claibourne
join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX

claibourne to RolteC

to RolteC

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

Click for full size
said by RolteC:

Thanks rtcy, I actually already use OpenDNS. Unfortunately, people are setting their own DNS servers.

There's a quick and spiffy way to prevent them from doing exactly that. Just set up a couple rules in the "Advanced Filtering" section of the Firewall setup. First rule allows all traffic to the OpenDNS servers; the second rule blocks all DNS requests from any internal source IP, to any external destination IP. I've been doing this for two years on F, G, and I Actiontecs and haven't seen any pitfalls, performance or otherwise.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

Hi all,
I'm on RevI as well but for some reason, I can't find UPnP, multicast, or IGMP options. My HDHomeRun Prime is connected to an ethernet port but none of my wireless devices can use WMC for it. It worked with the previous router but not this new RevI.

I heard people are also having this problem with xbox, tivo, and other devices as well.
claibourne
join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX

claibourne

In the newest Rev I firmware, options to control UPnP and IGMP Proxy have been removed from the "Advanced Settings" page.

I've also noticed that firewall logging no longer works as before. Even with logging enabled for "Remote Administration" attempts, nothing shows up in the logs. You can verify this by going to good old grc.com and running their port scanner to check your router security. Even when running that tool, nothing shows up in the Actiontec's firewall log.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

said by claibourne:

In the newest Rev I firmware, options to control UPnP and IGMP Proxy have been removed from the "Advanced Settings" page.

Those settings don't exist in Rev. I. They took out both the UPnP and IGMP settings in firmware 40.19.36.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

Those settings don't exist in Rev. I. They took out both the UPnP and IGMP settings in firmware 40.19.36.

Then on the Rev I is there no way to disable IGMP proxy? Just wondering because when it is enabled it makes my Airport Express speakers useless.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

said by kes601:

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

Then on the Rev I is there no way to disable IGMP proxy? Just wondering because when it is enabled it makes my Airport Express speakers useless.

go to Advanced->Routing and uncheck the IGMP. that just disable the IGMP.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Now I'm confused, you just said they removed the settings from Rev I......

I don't have a Rev I right now, but if the settings are gone then I wouldn't want to upgrade.
FlareDust
join:2000-09-09
New York, NY

FlareDust to lordphong

to lordphong
That is not going to work for his purposes of getting the Airport Express speakers to work. IGMP is needed for multicast as I understand, but the IGMP Proxy is blocks multicast from the Airport Express and the HDHomeRun prime (this is the problem I'm experiencing with my router at the moment).

In the latest firmware, 40.19.36, IGMP proxy settings are removed and you can no longer disable IGMP proxy. There are several people who have tried to downgrade the firmware with limited success.

Once a downgrade is completed, Fios will push the new firmware back onto the router. Blocking the port for which the firmware is pushed into the router is not allowed on the actiontec router. The only way to overcome this problem is to disable the internet/remove coax from the router.

If anyone knows of a workaround this would be great, otherwise I'm stuck with a HDHomeRun Prime that can only work over a wired network.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

You are correct. I did not say you can disable IGMP proxy. I said you can disable IGMP, which is not the same thing. It worked for some people and not all. Most people need the multicast as you have said but it's still worth a try.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to claibourne

Premium Member

to claibourne
said by claibourne:

said by RolteC:

Thanks rtcy, I actually already use OpenDNS. Unfortunately, people are setting their own DNS servers.

There's a quick and spiffy way to prevent them from doing exactly that. Just set up a couple rules in the "Advanced Filtering" section of the Firewall setup. First rule allows all traffic to the OpenDNS servers; the second rule blocks all DNS requests from any internal source IP, to any external destination IP. I've been doing this for two years on F, G, and I Actiontecs and haven't seen any pitfalls, performance or otherwise.

