how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HooK

@rr.com

[TWC] SB6141 - Max limit of 1 Host (CPE MAC Address) 1 Public IP

Greetings all,

I'm keeping this simple for the sake of getting a confirmation from others who have seen this happen on this modem or a similar SBXXXX Motorola Modems:

I purchased the Motorola SB6141 modem and hooked it up to an unmanaged switch (not a router - I don't care for wireless!)

Plugged in the first computer, machine gets a public IP, all is good!
Plugged in the second computer, it doesn't get an IP. Tried restarting the modem, 2nd machine still is not able to get a public IP. 1st machine is still good.

Logged into the modem, under Addresses, it states: "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 1)" and the MAC address listed belongs to the 1st machine plugged into the switch. If I unplug the first machine and leave the 2nd machine plugged (power cycle the modem), then it gets an IP! But now, my first machine is not getting one. urghhhh

Anyways, it seems like the maximum allowed clients on this modem is limited to ONE! And it's usually the first one that "talks" to the modem.

I understand that I can get a wireless router and hook that up directly to the modem and get internal IP's for all my machines. That's NOT what I am looking for and is not what I need. My Internet Package allows me to get 10 public IP's (I have the Ultimate package).
I need to be able to connect 2+ machines to this modem (via a switch) and get 2+ Public IP's from RR! This used to work fine with the old leased modem (Toshiba) before I switched to the Motorola SB6141.

After researching and spending countless hours on the web (with no luck), my question is: Is there ANY way to allow this modem to accept more than 1 CPE MAC Address (more than 1 client)?

I would like to hear from those who own this modem and could confirm the same behavior I am experiencing.

The firmware on my SB6141 is as follows:

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53

I did find a much newer open source code release packages (firmware) on SourceForge version 1.0.12.18. But that requires compiling, testing, etc...; and I don't feel like bricking my new Modem...and not sure if the limit has changed as well...
»sourceforge.net/projects/sb6120.···ola-home

Thanks!

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Re: [TWC] SB6141 - Max limit of 1 Host (CPE MAC Address) 1 Publi

This is intentional. TWC only allows residential customers to have one public IP address. This is one of several things in the configuration file that the modem downloads when it starts up.

You could always use a wired router (or wireless router with the wireless turned off) to share one IP address with multiple PCs using NAT/PAT, or upgrade to business class and get multiple static IP addresses.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to HooK
This may really depend on what time warner division you are in. I am on the Extreme tier with a 6141 and I have "Known CPE MAC Address (Max 2)"..so it appears I could get two public IPs but I have never tried. I know my division used to give 5 only a few years ago and it was advertised on the website but I can only assume this is not the case anymore.

EDIT-- In your case though, I think you are out of luck. Your modem is configured for only giving 1 public IP address out. What speed tier are you on?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to HooK

Most cable providers typically give one public address out.. so you would need a router if you wish to share your connection with multiple computers.. or contact Time Warner in your area and see if they will sale you additional IPs... I know years ago when I had Time Warner for additional $$$ a month you could purchase additional public IP leases. [but that varies by division etc.]

HooK

@rr.com
reply to HooK
I am currently on the Ultimate tier which grants me 50/5 download/upload and 10 public IP addresses.
Upgrading to business class will not solve this issue as the barrier is with the modem's limit. I am currently paying for 10 IP's as part of the Ultimate package (I have confirmed this with them on the phone).

Can you please tell me which firmware version you have on your SB6141 that allows you a maximum of 2 CPE MAC Addresses?

I am wondering if they upgraded my tier lever but my modem is for some odd reason receiving a configuration file that only allows 1 client (i.e. MAC Address).

As for using a router - as I said, I am aware that I can use NAT/PAT, etc to assign internal IP's for all my machines but this is not what I need or want. I would like to have 2+ Public (external IP's) from RR as my limit (as far as with my RR tier) is a maximum of 10 IP's! However, my silly modem is only accepting 1 client! So frustrating...

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
I have Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH I think this is the only firmware TW has for this modem currently.

I would be very surprised if the TW phone agents knew what you were talking about in regards to this. Possibly they were referring to number of email accounts? Wouldnt surprise me. 10 seems like an awful lot.

What division are you in?
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to HooK
This is NOT a firmware issue. This is a configuration file issue and the confit file comes from TWC during modem boot up.

Talk to tier 3 at TWC.

I think to 10 limit you are referring to is actually the number of email addresses. Usually TWC charges for each additional IP lease customers want.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to HooK
said by HooK :

I am currently on the Ultimate tier which grants me 50/5 download/upload and 10 public IP addresses.

I believe any number of IP addresses over two, or three would be a routed subnet. Ten IP addresses is an odd IP quantity. My ISP will sell me either a /30 (four IP addresses), or a /29 (eight IP addresses). Given the crunch on available IPv4 IP addresses, I find it strange that an ISP would just give ten to a customer.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

This is NOT a firmware issue. This is a configuration file issue and the confit file comes from TWC during modem boot up.

