spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gary W

join:2003-12-31

Internet went down; they told me I can't have a router conne

So my Rogers Internet service went down, so I called Rogers. I told them my setup; I have the Rogers SMC router, where I plug in all my Ethernet cables, then I have my Linksys router connected to the SMC, which I use for wireless connections. They told me I can't have it both ways, so I had to either unplug the Linksys or plug the Ethernet cables into the Linksys.

So, I plugged everything into the Linksys, which itself connects to the SMC. The Internet then worked fine again. I don't know if this was coincidence or not. Was my previous setup really a problem? Did anyone else's Internet go down on December 11, 2012 at 11 pm?

As a side note, when my Internet was down, Google Search worked fine, but no other website worked. I found this odd. I assumed that the Rogers network was having problems, but according to Rogers support, they said on the phone that the problem was my setup.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

When calling Rogers Technical Support for your Internet service Rogers will not help you if you are using another Router connected to the SMC. So if you call for help you must disconnect your Linksys Router and only use the SMC in its original configuration as the Gateway device then Rogers will help you to troubleshoot the SMC and their network connectivity.

To use the SMC and your Linksys Router the SMC must be in BRIDGE mode [not the original configuration] --- once in bridge mode You can then connect your Linksys Router to the SMC at which point your Linksys Router does what you may intend it to do. If You do not know how to put the SMC into BRIDGE mode you can ask Rogers Technical Support to put the SMC into BRIDGE mode and they will be happy to do that for you but once in BRIDGE mode they will no longer troubleshoot the SMC for you as stated in my 1st paragraph.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by mozerd:

To use the SMC and your Linksys Router the SMC must be in BRIDGE mode [not the original configuration] --- once in bridge mode You can then connect your Linksys Router to the SMC at which point your Linksys Router does what you may intend it to do. If You do not know how to put the SMC into BRIDGE mode you can ask Rogers Technical Support to put the SMC into BRIDGE mode and they will be happy to do that for you but once in BRIDGE mode they will no longer troubleshoot the SMC for you as stated in my 1st paragraph.

I am not sure this is entirely true. I had another router plugged into the SMC and had two different wireless networks in my house.

Never really had an issue until the SMC failed. Now I do the exact same thing with my Cisco. In fact I now have 3 wifi networks in the house because I added another router.

canehdian

join:2009-10-05
reply to Gary W

Sounds like you have your modem in bridge mode and all those wired connections you plugged in are requesting Rogers IPs.....

Why not just use the Linksys for everything?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to RLBL

said by RLBL:

I am not sure this is entirely true. I had another router plugged into the SMC and had two different wireless networks in my house.

Never really had an issue until the SMC failed. Now I do the exact same thing with my Cisco. In fact I now have 3 wifi networks in the house because I added another router.

You can have as many other routers connected as you wish BUT Rogers will not help you to troubleshoot the SMC with the other router(s) connected.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

@shawcable.net

Make sure that DHCP is disabled in your own router. and plug the cable from the port on the rogers router into 1,2,3,4 on your own router, rather than the WAN/Internet port.

Ped_Man

join:2004-03-27
Markham, ON

You only have to do that if the SMC router is not in bridge mode. If the SMC router is in bridge mode you can connect your Linksys router directly to the WAN port of the router.