately the lady had a brand new llinksys in the box, hooked it up & it worked flawless.
I'm clueless what is causing these speed issues. I hope it can get resolved. A little more forth coming from hughes would be nice even if they don't know the answer.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

this is why the speeds are crap on HNG4.. Their connection to the internet is crap, meaning they either don't have the bandwidth to handle all the traffic or they have serious flaws in their traffic shaping software or whatever it is.

Everywhere you see timeouts, means it's dropping packets because the bandwidth isn't there or it a software problem..

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.251]
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 100.75.75.25
3 651 ms 639 ms 669 ms dpc6935160130.direcpc.com [69.35.160.130]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 1440 ms 629 ms 664 ms 67.131.14.218
8 1400 ms 659 ms 680 ms 66.249.94.212
9 655 ms 639 ms 611 ms 66.249.94.199
10 723 ms 698 ms 708 ms 216.239.46.208
11 674 ms 1131 ms 697 ms 216.239.48.165
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 748 ms 639 ms 669 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by TexasRebel:

Everywhere you see timeouts, means it's dropping packets because the bandwidth isn't there or it a software problem..

No. It COULD meant that, but rarely does on a ping or tracert.

What it USUALLY means is a router that is setup to not respond to ICMP requests. Not at all uncommon on some networks.

If the final IP in a tracert does not accept ICMP, then the trace never completes. for intermediates, you just get a timeout and it moves on.

An example of a site that won't accept? Try tracing or pinging www.microsoft.com
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

no, it's definitely a bandwidth issue or a software issue on the ground. here's a tracert I did earlier this morning around 6:30am.

I understand about some routers not responding to iCMP pings. But these packet losses are happening during peak times, which it seems for HNG4 it's 9AM-2AM, a 16 hour window.

much different outcome at around 6:30AM.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.251]
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 100.75.0.201
3 650 ms 1539 ms 689 ms dpc6935160130.direcpc.com [69.35.160.130]
4 613 ms 649 ms 618 ms dpc6935164017.direcpc.com [69.35.164.17]
5 661 ms 649 ms 649 ms tuk-edge-11.inet.qwest.net [63.235.80.137]
6 1094 ms 770 ms 748 ms sea-edge-12.inet.qwest.net [67.14.41.62]
7 622 ms 679 ms 649 ms 67.131.14.218
8 701 ms 661 ms 659 ms 66.249.94.214
9 1696 ms 859 ms 639 ms 66.249.94.197
10 1288 ms 629 ms 689 ms 216.239.46.200
11 619 ms 644 ms 654 ms 216.239.48.165
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 655 ms 659 ms 639 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

OK, since the missing hops are mostly outside the Hughes network it probably just is a true timeout. Have your tried opening up the tracert timeout window?
janedeaux
join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS

janedeaux to monicakm

to monicakm
This is my opinion only: Exede got the jump on HN and hughes must have been losing enough customers that they rushed their sales and installations before all the kinks were worked out. However, the negative publicity on this forum and the HN community forum obviously isn't doing them any good. On top of that, they are "blowing smoke" to cover up all the problems.

My biggest complaint however, is Sara calling the HT allowance "generous." With the 9000, I got 525/day, doubled to 1050. With the HT plan I get 15,000/mo. divided by 30 days = 500/day. How is this generous?

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Don't forget that uploads also count against your allowance.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel to janedeaux

to janedeaux
500MB a day or even 20GB a month is a complete joke with a fixed wireless system as satellite.

They deliver highspeed comparable to ADSL2 or Cable and they have data allowances that are comparable to the wireless carriers.

Exede and HN I swear are sister companies following the same damn playbook.

They should boost their data allowances to 100GB per month for everyone. Once you cross that, then they can charge for overages.

You give customers the speed and then expect them not to use it?!? What kind of screwy policy is that?!?
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

These are a mixture of speakeasy and HN speed tests for the 11th and 12 of this month. If you'll remember, download speeds jumped back up to where they should be (9-10MB download) after I'd spoken with upper tech and corporate but browsing was still slow. Now I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel The speeds listed under "Weds afternoon" are all HN test speeds. Wonder if I could pay them 2/10ths of my bill?

