how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

racerboX
Advanced Micro..what?

join:2002-06-25

[INTERNET] Overage usage skyrocketing

Hi, something weird has happened with our internet usage. First, we have the ultimate 30 plan which should include a 175gb limit. We used 67gb one month and then the next month it jumped up to 369gb. Obviously, this is over the limit and is shown on the bill. (I also wasn't aware that the $50 over cap has been removed :\). I've seen some stories like this but no resolution. Can someone, hopefully a cogeco rep, point me in the right direction with this? Is there anything I can do with cogeco?

p.s. the network is using WPA2 and I'm not seeing any unusual activity through the router client table. There have been no big changes as far as browsing/streaming activity. Also, we didn't receive any warning emails from cogeco (85%, 100%) - are these no longer sent out??

Thank you in advance!

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6

1 edit

If you want to PM me your modem MAC, I can take a look for you. Alternatively, you can log into My Account and go to the Internet Usage link and see which days the majority of the usage was consumed.

edit: Davesnothere noticed a mistake I made calling usage bandwidth. Fixed.

Livadia

join:2007-12-18
Canada
reply to racerboX

You are the lucky person of this month draw! A few months ago I just 'used' 82 GB, all in one day (and that when their meter was down)! My monthly normal average is 25-70 GB.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to racerboX

Harrumph !

First of all, Cogeco calls it USAGE (the proper term) and their rep posting above me calls it BANDWIDTH.

SHAME ! (must have worked for Bell or TSI before)

EDIT (to Aaron) : Thanks - I know - it's an easy trap into which to fall, as SOOOO many innocent subscribers got fooled into incorrectly calling it that, mostly by those 2 other parties.

As for whether the usage numbers are right or wrong, hard to say, but Cogeco has a history of troubles with accuracy of their usage metering, as well as the meter simply cutting out for several days at a stretch on multiple occasions during a particular month, and then mysteriously recovering and posting the retro info for each missing period, with no comment (let alone an apology) from the company.

That anomaly happened to me frequently during a 4 month stretch with Cogeco earlier this year (before START started to offer service thru the Cogeco AGG network feed).

And NO notification ?

I know of this too.

They stupidly REFUSE to send notification emails to external email addresses (which by now nearly EVERYONE has), and expect you to use a Cogeco email address.

THEN, the damned Cogeco email system does not work properly and in a civilized manner, itself refusing to let a customer set it to auto-forward incoming emails to an external address - you know - the kind which I just said that almost everyone has by now ?

Actually, it DOES let you SET it to do that, but even worse - it does not comply.

Yep, been there and done that too.

Wondering why I LEFT Cogeco ?

Wonder no MORE !

Their price was not the whole story - though it played a part.

Did I post here about all of these things ?

You Betcha !

I may add some links later to such threads, but they are not too far buried.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

The government is the problem here, not Cogeco. Cogeco will rob people blind if allowed to.

Industry Canada and Weights & Measures need to get involved with this evil shit and put an end to it. They're just too busy counting their payola and being sumbitches.

It's obscene.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by dillyhammer:

The government is the problem here, not Cogeco. Cogeco will rob people blind if allowed to.

Industry Canada and Weights & Measures need to get involved with this evil shit and put an end to it. They're just too busy counting their payola and being sumbitches.

It's obscene.

Mike

And you know why that is, right?

Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

There is zero motive for the government to regulate this, since it would be a loss of money for them.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

said by J E F F:

And you know why that is, right?

Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

There is zero motive for the government to regulate this, since it would be a loss of money for them.

That makes no sense. Could you imagine not holding natural gas or electricity rates back? Or letting gas and hydro meters run unchecked?

Either way, go to Start.ca, sign up. Be happy. ULs don't count to your cap and you'll save baby seals. Everyone wins.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

....Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

I am reminded of that mindset, each and every time I visit the gasoline pump.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Phorkster

Things like gas and electric are political, if prices are too high, backlash against politicians. All gas, water and electric have been metered long before Internet, as per government laws. People don't want metered Internet.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

racerboX
Advanced Micro..what?

Wow, I really hope this can be resolved. I usually use about 3-4gb download a day and for the same day I made the OP it displays 16gb downloaded :| . (And I definitely changed all my router passwords before that). Aaron, thank you, please check your inbox.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

said by racerboX:

Wow, I really hope this can be resolved. I usually use about 3-4gb download a day and for the same day I made the OP it displays 16gb downloaded :| . (And I definitely changed all my router passwords before that). Aaron, thank you, please check your inbox.