Very clean, merry Christmas and I'm defenetly showing my age and mind I think I tried something like this and failed. I miss my gnatbox firewall that thing let you made rules that always worked without fail. but I have 4 kids 3 of them computer savvy and then some and find a way around the old man.
rtcy

rtcy to lordphong

Premium Member

to lordphong
said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

as I have the silicondust units too, this makes the I useless for me, and I was thinking of getting a couple and sending them to Brainslayer again. oh well

Can someone confirm if the uPNP is disabled? is this verizon's way to kill devices like the Silicon dust boxes? I'm sure we can still do them manually if so

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

said by rtcy:

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

as I have the silicondust units too, this makes the I useless for me, and I was thinking of getting a couple and sending them to Brainslayer again. oh well

Can someone confirm if the uPNP is disabled? is this verizon's way to kill devices like the Silicon dust boxes? I'm sure we can still do them manually if so

Verizon is going to be releasing another new firmware update to replace this one. I have no ETA but I was told that UPnP menu and IGMP Proxy menu will be restored and Wi-Fi will be upgraded from 130Mbps to 300Mbps at 40Mhz channel space.

So Hold on Help is on the way.
bigdaddy

bigdaddy to rtcy

to rtcy
said by rtcy:

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

I can Confirm that UPnP is Enabled by Default. Sorry there is no hidden menu I could find to enable or disable UPnP we will just have to wait for the new firmware to be released.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

I can Confirm that UPnP is Enabled by Default. Sorry there is no hidden menu I could find to enable or disable UPnP we will just have to wait for the new firmware to be released.

good cause eventhough it's said tobebad, UPNP can make life easy when you have grandkids coming over and wanting to use their devices, I just hand them the wpa password and let those little fingers do the work. sure love that 6 tuner silicon box. going to get a couple of the new Ceton extenders and send back 2 hd boxes and turn off the home thingi on the DVR , still bothered by what I was told by their phone rep that I would have to return the DVR and get another to turn off the homedvr feature, something they turned on remotely. oh well that's OT
JohnJohnD
join:2008-12-22
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

JohnJohnD

Confirming that the deep link ("jump") works! Just in case that Verizon thread disappears, here's the deep link to the now-hidden IGMP Proxy page on the Rev I router:

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· age=6059
Acejam2k
join:2008-11-05

Acejam2k to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

Verizon is going to be releasing another new firmware update to replace this one. I have no ETA but I was told that UPnP menu and IGMP Proxy menu will be restored and Wi-Fi will be upgraded from 130Mbps to 300Mbps at 40Mhz channel space.

Do you have anymore details on the 300Mbps/40Mhz upgrade? This would be very helpful for me since my Rev I unit is the only router I have in my home. I do a lot of local LAN file transfers over Wi-Fi, and being limited to 130Mbps really hurts sometimes.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by Acejam2k:

said by bigdaddy:

Do you have anymore details on the 300Mbps/40Mhz upgrade? This would be very helpful for me since my Rev I unit is the only router I have in my home. I do a lot of local LAN file transfers over Wi-Fi, and being limited to 130Mbps really hurts sometimes.

Since I do not have access to a rev.i , I can not tell you what radio chipset and model it is or whether it will support the full range, so a firmware may not be all that is needed. I have swapped it on the rev A and the C models to accomodate third party firmware like Open WRT and DD-WRT.

I don't know if you have the cash to pick up this router and set it up as the second router to provide wireless in your place

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

but this Asus is the fastest in many tests done so far not only wireless but for the gigabit lan too
Expand your moderator at work
Klownicle
join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL

Klownicle to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

Thanks for the info, both UPnP and the IGMP Proxy are features I want to disable on my network.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to JohnJohnD

Premium Member

to JohnJohnD
said by JohnJohnD:

Confirming that the deep link ("jump") works! Just in case that Verizon thread disappears, here's the deep link to the now-hidden IGMP Proxy page on the Rev I router:

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· age=6059

you would'nt know if there's a hidden page for UPNP in the REV I ? I thought it was on or so I assumed() but can't find it anywhere.