Download Speed: 4093 kbps (511.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 32 kbps (4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 2312 kbps (289 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 76 kbps (9.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

2.64Mpbs Upload couldnt register

2013kbps 91kbps
2006 167kbps
1984 820
1Mbps

Download Speed: 4401 kbps (550.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 250 kbps (31.3 KB/sec transfer rate)Download Speed:

Wed afternoon
1985 830
2008 906
2009 671
1998 907
1966 751

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to monicakm

to monicakm
I don't see much improvements after new years except Hughes bringing the bonus bytes online and thats mainly it. The community over there has been pretty busy with all customers complaining about a whole mess of things. My issue with the TCP connections has been going on for nearly since the day we got our Gen4 so this tells me this ain't gonna get fixed, plus sara or snow ain't mentioning anything about it nor are they listening. All they say is "well we're working on it" or "ok, problem solved, but problem still remains" seems to me they just throw a simple band-aid on top of it and tell the customer to get off there case and quit riding them.

If you think there going to make big changes, ok then I'm gonna start biding money on it and someones gonna loose a bunch of money. In the evenings the browsing and quite a ton of speed does drop, the way i'v been seeing it is the more i download then the more our download speed drops.

Theres something very strange with the way you cannot download and upload all at once, I was told by someone on the community last night that i need to ditch the HN7000S (split cable) and get a ISL cable, why?!?! The speed seems to be working right now, I can browse just fine, getting good pings, gaming servers seems fine. This is going the same exact route that i went with our old HN7000S modem, the modem started making electric noises and the speed kept dimming way down each day and only getting worse, so then we got a new one.. New modem arrived and guess what? SAME EXACT PROBLEM... This tells me if we install a ISL cable, it will change NOTHING!!
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to janedeaux

to janedeaux
said by janedeaux:

This is my opinion only: Exede got the jump on HN and hughes must have been losing enough customers that they rushed their sales and installations before all the kinks were worked out.

I doubt that any of us will ever know with certainty what is going on inside the Hughes' operation, but I would guess that you are right.

It has been my theory for a while that Hughes saw that, with Exede up and running for a number of months, Hughes decision makers felt that they had a severe disadvantage with regard to attracting new customers and maintaining existing customers and that they, therefore, decided to start signing up Gen4 customers before they were really ready to do so. Thus, I would guess that those who are now using Gen4, are essentially extended beta testers. I don't doubt that, eventually, Hughes will work out the bugs with Gen4 and that it will work in a more reliable manner, but I would not make a guess as to how long that will take.

I would also think that it is likely that what would appear to be a higher number of complaints from 7000 and 9000 system customers is related. I'm guessing that Hughes has shifted the attention ofof its engineering staff to work on dealing with issues with Gen4 and that, therefore, normal maintenance and dealing with problems affecting 7000 and 9000 systems has become a lower priority.

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88

Anon

Diablo, the connection issue with too many TCP connections being held at one time is being worked on, I reported the issue a long time ago and have been working with them to get it resolved, but it's not very simple to actually fix it...

I also agree that WB got them with their pants down. Hughes rushed it from launch to beta to release I feel. They should have waited till some of the more serious kinks got ironed out prior to selling to customers.

But I am pretty sure most of the speed issues are ground based, as in, they don't have large enough pipes to the gateways, or the servers handling the proxy service are overloaded. Which, after disabling the web acceleration, I still get crappy speeds at times, so that points more towards other equipment, or the pipe.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

Funny... I was saying this weeks ago and you came back telling me I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I speak from experience in being an IT Professional working in Networking and Administration of servers.

We'll see how this pans out in the weeks to come. Personally, I think they should ditch whatever Web Acceleration software they are using and go with Accelenet, which is what Exede uses. Unless they are using Accelenet?!?

As for beam/gateway association. I find it reminiscent that a Texas beam is using a gateway in Montana. Makes me feel like the old days of WildBlue when I had them in 2005. Texas beam was using a gateway in Syracuse, NY. I would think gateways would be closer to their assigned beams. The Exede beam I was on was using a gateway in Hayes, Kansas. It was closer, but still didn't make sense to me, when they supposedly have a gateway in West Texas.