If you have logs from your router (which I did) send off screenshots of Cogecos usage page with your routers usage page. Send them here: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/

dazium

join:2007-02-24
Windsor, ON
reply to racerboX

Once again my Usage Is way off the charts our avg is about 30 gig somehow in one day i got something like 80+ gig, data i cannon account for. I called cogeco and they lowered the bill 25$ that is total bull shit. This house never uses that much data ever.
November 2012 October 2012 September 2012
Download 109.65 GB (112,280.1 MB) 30.78 GB (31,520.08 MB) 4.56 GB (4,671.99 MB)
Upload 19.11 GB (19,567.83 MB) 3.73 GB (3,821.16 MB) 2.53 GB (2,591.77 MB)
Total 128.76 GB (131,847.93 MB) 34.51 GB (35,341.24 MB) 7.09 GB (7,263.76 MB)

this is the second time this has happened over the past year. i think the modem is somehow registering network traffic as well. or their meter is still broken. Why do i have to pay for the errorenous meter readings?

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to racerboX

It almost looks like people have had the cable modem mac address cloned..... is this still a problem on the cable networks?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Things like gas and electric are political, if prices are too high, backlash against politicians. All gas, water and electric have been metered long before Internet, as per government laws. People don't want metered Internet.

And the backlash against UBB when Tony Clement stepped in and said the CRTC's ruling wouldn't be allowed to stand wasn't political?

Sure.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Of course it was political. These guys will do anything to save their ass. But technically, caps are a form of UBB. They're just high enough not to piss enough people off. Except those of us who either torrent or download legally, such as streaming.

And you know why these guys don't want you streaming Netflix and Hulu, right?

HOWEVER, cable shouldn't worry about that. I just read today that cable subscriptions went *UP* this year, not down. Why? Because we still want our live sports..though without NHL, that might change.
--

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?

join:2002-11-14
reply to racerboX

I KNOW this will never happen but...
I wish it were law that if a ISP's meter is broken then the customer should get the benefit of the doubt !!!
Being disabled I can tell you it takes a lot of effort to resolve situations like this....
Every customer should have a clean slate when they sign up...why do I have to take time out of my day to correct problems that have been pointed out for years?
???????????????????????????????
--
Party On Garth! ... Party On Wayne !
Shwing!

racerboX
Advanced Micro..what?

UPDATE:

We were out of town over the weekend and I unplugged the modem and router completely. After getting back, I plugged it back in and checked the the usage again on the cogeco site...It still displayed uploads near 10gb for those few days (when the modem was unplugged). I called cogeco and when I told them about this they finally agreed that something was wrong on their end. (They were able to see that the modem was just powered back on and was not on over the weekend.) I was told that I wouldn't be charged for going over and let's hope that's reflected on the next bill.

What concerns me is that during the last call we made before this, they just said sorry they weren't responsible and we would have to pay the full amount (which was like $500 over two months). Also, no explanation as to why no notification emails were sent. Anyways, I switched the modem and the usage from yesterday dropped from about 10gb upload to 400mb... go figure.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON

400mb still seems like a lot to me, if i don't upload to youtube, i don't normally upload much more than 250mb/day.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to racerboX

said by racerboX:

UPDATE:

We were out of town over the weekend and I unplugged the modem and router completely. After getting back, I plugged it back in and checked the the usage again on the cogeco site...It still displayed uploads near 10gb for those few days (when the modem was unplugged). I called cogeco and when I told them about this they finally agreed that something was wrong on their end. (They were able to see that the modem was just powered back on and was not on over the weekend.) I was told that I wouldn't be charged for going over and let's hope that's reflected on the next bill.

What concerns me is that during the last call we made before this, they just said sorry they weren't responsible and we would have to pay the full amount (which was like $500 over two months). Also, no explanation as to why no notification emails were sent. Anyways, I switched the modem and the usage from yesterday dropped from about 10gb upload to 400mb... go figure.

How often is this happening to people, and they aren't noticing it?

Pretty shady situation

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to racerboX

said by racerboX:

UPDATE:

Absolutely criminal that this is occurring. Somebody should be in prison, and the goddamn government needs to get involved in this.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

said by dillyhammer:

Absolutely criminal that this is occurring. Somebody should be in prison, and the goddamn government needs to get involved in this.

Mike

The government is involved. They happily receive millions of dollars per year in political party contributions from Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, and others, as well as other back-door contributions (wink, wink )

It's called a silent endorsement.
Expand your moderator at work

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Mister M

Re: [INTERNET] Overage usage skyrocketing

said by Mister M:

The government is involved. They happily receive millions of dollars per year in political party contributions from Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, and others, as well as other back-door contributions (wink, wink )

It's called a silent endorsement.

In response to your allegations, I'll just leave this right here »www.elections.ca/content.aspx?se···7&lang=e

iamjimsmith

join:2004-01-25
Georgetown, ON

The $276 overage charge I received back in july 2012 finally got me off my ass and switch to standard broadband $44.99 per month and it is unlimited.I also moved my phone to them as well. the next phase of my plan to finally rid myself of Cogeco for good is to get an antenna

Expand your moderator at work