W411
Premium Member
join:2009-10-07
Windsor, ON

1 edit

W411

Premium Member

Can't install Java 7u9 (solved)

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium system that will not go through the installation of 7u9. 6u30 was originally on the system but was not being detected by a software that required Java to be installed in the pre-flight check. I tried running from the usual link at java.com which appeared to start and gets to the point where clicking next means you accept all the terms, but when I click to continue the installer just "disappears".

I have gone through the process 100's of times on systems I work on of removing all previous Java versions and then grab the most recent single version but I am at a loss here:

- MSE is up to date, ran a full scan with no suspects

- Malwarebytes is up to date, ran a full scan with no suspects

- downloaded the full install 32 bit jre-7u9-windows-i586.exe file and ran it normally, the usual security warning with run/cancel, click on "run" and get the "welcome to java" dialog box with the install button. Click install and get about 2 seconds of preparing to install and then it closes the process is still running but just sits there

- rebooted and tried again running the exe as administrator, same result

Anyone have any suggestions?

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

Re: Can't install Java 7u9

JavaRa to clean out old installations and leftovers and try again, might help.
»singularlabs.com/softwar ··· /javara/
W411
Premium Member
join:2009-10-07
Windsor, ON

W411

Premium Member

JavaRa removed 3 items, rebooted ran the Java exe again, still just stops in mid install. I just noticed it seems to be causing some kind of Windows Explorer issue after I start the Java installation process i can single click on icons to highlight them, and navigate the start menu no problems so I didn't notice originally but its like the function of opening any program has been disabled and can't bring up task manager.
W411

W411

Premium Member

Update, after a few minutes all of the programs I had tried clicking just opened all at once. Explorer seems to be working fine again, and the Java process still remains in the processes list in the task manager.
W411

W411

Premium Member

Found a solution, no errors were being logged almost like the installation wasn't even starting.

In the current user, changed the environment variables TEMP & TMP location from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp to c:\temp.

Installation worked right through, although now I have to try to figure out why there is over 100,000 files in the original temp location.

Original problem solved for the night though.