I did "something" to my MJ+ and now it no longer works in stand alone mode cursed. I get what I pay for. Wonder if that is a new Verizon weapon LOL.

I know I can bypass by setting a UDP rule for VOIP, guess I will call them and see if they release specs. no one seems to know what they are for the MJ+ model
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

you would'nt know if there's a hidden page for UPNP in the REV I ? I thought it was on or so I assumed() but can't find it anywhere.

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· page=900

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by kes601:

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· page=900

thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! now to reboot it and see if I can get the Magic Jack Plus working in stand alone mode again
rtcy

rtcy

Premium Member

Looks like it was my resseting the router to factory default somehow?? turned off the UPNP cause it had been working anyways thanks to you KES601 and showing us that hidden page I turned it back on as it was indeed off, and that little rascal MagicJack PLUS is back working.

it grabbed a DHCP address and I looked up the MAC address at the FCC and sure enough it was issued to Magickjack.

now for the serious security part******************

yesterday as I reset the router back to factory settings, I entered everything EXCEPT the static WPA key, so it defaulted to that new standard ??? used by the rev I router where it has a key built in for WPA.

anyways I noticed under my network someone with a

BLACKBERRY-7144:
Connection Type:
Ethernet

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
IP Address Allocation: DHCP
MAC Address: 3c:74:37:47:a9:cc

connected to my wireless router I bet this is that new feature I read about where it auto negotiates?? and was already hacked ??

anyways I reset the router to WPA2 and put in my 33 long phrase with added numbers

just to sure I update my youngest son's DIR-655 to 1.35na firmware to disable the securespot and set it to WPA2 with new password

sure hope they only used my IP for a good use!!!!!
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Since it says it was connected via Ethernet, I'm going to have to guess it was the DIR-655 that was the weak link. Shouldn't show up as an ethernet connection if it was connecting via the Actiontec's wireless.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy

Premium Member

said by kes601:

Since it says it was connected via Ethernet, I'm going to have to guess it was the DIR-655 that was the weak link. Shouldn't show up as an ethernet connection if it was connecting via the Actiontec's wireless.

I think so too, just wish I was 100%. eitherway I set them all up as wpa2 AES and changed the key to one of GRC's random key and saved that on my keychain usb stick

will keep monitoring.

the thing that confused me a bit was my older son was here visiting in early jan, but the new router was just replaced after he left. he uses a Blackberry. but I'm sure he had departed 1 week earlier.
CooloutAC
join:2013-02-12

CooloutAC to kes601

to kes601
U da man tks
xgman
join:2012-05-29

xgman to Acejam2k

to Acejam2k
When is this update supposed to happen?
ChrisUK
join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA

1 edit

ChrisUK

I called Fios Technical Support at about 1:00pm to ask for a Rev I to replace my Rev C. He initially wanted me to go to my nearest Fios store, but eventually agreed to ship a new router via UPS on the understanding that there was no guarantee it would be a Rev I.

I was therefore somewhat surprised when a Verizon van pulled into my driveway at 6:00pm and a technician bought a new router to my door. It was a Rev I. He had installed it and left 10 minutes later. Woo hoo!

Update: I just received an automated phone message saying that my new router has been shipped by UPS, so I'll probably end up with 2!

Chris
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

said by ChrisUK:

I was therefore somewhat surprised when a Verizon van pulled into my driveway at 6:00pm and a technician bought a new router to my door. It was a Rev I. He had installed it and left 10 minutes later. Woo hoo!

Update: I just received an automated phone message saying that my new router has been shipped by UPS, so I'll probably end up with 2!

Did the Verizon guy take the old one back with him? The one you receive via UPS will have a return label for you to send the old router back.

I guess this happened a month ago, so what did happen?
ChrisUK
join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA

ChrisUK

The Verizon guy took the Rev C away. The one I received via UPS included a note saying it was not necessary to return the old router.

Chris