how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

[Internet] Netflix November ISP Rankings for the USA

Our 30 million members view over 1 billion hours of Netflix per month, so we have very reliable data for consumers to compare ISPs in terms of real world performance.

Starting today, we’ll publish monthly rankings of major ISPs based upon their actual performance across all Netflix streams.

Google Fiber is now the most consistently fast ISP in America, according to actual user experience on Netflix streams in November.

Broadly, cable shows better than DSL. AT&T U-verse, which is a hybrid fiber-DSL service, shows quite poorly compared to Verizon Fios, which is pure fiber. Charter moved down two positions since October. Verizon mobile has 40% higher performance than AT&T mobile.

The average performance is well below the peak performance due to a variety of factors including home Wi-Fi, a variety of devices, and a variety of encodes. The relative ranking, however, should be an accurate indicator of relative bandwidth typically experienced across all users, homes, and applications.

-Ken

Ken Florance is Vice President of Content Delivery at Netflix

Come on BHN You can Do It !
Just 0.43Mbps to Go LOL

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

Im not fully getting how there ranking this. If I have a 1 gig connection reliably but get 2.55mbps streams, wouldnt that be BAD?

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

No - netflix can only push data so fast. It appears netflix max is 2.55mB/s. which is pretty fast for video streaming. Equals around 20mb/s. FIOS would be higher except i know alot of subscribers are on the lower tier plans, same with brighthouse.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146
reply to bigdaddy

Thing is they made the same common naming mistake that lots make...MBPS is different than mbps or MBps and there are huge differences between them.

Are we talking megabits or bytes...that is the question.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

ok so I have a 40mbps connection, why is it saying Google is faster when in fact, we can receive the stream at the same speed (which is the speed that Netflix can send).

seems like a dumb ranking system if you ask me.

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Yeah and actually after looking at my usage a little further, they should have used mb/s rather than MB/S. Mine streams around 2.5mb/s on my home connection and that's in HD mode. I figured the HD was higher than that but not sure what compression they use.

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
reply to tim tim tim

Their analysis is based on the average for that specific ISP. You may have a higher speed but if the average customer has a lower speed plan, which they usually do, it'll bring down the speeds.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

so what good is the data then? I just dont understand their point in publishing it

DougHo

join:2012-05-21
Orlando, FL

I would guess it is mbps but they should have clarified caveat. Many ISPs offer speed tiers below 6m; subscribers of such "lite" tiers (i.e., 768k and 1.5m) drag down the average. Also I don't know details of Netflix streaming but I would guess that some tier close to borderline (such as 3m) might result in less than HD stream rate. So ISPs with no tiers less than 6m end up high on chart.