join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

3 edits

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

[HD] Never Saw this SDV Screen Before

Click for full size
SDV What???
While checking the frequency where beIN USA went this morning, I noticed that the Current Channel Status (believe its d04 or d06) selection in the diagnostics menu now has a "Page 3".

I've attached a picture of it - I've never seen this before today (haven't really checked lately). This is on my RNG200-N DVR.

I'm telling you - adding a number of new channels lately only in SD - sitting on a ton of QAM space - something is up.

**For S & G, check out the new Brighthouse (Time Warner) lineup they rolled out today - all of that HD - dear God....**

»brighthouse.com/static/d ··· BIRM.pdf
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

And the Birmingham/Indianapolis lineups are missing some stuff they have in Florida and Bakersfield. Bright House, and most of Time Warner, shames Comcast in HD channels. And the margin is only growing worse.

I just don't think Comcast cares that much about HD. But I think their adoption rates are much more limited than TWC/BHN because of the HD technology fee. Less customers demanding the service means less need to commit the bandwidth.

I swore when Comcast made their deal with ABC/Disney that we'd see Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD, ESPN Deportes HD and Disney Jr. HD come up almost immediately, but they didn't. And then you have the fiasco with who gets the Pac-12 Network (SD only), and every new addition being SD only. Plus, you have GolTV disappearing and MGM HD disappearing in parts of the Midwest.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Your box supports SDV, but it's not used. iGuide A30 is being rolled out, and that is usually accompanied by a firmware update.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
What firmware version is that?
What is the RNG-200N based off of? Is it at heart a DCX3500m board inside of the custom spec Comcast shell?

I thought RNG was pace but that's def. a Motorola diag screen (as opposed to pace colorful blue diagnostic 'dashboard'.)

Regarding HD channels and lineups, that sure is a nice lineup there at Brighthouse. Though I still don't understand why they have to have separate channel numbers still for HD and SD in this day an age. If an HD box is connected via SD outputs, it will just letterbox or squish the HD picture to fit an SD signal anyway.
They should prefer HD signals on the channels and just make it a toggle button if you prefer to go to the SD mapping (to save DVR space or bypass a potential signal issue).

I have SD Duplicates hidden from the guide on my DirecTV setup (default setting on any HD / DVR). What I noticed is that between my wife and when her family visits, no one puts the "wrong" SD channel on anymore!

TWC is using SDV on Motorola hardware in some area's. I would imagine that "page 3" of that screen would be populated with useful info. One would have to ask motorola870 See Profile if that is the case.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by cypherstream:

Though I still don't understand why they have to have separate channel numbers still for HD and SD in this day an age.

- they STILL have full analog lineups - & lots of subs that do not have ANY boxes
- they have LOTS of subs w/SD-only boxes
- they are JUST now starting to deploy DTA's (at least TWC is, not sure about BH...)

And since they both use SDV & basically have unlimited bandwidth, they do NOT have to worry about taking up that much (extra) space with duplicating HD & SD channels.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by dishrich:

- they STILL have full analog lineups - & lots of subs that do not have ANY boxes
- they have LOTS of subs w/SD-only boxes
- they are JUST now starting to deploy DTA's (at least TWC is, not sure about BH...)

Its a software mapping though.
-If you have an HD box, tune to channel 10, maybe the software would take you to 723 MHz, mpeg stream 2.

-If you have an SD box and tune to channel 10, maybe the software takes you to 543 MHz, mpeg stream 7.

-If you have an analog TV and tune to channel 10, then of course you tune to the analog ntsc frequency of 193.25 MHz (video carrier) / 197.75 MHz (audio carrier).

Point is, channel 10 is channel 10. If its WCAU 10 Philly or CNN or ESPN or whatever... you shouldn't have to know all these different numbers.

DirecTV's got it right here. Doesn't matter if you have a D10 or the new HR34 genie. Ch 206 is ESPN, 202 is CNN, and in my area 3,6,10,17,29,57,61,69 are exactly that.
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by cypherstream:

Its a software mapping though

Well I was really answering your point of:
quote:
If an HD box is connected via SD outputs, it will just letterbox or squish the HD picture to fit an SD signal anyway.
My point being, EVERY sub is NOT going to have an HD box anytime soon...

Point is, channel 10 is channel 10. If its WCAU 10 Philly or CNN or ESPN or whatever... you shouldn't have to know all these different numbers.

DirecTV's got it right here.

As well as does DISH; don't disagree with you here.

At least though BH DID have sense enough to take ALL the HD channels en mass, & put them up in the 1000's - so you just add a "1" to the normal (3-digit) SD channel. HELLAVA LOT better than what we have with Comcrap here - ALL HD is scattered willy-nilly in the 600's & 900's - & co-mingled w/SD channels in those (same) ranges...

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Well because when you use an HD box it has its own firmware compared to an SD box, I think they should all just prioritize pulling in the HD signal ch 2-999. Then 1000+ make that the SD signal.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to dishrich

to dishrich
The numbers do not correspond in the 1000's with Bright House Florida. The SD numbers are different than the HD.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

What is the RNG-200N based off of? Is it at heart a DCX3500m board inside of the custom spec Comcast shell?

I thought RNG was pace but that's def. a Motorola diag screen (as opposed to pace colorful blue diagnostic 'dashboard'.)

Regarding HD channels and lineups, that sure is a nice lineup there at Brighthouse. Though I still don't understand why they have to have separate channel numbers still for HD and SD in this day an age. If an HD box is connected via SD outputs, it will just letterbox or squish the HD picture to fit an SD signal anyway.
They should prefer HD signals on the channels and just make it a toggle button if you prefer to go to the SD mapping (to save DVR space or bypass a potential signal issue).

