dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
whyamihere
join:2008-10-01
Tyler, TX

whyamihere

Re: TX - AT&T DSL another lying retention agent_Choices?

I'd still like to know if others have come across better options in TX , perhaps S. TX, than ATT DSL (I think some promotions vary by -large- cities, in same state).

I called back to retention dept. today. One tip: ALWAYS get name(s) of persons you speak to & make plenty of notes. Ask them to repeat important facts / figures, when taking notes. IT HELPS when have to call back - to ANY business. If you don't have the facts down or don't sound like you know what you're talking about, often you won't get jack. Remember, they're trained liars.

Yes, they lied (uh, made a mistake). No, they "couldn't honor" the 6 mo promo price the other agent gave me (19.00), but did agree to give half off current "regular" $43 prices of 3.0 DSL (so, 21.50). Another mistake - other agent told me "regular" 3.0 DSL price was $38. I think it changes on a daily basis. I've definitely seen that before w/ ATT.

THIS agent offered, w/o me asking, to issue a one time credit, for difference in price quoted a week ago & what showed up on the mailed Order Confirmation.
PLUS, because I kept my cool, but made it VERY clear I'd spent way too long on the phone, to straighten out THEIR error, she gave a $50 (well, at least promised) credit for my trouble.

But bottom line is, $43 + tax for ANY type 3.0 mbps internet is over the top, especially in south, where most all prices, land, wages are much lower. Hell, you can get unbundled 30 mbps cable here for 1 yr @ 30.00. No, won't get 30 mbps, but definitely > 3 mbps, for less $???

No way I'll ever pay $43+ for 3 mbps service, if have ANY choice. In another yr, someone else will have a promo.

BTW, appears that here, for now, Uverse 6mbps REG $ is same as 3.0 DSL - REG $. They're trying to drive people to Uverse. My guess - soon as they get enough signed up (& can't go back to DSL), they'll JACK UP Uverse $ - Reeeeaall good!
Since here, like Walmart in small towns, ATT has monopoly on internet, they do what they want. Satellite isn't competitive - esp. if don't have their TV.

AFAIK, until recently, cable didn't offer unbundled internet around here. Or if did, wasn't competitive w/ dSL & only cheap during promos, then jacked way up.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by whyamihere:

I'd still like to know if others have come across better options in TX , perhaps S. TX, than ATT DSL (I think some promotions vary by -large- cities, in same state).

You might check out DSL Extreme. They are a reseller of regular AT&T ADSL; and have the same introductory prices. But they can't re-sell "dry loop" service.

WRT lying: A lie is a falsehood presented by a person who knows the truth, and deliberately fabricates the falsehood to obscure, or deny the truth. Having just spent a few moments at the 'att.com' web site, trying to find what service is available at what price, I honestly don't know how a reasonably intelligent person can make sense of the information presented. I would not be surprised if any three people could come up with three different prices; and all three be wrong. Would each of the wrongs be a "lie" if the person citing the data believed it was true, and was not trying to obfuscate, or deny truth?

WRT discounts: All of the $14.95 plans I found carried caveats about bundling, and being one-time introductory prices for new customers only. A friend recently came to the end of her $14.95 promotion, and was unable to get it renewed. When they started raising my price, I was unable to get any discounts. When I finally left for another provider, they suddenly could offer a discount which wasn't available when I was a customer (I turned it down because it was still higher than my new service provider charges). Once you pass your first year, or whatever promotional period ending, whichever comes first, count on them resisting discount requests. My friend just gave up, and pays them the $25 for her plan.

WRT to ADSL availability: The ADSL plans, in the legacy SBC regions, used to be called: "at&t Yahoo! HSI 'x'", where 'x' was one of, "Basic", "Express", "Pro", or "Elite". I see that now they have replaced the "at&t Yahoo! HSI" with "DSL". ADSL is no longer available throughout the AT&T regions; they are replacing it with the newer "IP-DSL" service branded as, "U-verse HSI 'x'". If you want regular ADSL service, you may need to find a CLEC provider, such as, "DSL Extreme".

WRT prices: It appears that the four slower "U-verse HSI" tiers are priced the same, both in promotion, and in regular service, as legacy ADSL. So if you get "U-verse HSI" with a promotional price; yes, your bill will, eventually, go up. I was actually seriously considering dropping down to a slower, cheaper tier when AT&T introduced "cap & overage". At which point I started looking for a provider with no caps. Two in my area: DSL Extreme, and Sonic.net, LLC. I chose, and kicked AT&T to the curb. Alas, my choice, Sonic.net, LLC, is not available outside of California.
whyamihere
join:2008-10-01
Tyler, TX

whyamihere

Thanks Norman. I checked out Sonic.net (from another post) & saw they're only in CA. No, there don't seem to be any DSL resellers here. Unfortunately, I don't need phone bundling (or its cost), nor cable bundled w/ Inet. But, I'll keep looking.

Lies, half truths, mis information, incompetency, corporate "controlled info" they give CSR's. The Corp. may give one CSR different info than another. It all stinks.
Perhaps this time was a mistake, but at least 3 times, I'm positive AT&T reps have lied. Many, many other times they're "made mistakes." Also plenty of incompetency, poor training to go around.

I believe, just as many have complained on many forums, providers like ATT promise one thing over the phone, then when bill comes / or confirmation (like I got), it's another deal. Lots of business people flat out lie - lawyers, doctors, insurance cos., car dealerships - on & on.

They're banking on enough people NOT calling back to make it worthwhile. If you're not used to dealing w/ these marketers (or maybe untrained), they often try to confuse people. If you don't have the patience or "need" to get back to Vampire Diaries, you probably won't call back.

I've gotten my DSL bill reduced, in last 4 - 5 yrs, totaling many hundreds. Once from 35 to 14.95 for same 3.0 speed. And my GOLDEN RULE is, if I have to call back to straighten out THEIR mistake, I'm going to be compensated. That goes for pretty much anywhere.
Once I ordered a custom PC online. They kept screwing up the order. EVERY one of the 4 - 5 times I had to call back, I demanded another $50 off. Once, they only gave me $25.

I'll be reading up on pros / cons of Uverse & perhaps posting over next few mo.
I think they'll phase out DSL, as many have said & I'll be forced to make some decision.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

»www.oplink.net is a local, Houston based reseller - but since you're making a fuss over $15 going to $28, I wouldn't even bother. Their service will be a bit more expensive for the same speeds since you'd need to add at least a basic phone line and the fees/taxes that come with it.
kar98
join:2004-04-29
Longview, TX

kar98 to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS See Profile
You might check out DSL Extreme. They are a reseller of regular AT&T ADSL; and have the same introductory prices. But they can't re-sell "dry loop" service.
[/BQUOTE :

Meh. What other options are there in the DFW area? I'm not planning to get a land line.