uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

YouTube fullscreen not working right

Click for full size
Fullscreen mode not working right on any viideo
After YouTube once again went under another change fullscreen mode won't work right anymore. This is what happens on any video I try to watch in fullscreen mode. This never happened before on YouTube until YouTube went under a site redesign once again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

That looks like a 4:3 video -- what's the URL?
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· jykRT5rc

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yup, you're viewing a 4:3 video on a 16:9 screen so you will get black bars on the side even in fullscreen mode. This has nothing to do with YouTube's update, it has to do with displaying the video in the aspect ratio it was uploaded.

Looks the same on my 16:9 laptop. It is what it is.
darcilicious

darcilicious to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
This video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7XIs1fBg
will have black bars on the top and bottom in fullscreen mode on your monitor because it was shot and uploaded in aspect ratio greater than 16:9.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Click for full size
You want 16x9 well it doesn't display correctly. This what the 16x9 video in fullscreen modes looks like. Let me tell you something I could display a 4x3 video with correctly before. Now that is what a a 4x3 look like in the picture up above.
floydb1982

to darcilicious
That is what the 4x3 video looked like in the fullscreen mode before Google made all these shitty changes to YouTube.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

You want 16x9 well it doesn't display correctly. This what the 16x9 video in fullscreen modes looks like. Let me tell you something I could display a 4x3 video with correctly before. Now that is what a a 4x3 look like in the picture up above.

Okay, so it seems like you have a 16:10 monitor so you're still going to get bars on the side with 16:9 videos.

On my 16:9 monitor, that videos doesn't have any side-bars.

If YouTube DID change anything, they FIXED it so aspect ratios work CORRECTLY now when using fullscreen. I guess one's man shit is another man's proper viewing.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
Are you sure this is a YouTube problem, and not your use of IE on Win8? Try viewing the same video with Firefox and see how it looks.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to floydb1982

Mod

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

That is what the 4x3 video looked like in the fullscreen mode before Google made all these shitty changes to YouTube.

I don't see any problem. Both videos play correctly on my computer and from what you have posted they are also playing correctly on yours. I watched both in both Explorer and Firefox and the display is correct on both browsers.

teddy
join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON

teddy to floydb1982

to floydb1982
I'm usually just a lurker here, but I need to chip in. It doesn't look like the OP is complaining about the aspect ratio, just that the video appears to be playing as the background of the page rather than filling the screen.

Look at the 2 screenshots posted: there's a task bar, title bar, related video, comments section, etc. This isn't about aspect ratio (which Youtube has never messed with) but full screen not working.

Definitely some weird browser issue. floydb1982, try using Firefox or Chrome and see if you get the issue. Maybe try updating your Flash player.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

to darcilicious
I use the LG Flatron EW224 LED 1920x1080p monitor.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to teddy

Premium Member

to teddy
Click for full size
Could it be that floyd is using the maximize of browser or F11 instead of the YouTube button?