PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

BlueRay and "digital copies"

So I am looking at some Blue Ray / DVD / "Digital Copy" combo packs and I'm a bit lost....

The "digital copy" includes Ultraviolet (a late attempt in the digital market) but some videos can be redeemed through itunes, others can't, and others still may be able to be played on your Apple portable device??

Basically, I'd buy the Blue Ray's if I knew for certain it included a code I could use to download the itunes copy but it seems to ambiguous. Is there a decoder ring to all this?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: BlueRay and "digital copies"

No decoder ring I am aware of. The industry seems to be going out of its way to frustrate those willing to purchase content.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

said by Camelot One:

The industry seems to be going out of its way to frustrate those willing to purchase content.

Also known as punishing those people who are willing to pay for their product. The entertainment industry always amazes me by pushing their users toward a crippled product and expecting them to be happy.

I haven't bought many disks lately and plan on buying next to none going forward. Digital download is how I want my media. I don't have the room for more disks.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

I'm leaning towards buying off itunes directly myself / my only concern is getting the content off that platform should I decide to use a different media device in the future.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
As you have noticed, there are different versions of "digital copy". Any title with the coupon, should allow you to add it to iTunes. Many copies have, and are now shipping with Ultraviolet. Which you have to create an account and login to utilize. I don't believe those titles can be imported into iTunes.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
Another option though its a bit more complicated is the Rip and encode route if your PC has a BDrom drive you can get software now that can break the DRM and let you rip the movie file to local media and then deal with it as a media file.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

H.264@36mbps is the best you can get for you big screen. But, for smaller devices or lowband networks you could sacrifice some quality for convenience.

What I am trying to say is it does not matter which streaming version you get. Stick to the full 36mbps bluray disk when watching at home. Or as Kearnstd said, rip your disk to the HDD. Once you rip it, you can stream it to any computer in the house as long as the network can handle 36mbps.

For wifi/4G use the digital copy or make you own. Even with Handbrake x64, the fastest trans-coder I've used it takes about 4hr to compress bluray H.264@36mbps to H.264@2mbps using a hex core cpu.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
UltraViolet?
Wasn't that a recent movie?
I just noticed I have that UltraViolet thing on my copy of Total Recall.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
I'm on Bluray.com and if I happen to buy a movie with a Digital Copy/ UV or whatever type of digital copy I always just give the code away free since I know I wont be using it.
Da Man
join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

Da Man to SysOp

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

Even with Handbrake x64, the fastest trans-coder I've used it takes about 4hr to compress bluray H.264@36mbps to H.264@2mbps using a hex core cpu.

QuickSync can do it in about 15 minutes and x264 -preset ultrafast or superfast should get it done under an hour on a quad. The lower quality shouldn't be noticeable on portable device.