Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

hydronic heat issue

This morning around 12:30 am I happen to be up and I heard a rash of water moving in the heater... Long story short I have heat in the other rooms but the heat from the heater is cold in my room.

I assume the lines have air or an air bubble finally broke free? The last person said it was dust which I knew that could have not been the total cause.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

I would definitely suspect an air lock condition.

You will need to bleed the radiators to get the air out.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
In addition to purging the air, you might want to confirm there is adequate system pressure.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well I just bled the system it's a apartment so I have no clue how long the system loop is, last time I heard the water in the system was before the hurricane. In my room it took at least 10 seconds for the air to be expelled.

if it comes up again I will address the issue and hopefully they will listen..

Speaking of bleeding, If my heater was cold then that means the rest downstream from my radiator would be cold too as well right?

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing

Premium Member

Yes.
36165318 (banned)
join:2012-12-12

36165318 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
I think you checkout and confirm there is adequate system pressure.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

All rads should be bled at the start of the heating season..

if this is a rental, do you know if the landlord had the boiler serviced this year? If not, better do it before it gets cold.

-j

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Speaking of bleeding, If my heater was cold then that means the rest downstream from my radiator would be cold too as well right?

I am assuming hydronic heat = circulating forced hot water heat. In this case there are TWO ways this type is / was done. One used older cast iron rads. This kind of system had a valve at each rad. In this case one rad could be airbound but the loop can bypass that air bound rad and the next will get heat fine. Again this type of system has a valve at each rad. Modern upgrades may even include an electronic valve at each rad . That said there is type 2 . These are the more modern base board type rads. These run along the floor on the baseboards and do not normally have a valve present in each room. In this case if one room is airbound then anything downstream will not get heat. This type of system may also have zone valves in splits on the loop. For example a ranch house may be split into two zones where one zone serves the front and one serves the rear or a two story house each on its own zone. In this case if one zone becomes airbound all downstream on that zone will not get heat.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Baseboard hot water heating radiators do not get air bound as the circulating pump forces hot water through each one in the loop and then back to the boiler to be reheated. They are a series loop and what goes into the first one has to come out the last one.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Baseboard hot water heating radiators do not get air bound as the circulating pump forces hot water through each one in the loop and then back to the boiler to be reheated. They are a series loop and what goes into the first one has to come out the last one.

if its just one big loop yes. However usually there is a split in the loop or zones for example after leaving the boiler there is a tee where one side will go to the back of the house the other will serve the front. In rare cases one side could become airbound or worse a pipe could freeze. However in most cases one side of the house would simply get more heat then the other. One side rarely becomes completely airbound but not 100% impossible as i have seen many different installations. This is why there are air bleed valves on both sides of a loop some installations even had an airbleed in every room. Again i can not stress enough each install is different and i don't know how the OPs rental is plumbed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

If the system is zoned the zone control valves usually are located right at the boiler on a header on the hot water outlet of the boiler.

When a zone thermostat calls for heat the corresponding zone valve opens, the circulating pump starts and supplies hot water to that zone.