Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Deschain

Re: Graphics Card Upgrade

Let us know how you like it. It should be a nice step up from the 460.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I prefer EVGA for customer service, MSI's are supposed to OC very well but have iffy customer service, Sapphires perform great but have horrible customer service, ASUS and Gigabyte are solid picks across the board.

Hope that helps.

Hey Kris, what do you think of Galaxy?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Heard nothing for or against. I've seen them sold at Best Buy and Microcenter, but they don't seem to be a mainstream enthusiast brand.

Deschain

join:2012-12-13
Blighty
reply to Deschain
Damn! It isn't coming until Monday now. Looks like the weekend with my old 460 still

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Waiting is the worst part.

Deschain

Blighty
I've already downloaded the AMD drivers and have them in a folder on my desktop. I've also downloaded Driversweeper, as I've been told this is neccesary to do when swapping brands of GPUs?

HURRY UP MONDAY!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
You don't need to run programs like Driver Sweeper anymore now days.

Drivers are clean installed, with all previous versions deleted. At least that's the way EVGA/Nvidia does.

Deschain

Blighty
So you don't even have to uninstall the old drivers through Control Panel / Devices ?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Since you're going from Nvidia to AMD though, I'm not 100% certain. But I'd just uninstall the Nvidia drivers through your control panel and then do a clean install on the AMD drivers. You should be good to go. I wouldn't even bother with Driver Sweeper.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
I had to use Driver Fusion to get rid of my old AMD drivers...it could have been an isolated issue with me, but I definitely had old drivers still on my machine after I downloaded the newest 12.11 beta11 drivers.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
Typically, when staying within the same brand of GPU, it's usually good to remove all previous versions before installing the newest. You can do this by just using the Programs and Features Uninstall menu in Control Panel. Plain and simple. And maybe some CCleaner to clean up the registry for good measure. Going through the Devices Menu(Located within Control Panel>System>Devices) and manually removing your Display devices is also good practice. Then lastly, just do a restart to finalize the whole process.

If you're changing brands, it's better to be alittle more thorough when cleaning up drivers. Uninstall them in control panel, use Ccleaner, Driver Sweeper, going through the Devices menu(located within Control Panel>System>Device Manager) and manually removing your Display devices, and then the plain old "eye test": a quick search manually for left-over folders that might still be lingering on your harddrive. Definitely restart your PC and then do the entire process once more with a final restart.

When changing brands and going from Nvidia to ATI or vice versa, its better to be just alittle more thorough and even more patient when going through the process of cleaning things out. Having left over drivers in this case can be much more troublesome. So it's good to be thorough.

Link to Driver Sweeper: »www.guru3d.com/files_get/guru3d_···),7.html

Some more resources:
- »www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/h···l.90352/
- »www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-t···cs-cards