Lastly, I've noticed if I do a continuous ping (Ping -t 8.8.8.8) from a command prompt I am see fairly good pings in the low 600's and even in the upper 500's.

East Texas
@suddenlink.net

East Texas to C0RR0SIVE88

Anon

to C0RR0SIVE88
So should we expect them to be able to fix it. Seriously thinking about leaving this company for another. I've done research and find nothing seriously wrong with the other company except that people are dumb and go over their allowance. IMP that's their own fault not the company's.
East Texas

East Texas to TexasRebel

Anon

to TexasRebel
I live in East Texas and my gateway is in Washington state. Now that makes no sense to me at all.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

If you are on Beam #44, then your gateway is in Montana, unless I was told wrong, which wouldn't surprise me coming from any CSR of Hughesnet.

I feel sorry that the late Howard Hughes has to have his name attached to this company. Seeing it's pretty much a government/military industrial complex spinoff, they should call it TyrannicalGovNet.
janedeaux
join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS

janedeaux to monicakm

to monicakm
At one time I had a map that showed the gateways. I'm thinking mine was 42 (Miss) but really can't remember. Anyone have a link to that web page?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to C0RR0SIVE88

to C0RR0SIVE88
said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

Diablo, the connection issue with too many TCP connections being held at one time is being worked on, I reported the issue a long time ago and have been working with them to get it resolved, but it's not very simple to actually fix it...

I also agree that WB got them with their pants down. Hughes rushed it from launch to beta to release I feel. They should have waited till some of the more serious kinks got ironed out prior to selling to customers.

But I am pretty sure most of the speed issues are ground based, as in, they don't have large enough pipes to the gateways, or the servers handling the proxy service are overloaded. Which, after disabling the web acceleration, I still get crappy speeds at times, so that points more towards other equipment, or the pipe.

What do you gotta do, besides sit on your butt and answer to complaining customers and making a couple adjustments?? To me provider company repairs and such is simple as 1-2-3 and done.. I'v worked with somethings before like mechanical stuff, working with electrical, building houses with my one uncle.. I even work with my one uncle with cars, and if your saying repairs for provider company such as HN, the Gen4 is much bigger problem or just as bad, well imo i see the stuff I do is much bigger and requires more time. Fixing Gen4 problems at the base is just a very VERY simple fix and requires only a day or so, i mean what do you gotta do? where to get supplies from (if needed to replace or repair something if broken)? Is codes and and all that junk needed or what? Can the job be as frustrating as being a mechanic? Do they work nights and through the next day (repeat) throughout the weeks? Do they do repairs 24/7 like a mechanic or do they go home and sleep?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

What do you gotta do, besides sit on your butt and answer to complaining customers and making a couple adjustments?? To me provider company repairs and such is simple as 1-2-3 and done.. I'v worked with somethings before like mechanical stuff, working with electrical, building houses with my one uncle.. I even work with my one uncle with cars, and if your saying repairs for provider company such as HN, the Gen4 is much bigger problem or just as bad, well imo i see the stuff I do is much bigger and requires more time. Fixing Gen4 problems at the base is just a very VERY simple fix and requires only a day or so, i mean what do you gotta do? where to get supplies from (if needed to replace or repair something if broken)? Is codes and and all that junk needed or what? Can the job be as frustrating as being a mechanic? Do they work nights and through the next day (repeat) throughout the weeks? Do they do repairs 24/7 like a mechanic or do they go home and sleep?

Apparently you have never worked as a system administrator or network engineer. Constantly getting crapped on by upper management. Understaffed and underfunded. Penny pinching firms, presumably like HughesNet, don't worry about potential problems until they occur. They don't give their network admins the resources they need to do their work until they have no other choice. Then all the heat goes on the admins and engineers because things are not operating as they should and they don't have the man power to get things done at that instant. There is rarely ever anything simple about problems like this. If there is truly insufficient capacity, sitting on your butt will not resolve the problem.

Often times Network Admins have to be available, whenever. Nights, weekends, holidays. If makes no difference.

I've done all the physical work you mentioned and more. Trust me, just because the work Hughes employees are doing is less physical doesn't make it any easier.