I have SD Duplicates hidden from the guide on my DirecTV setup (default setting on any HD / DVR). What I noticed is that between my wife and when her family visits, no one puts the "wrong" SD channel on anymore!

TWC is using SDV on Motorola hardware in some area's. I would imagine that "page 3" of that screen would be populated with useful info. One would have to ask motorola870 See Profile if that is the case.

well I have SDV and those screens are not even populated I gained them with the firmware update of 24.07 on my DCX3400. I was told yesterday that my area is also deploying Cisco 8742 HDC and 4742HDC along with the DCX3200Mp3 and DCX3400M and DCX3510M for navigator whole house DVR and for those that want to upgrade to them.

all of the SDV diagnostics that I have with the bigband now ARRIS (system that is deployed in the TWC North Texas (dallas lineup) is in iGuide or Navigator diagnostics. The iGuide diagnostics have a ton of info such as the id of the QAM for SDV tuning as they label each SDV QAM with an id mine are 13648 to 13672.

I went to see family in east texas and they have suddenlink and they have a DCX3400M with iGuide and it had a firmware of 22.xx and it had more info that 24.35 which I am on right now????. That box had AGC level info for each tuner under d04!
motorola870

motorola870 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Well because when you use an HD box it has its own firmware compared to an SD box, I think they should all just prioritize pulling in the HD signal ch 2-999. Then 1000+ make that the SD signal.

this is supposedly going to happen with TWC's coming up master lineup coming out next year hopefully!

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Looks like the new X1 box auto switches to HD. Check this video review:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yQTqh7gM

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by cypherstream:

Looks like the new X1 box auto switches to HD. Check this video review:

(youtube clip)

those screens look similar to the black version of navigator except they are more in depth and more updated. I hear that Navigator is still too buggy although they do have poster art in search and on demand searches on the DCX-M and Samsung along with 4640HDC and 8640HDC and higher cisco boxes.

I believe that Navigator 6.0 is coming out as we speak.
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Os

to Os
said by Os:

The numbers do not correspond in the 1000's with Bright House Florida. The SD numbers are different than the HD.

I meant on the areas that did just change on the OP's links...

And frankly at this point, I'd even take BH-FL numbering scheme as is, over the (Com)crap we have now - I believe at least all of their HD is in the 1000's; beats having to jump between what we have now...
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

. . .

I know that Comcast uses the RNG label with both Motorola and Cisco STBs, also.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Russ6:

I know that Comcast uses the RNG label with both Motorola and Cisco STBs, also.

Yes, there are a number of different boxes that use the RNG prefix. "RNG" is Comcast's specification for "Residential Network Gateway" boxes »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Os

to Os
also no big ten alt HD, NO CLTV HD even when CLTV SD is still used for CSN + SD and they have the INFO channel HD slot (CSN + HD) that they should be able to slot CLTV HD into.

RCN has the missing HBO, stars, max, show HD. 2 BTN alt feeds, MGM HD, Disney Jr HD and others that comcast does not have.

WOW has
Encore Action HD, Encore Drama HD, fox movie channel HD, MGM HD, more Premium HD then comcast.

Directv has most of the Premium HD + some west feeds.
HD net movies, out of market packs blow comcast away most games in HD many with dual HD feeds. HD guide.
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1 to Os

to Os
said by Os:

And the Birmingham/Indianapolis lineups are missing some stuff they have in Florida and Bakersfield. Bright House, and most of Time Warner, shames Comcast in HD channels. And the margin is only growing worse.

I just don't think Comcast cares that much about HD. But I think their adoption rates are much more limited than TWC/BHN because of the HD technology fee. Less customers demanding the service means less need to commit the bandwidth.

I swore when Comcast made their deal with ABC/Disney that we'd see Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD, ESPN Deportes HD and Disney Jr. HD come up almost immediately, but they didn't. And then you have the fiasco with who gets the Pac-12 Network (SD only), and every new addition being SD only. Plus, you have GolTV disappearing and MGM HD disappearing in parts of the Midwest.

I agree. Comcast does not care about HD. In my area that has the capacity Comcast has decided to not add the above HD channels but has decided to drop MGMHD claiming you could get all there movies On demand (which we all know is not true).
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

. Though I still don't understand why they have to have separate channel numbers still for HD and SD in this day an age. If an HD box is connected via SD outputs, it will just letterbox or squish the HD picture to fit an SD signal anyway.

IO cable has it, rogers cable has auto hd
Joe12345678

to cypherstream
directv does have some alt feeds and out of market games with the HD with a -1 at the end.
Joe12345678

to cypherstream
the pop says HD program so does it need the guide flag for it to auto tune?? can it auto tune to a HD channel with out needing the show to be flaged as being in HD.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Your arguments about Comcast not being devoted to HD is likely true. The Weather Channel here has the local on the 8's on the SD channel (ch 47) for the Springfield area (weather station is Westover ARB) but if you tune to Weather Channel HD, then it looks more like you are watching it on DirecTV/Dish as the local on the 8's scrolls through major cities (with the closest city to us that they feature is Hartford and Boston). They have not put the equipment at the headend yet to insert the local weather on TWC HD at the Comcast headend in Westfield yet.

As for HD, there are many folks that still have SD sets (I only have one HDTV out of the three TVs in my house) and I don't like those ugly bars on the top and bottom. But I do have to put up with the bars on the sides of my HDTV, which is more tolerable as you are not shrinking the program like they do with widescreen on SDTV.

I just hope that they don't adopt SDV, I put one of my TiVo boxes at my grandma's house in Time Warner's turf and the tuning adapter is just another piece of hardware that takes up another electrical outlet.