spc
uniqs
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to ShadowMeph

to ShadowMeph

Re: [BC] Do I need a digital cable box?

said by ShadowMeph:

I sure wished they just left it all alone as it is the I could and still can see the lines on most channels with my TV ( I couldn't on my old one lol) so why pay for digital when it if I don't want it.

Because an analog channel takes up a lot of frequency space. This frequency space is needed to keep increasing internet bandwidth. Most studies show that internet users use about 50% more bandwidth every year (or more). As digital channels take up less frequency space, the spectrum available can be used more efficiently. It's the same reason that OTA went digital.

It makes sense for Shaw's business, and there are benefits to customers as well (increasing channel space for internet, increasing the number of channels, etc). I think you've already discussed the cons.

Note: I'm not trying to show bias (this is not an argument for anything above, or against) but just an explanation of why.
ShadowMeph
join:2005-10-09
Abbotsford, BC

ShadowMeph

I didn't know that analog channel takes up a lot of frequency space Well that does make sense I just don't like it lol.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

Bonus is you get a program guide I guess?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to ShadowMeph

Premium Member

to ShadowMeph
10 standard definition channels fit in the space of one analog station
or 3 HD stations
or 38 mbps internet