Talk to tier 3 at TWC.

I think to 10 limit you are referring to is actually the number of email addresses. Usually TWC charges for each additional IP lease customers want.

Agreed - TWC charges $29.95 per month here for a /29 block of IP addresses for a business class connection. There's no way that they are intentionally giving 10 addresses out on any residential tier.

If 10 were available before, it was most likely by mistake. Unless 10 IP addresses are being paid for, in which case it would be necessary to contact Tier 3 support to get the proper config sent to the modem. As stated in other posts, 10 IP addresses doesn't even make any real sense.

HooK

@albany.edu
reply to HooK
I will contact Tier 3 Support today and verify this information again. As some of you said, I also believe the guy on the phone had no clue/idea what he was talking about - I was specifically asking how many public (external IP's) I am getting with the Ultimate package. He put me on hold for like 2 minutes and then said 10. I highly doubt it though!
I also suspect he was talking about email addresses which are useless to me.

Does anybody have the phone number to Tier 3 Support? Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it!

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:2
The package which you purchased includes ten email addresses and one IP. which is dynamic.

It is unlikely that you will be able to get more than one IP address on a residential account from TWC. Moreover, any residential IP will be dynamic. If you are planning on running a outbound mail server, your mail from a dynamic address will not be accepted by many ISP's.

The only alternative with TWC is to purchase business class service and make sure that the contract spells out the number of addresses to be provided.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by harald:

It is unlikely that you will be able to get more than one IP address on a residential account from TWC.

Some divisions do allow it (i can get 2 according to modem config). Used to be up to 5 years ago on standard tiers, at least up here.
--

harald

Columbus, OH
Which is why I said "It is unlikely . . ." as opposed to "There is no way in hell . . ."

He's young, probably still believes in Santa Claus. He will soon learn that relying on TWC customer service agents is like expecting that you will get the gifts that you asked a mall Santa Claus for.

Incompetent customer service extends far beyond TWC, regrettably.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
reply to HooK
Carolinas only allow one IP normally, you can pay $10 a month for an additional IP up to 5 or 6 or something like that. Other divisions may offer additional IPs, but that will probably be changing over time as TWC becomes more nationalized in policy.

Edit: Call in and get a hold of Tier 3 and make sure. They will be the ones who will know the best if you can get additional IPs or not.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to harald
"He's young, probably still believes in Santa Claus. He will soon learn that relying on TWC customer service agents is like expecting that you will get the gifts that you asked a mall Santa Claus for"

The best advice I have seen in this thread is to ask for Tier 3 to confirm. As stated areas differ.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

HooK

@rr.com
reply to HooK
"He's young, probably still believes in Santa Claus" Not sure what this non-sense is all about or what you were trying to imply here herald...

Customer service was actually competent enough to understand & help my issue (it's not that complicated). And yes, there are situations where you DO have to somewhat rely on TWC to fix the issue especially if it's not on your end. You have no choice there, unless you want to go with another ISP, feel free.

Confirmed with Tier 3 agent and my package (Ultimate) does grant me 5 public IP addresses! It has been checked, rechecked and confirmed. It is 5 public IP's (not emails).

Residential tier could get more than 1 IP address depending on your area! Some areas allow only 1 IP and some allow more! The Standard Internet package at my area allows 3 IP's for example! Yes, 3 under the standard package!
This is how it is and it does correlate and explains what some people here have written about their limits. It varies from location to location!

2 weeks ago when I had the old "leased" modem (Toshiba) with the standard package, I was using an unmanaged switch with 3 computers plugged to it (having 3 public IP's from RR, 1 for each PC).

So after upgrading my package, my Public IP limit was set to 5. It can't be that by upgrading my package my limit has dropped to 1! Doesn't make sense and is not likely to occur.

Anyways, I have resolved the issue now with RR. Thanks to all of those who have provided useful responses. I appreciate it.

Those who had nothing useful to say, stop being useless! lol

harald

Columbus, OH
I certainly intended no offense to you.

Just an oblique way of commenting on some of the TWC agents that provide a disservice to customers and to the company as well. There are others that are good, especially the techs that support the TWC direct forum here.

Glad to hear that you were able to get 5 IP's.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
reply to HooK
What did they do to fix it? Send you a new config? Does your modem now show a max of 5?
--

bradenmcg

join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH
Presumably, yes.

In my area, "Extreme" (30/5) apparently has a default setup of 3 CPE addresses, which means 3 IPs will be issued.

I use a pfSense router so I haven't bothered to play with this (mostly because I only want to play with it if I can get my router to 1:1 NAT the addresses, which requires me to have virtual MACs on one NIC, or put in an additional switch, and I don't feel like messing with any of it right now for zero real gain).

I'm honestly not sure why anyone in a home setting would want each machine to have a public IP, unless the OP is doing something with game consoles or whatnot (which generally work better when they aren't stuck behind a NAT device).