Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

Laptop overheating solutions

This is kind of a general question. I am trying to get peoples opinions or suggestions. In my work I sometimes see laptops that run a bit too hot (160-200F). In my limited experience I have found it can be caused by vents blocked by dust, slow fan, dead fan, or poor unit design. And the majority of "heaters" have a nVida gpu. Other than removing the dust there is really not much I can do. Why? Solving this problem can sometimes take hours and the value of that time often exceeds the value of the laptop. I was wondering if other techs encounter this issue and how you handle it.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

If the problem is bad enough, I usually give CPU undervolting a try. There's a few Windows-based programs for doing so, depending on the chipset/CPU being used. I've had very good results on older AMD and Core 2 laptops (drop of about 25 C and elimination of throttling on an old single-core Turion).
--
KI6RIT

seaman
Premium
Seattle, WA

This sounds like a pretty innovative idea. A good example of working smarter and not harder. Thanks for sharing it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to seaman

Throw a cheap laptop cooler under it, if you can spare a USB port hookup.

huntermcdole
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk

said by Krisnatharok:

Throw a cheap laptop cooler under it, if you can spare a USB port hookup.

Careful with doing that, I have had a cheap cooler kill my usb port on my laptop and it was the only one that it had so I was SOL. I was told once it was better to get a powered usb hub and plug the cooler in to that, that way it won't screw with your mb if it's not a proper usb connection.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to seaman

Yep I see it all the time. Best thing to help is Artic Ceramiq (The white Thermal paste)

Laptop Manufactures tend to use the grey paste. It dries out and hardens over time (Even within a years time)

Replace it if you have a Laptop apart to where you can get at it. One tube is like $6 and can do like 20 machines.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

I currently use and swear by Artic Silver Ceramique 2. It is the bees knees.

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
reply to seaman

»www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

D/L and install this. The cool thing is it has the capability to customize your own fan speeds according to the heat the processor is putting out. I would be willing to bet if you set the cooling curve to start ramping at around 60c @ 60-70% fan speed, then ramp it to 100% at 90c, you might see the temps you are wanting. Worth a try I spose!

Good Luck!

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to seaman

I grab a 1" square dowel and put it under the back side of the laptop. It gives you a nice comfortable tilted keyboard and more space for the fans to pull air etc. if the "feet" are really short a fat pencil or pen will work just s well.

Yes making sure the fan and the heat sink are dust free is a huge help to keep the machine cool.

Also if you are running Vista or win7 you can limit the max processor usage or make sure the processor can cool down when it needs to by using balanced or power save modes in the power settings. This will also help keep the processor from running so hot all the time.

MnR
Premium
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI
kudos:3
reply to seaman

Hi ,

The best and cheapest route is the first thing Aranarth said! raising the laptop off of the desk is the best Thing for any laptop.Only difference is I use two 1/2" square blocks of wood under my laptops. Just make sure they do not block the intake of the fans as most are on the bottom of the laptops.

Mine all have Nvidia chips in them.

MnR
--
No one is listening until you make a mistake!

seaman
Premium
Seattle, WA

I would like to thank everyone who posted an answer. I am kind of blown away by the number of creative (both technical and non-technical) solutions to this problem. I recorded all the ideas for future reference. A great bunch of smart people here. Many thanks to all!

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to seaman

Add me to the pile of removing gray goop and adding Artic Silver. I done this on my Inspiron 5100 in 2002 and the thing still runs cool, well cooler than stock.
I run SpeedFan along with it to help.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to seaman

My wife's old Toshiba Satelite ran super hot at times. I took the whole thing apart and found where the little fan intake and exhaust all clogged with dirt and dust.

I started blowing it out regularly after that and it was fine ever since.

I think laptops get clogged with dirt a lot quicker then regular desktops because of placing them on different surfaces like clothing, furniture, etc. So they pick up a lot more soot.

I'd recommend blowing them out with compressed air a lot more often then you would a desktop.