uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to Markie

Re: Tim Hortons: foreign temp workers "pioneer"

Are teenagers so well off they don't need jobs?

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada

Would the corporation care if there were? This isn't about a lack of Canadian workers, this is a litmus test to gauge public reaction and to see who is actually paying attention to the corporate atrocities being committed in plain sight. If environmental concerns don't outrage, if CEO compensation is tolerated, if offshoring of profits are allowed it only stands to reason that eventually they would focus on what could never be exported, front line service jobs. Importing slaves at a 15% discount to fill those jobs is an end run around labour codes, and that 15% is todays figure, who is to say it couldn't increase if this scheme is carried to its intended conclusion?
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

In our town. Our Tim's is staffed from 12am to 8am by foreign workers. Then from 8am - 3pm its mostly locals. then from 3pm-8pm its mostly local teens and then from 8pm - 12am its foreigners.

I think its a great mix and I realize that running a 24/7 business requires a lot of personel not to mention that a lot of canadians look down upon these jobs...

Oh to add the weekends 6am - 12am are staffed by mostly teens

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Markie:

This is abhorrent, exploitative and ought to be ended. We have a large pool of unskilled Canadians, and if they won't do the job for minimum wage then employers should be forced to be true capitalists rather than slave owners.

... you refer to capitalists yet you involve a dictatorship? Weird.

In any case, I disagree with your assessment of the situation as two of the local Tim Horton's has had 'help wanted' signs on their windows for weeks now, maybe a month.

If we worked with your dictatorship capitalism idea, the cost of coffee would go up considerably, since this labour pool you allege exists would want a minimum of $45,000 a year with benefits, paid sick days, more benefits and a representative union to make sure this goes up a few thousand dollars every year.

I'm sure most Canadians would prefer to pay less than $15 for a cup of coffee.

said by Thane_Bitter:

Yes, these days they live at home with their parents until they're 30 or married (but if married before 30, they usually divorce and come back at some point before they're 35).

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

I always thought if I had a chance to do it over I wouldn't of started working right out of the gate at age 16 (The legal age in BC where you don't need parental consent). I was 16, I pretty much spent my money on crap anyways. I probably should of enjoyed those years a bit more hanging out with friends at the river, rather then bagging groceries and collecting carts.... lol.

Or maybe I shouldn't of let them goad me into working 33.5 hours/week while going to school

Edit: As for using foreign workers. I was ok with it before, but those first few posts made me change my view on it. It really does circumvent supply and demand. I could understand allowing in parts of the country where there aren't enough workers (Alberta?) but in the rest of the country unemployment is high enough that imported cheap labour shouldn't be needed.

I lived in Edmonton for a while, the one thing I always found interesting was that most people didn't know what minimum wage was because no one would work for it. Everything from McD's to grocery stores had to pay more to staff their stores. All of those companies survived just fine.

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by Markie:

This is abhorrent, exploitative and ought to be ended. We have a large pool of unskilled Canadians, and if they won't do the job for minimum wage then employers should be forced to be true capitalists rather than slave owners.

... you refer to capitalists yet you involve a dictatorship? Weird.

What the fuck? Revoking labour arbitrage is hardly dictatorship.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

Actually tims probably doesnt even consider them. My gf applied at timmies and never heard back. They use those annoying online hr apps to filter everyone. These temp worker permits are being abused and the government is complicit.
Expand your moderator at work