PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Deschain

Premium Member

to Deschain

Re: Graphics Card Upgrade

I would guess that as long as you are sticking to a single GPU solution, your CPU should not be too much of a bottleneck. I have a CPU about as old as yours (Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz quad-core), and I am starting to think about rebuilding when Haswell hits.

Unfortunately AMD CPUs took a dive and actually had worse performance when the Bulldozer chips replaced the Phenom II chips. Piledriver (just released) now can equal the performance of the Phenom II X6. Intel, meanwhile, has continued to push on with shrinking their fabs and adding features and speed, so they have a sizeable advantage in the CPU department.

tl;dr you're probably good for another 12 months on that CPU--buy whatever you want for a GPU.

Current GPUs are ranked here: »www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 7-7.html

Current CPUs are ranked here: »techreport.com/review/23 ··· y-cpus/8

Deschain
@scansafe.net

Deschain

Anon

Thanks Kris - that's really good information.

So if I was to get a 560ti 448 core, for example, would that be a marked upgrade over my 460 ?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
I put together this chart comparing the GTX 460 to the GTX 560Ti 448 core and the GTX 670 using the following benchmark sites:

»www.videocardbenchmark.n ··· pus.html
»www.hwcompare.com/

I didn't include the GTX 660 because, while it is faster in some cases, it's actually slower than the 560 Ti 448 core when it comes to pixel rate. I consider the GTX 670 to be the next "true step up" to the 56Ti 448core, so I included that for reference.