Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

M e r r y C h r i s t m a s !

Hey ya all know I am not a Christian by any stretch, but I am also not ANAL.

So I am wishing you all MERRY CHRISTMAS eh and not happy holidays or Xmas or some PC dodge.

I don't mind their music and their nativities at all. I don't mind being greeted as if I was one of them. I don't mind the tree and I don't mind cards with in your face religious themes.

Actually, if given a choice, I'd rather Santa Claus pissed off, he does me serious economic harm.

But I even don't mind that wallet rapind fat doofus either to some extent. Not enough to ruin it for those that like him.

But for all out there that have a bug up their ass for all this CHRISTMAS being shoved on them, I suppose I will offer this alternative greeting.

"How are you not that I give a shit I don't even know you."

There, did that brighten your day a little. Slef important little shits that you are.

This Christmas give the one gift that won't cost you a cent. Give the gift of not minding. It will make the other person smile if they do actually like calling it Christmas, and it won't cost you anything really.

Because rights are a two way process people. They don't have the right to make us celebrate, but we don't have the right to make them NOT celebrate. In a perfect world, we only worry about rights that actually matter.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 recommendation

Technically the origins of Christmas aren't Christian at all..yeah, I'm being a killjoy and all...

December 25 used to be a pagan holiday to worship the Sun god and it's rebirth. (since that would have been when they noticed the days getting longer) At some point, the Roman Catholic church (the pope in fact) degreed that the pagan holiday (because the converts still wanted to celebrate the holidays) would be Jesus birthdate. Most of the rituals that go along with Christmas like the tree, gift exchange, children being sacrificed and kissing under mistletoe (having to do with sperm and stuff) originated long before Jesus even roamed the other.

During the 15-17 centuries, Great Britain had banned the practice of the Catholics celebrating this holiday and some believe that is where the "12 Days" of Christmas song came along - the catholic kids could recite the song. Others believe the "12 Days" were the difference between what the Catholic said the birth of the Christ was (December 25) and what the eastern thought the birth date was (January 6).

Whatever the case, though, it didn't have Christian beginnings.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
Well all of the other things that we do at Christmas are not Christian but the origins of Christmas certainly is. It is the celebration of Jesus' birth, plain and simple. As to what actual day that is we do not know know.

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

2 recommendations

reply to Sukunai
Personally I do not give a shit what people say to me. If they want to say Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas, or Xmas, then so be it.

Do you know what I care about when someone says any of those things to me and my family? They want me to enjoy this time of year, to enjoy it with my family and friends. They want their happiness to be my happiness.

Christmas time is a time for people to be as happy as they want to be, celebrate religion if they want, or merely open an unholy amount of presents. People who bitch (both the "PC" crowd and those who rail against the PC crowd) need to lighten the fuck up.

Let it be, let it be
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.
Expand your moderator at work

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Sukunai

Re: M e r r y C h r i s t m a s !

For me as a Christian, obviously what goes on in my Church and my home reflects a religious celebration, but I can honestly say that pretty much nothing that happens in public celebrations around Canada is even the slightest bit religious. I'm not blind to the fact that there can be "Christian" references in public celebrations (many carols that are played are religious, for example), but there is absolutely nothing about public Christmas celebration that reflects any of the sacredness that would be required for it to be religious.

So when people complain that "Christmas" is a religious holiday and that religion is being imposed on them by it, I'd say that Christmas in society is about as religious as Chinese food at the Mandarin is actually Chinese. At best, it's inspired by a religious holiday -- but it's not one.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Oxidd

join:2010-02-24
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Styvas

I'm an atheist that grew up in a catholic home (well, my parents are catholic but go to church for weddings and funerals only).

I don't mind the whole Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays stuff. I have a Christmas tree at home, but no 'Jesus barn' under it. I will still celebrate a family supper on the 24th and 25th, etc.

I see it more as a way to be thankfull of your family and an excuse to see them and buy stuff.

Like I see easter: Chocolate overdose weekend.

But then again some stuff bothers me, like someone telling me "God bless you" after I sneeze. I usually answer "No thank you!"

Ramen my friends.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by Oxidd:

Ramen my friends.

What do noodles have to do with it?

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Oxidd
said by Oxidd:

But then again some stuff bothers me, like someone telling me "God bless you" after I sneeze. I usually answer "No thank you!"

But that's just needlessly sensitive. It's like being offended by the names of the days of the week (most named after various ancient Gods). You're lucky you don't speak Russian (I'll assume you don't). The word for 'thank you' comes from the root 'God save you', and 'you're welcome' means 'wish that for me a hundred times', not to mention Saturday and Sunday being called Sabbath and Resurrection Day.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
But at least it's 'be healthy' in Russian instead of bless you when someone sneezes!

I'm not religious at all, and I'm not sensitive to someone telling me bless you if I sneeze, though I do prefer not hearing anything, or at least hearing the gazunteight variant... as I find it overly ironing that I'm being blessed by the one who is supposedly going to send me to hell and condemn me to eternal torture for being a heathen.

The holidays are great though. I always love paid vacation. The gifts are nice (when people don't go crazy/bitchy or too demanding about what they want or what they got) and all the lights outside are perfect for winter with it getting dark so early and most people barely seeing any sunlight all week.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

1 edit
i wish everyone a merry christmas

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Technically the origins of Christmas aren't Christian at all..yeah, I'm being a killjoy and all...

December 25 used to be a pagan holiday to worship the Sun god and it's rebirth. (since that would have been when they noticed the days getting longer) At some point, the Roman Catholic church (the pope in fact) degreed that the pagan holiday (because the converts still wanted to celebrate the holidays) would be Jesus birthdate. Most of the rituals that go along with Christmas like the tree, gift exchange, children being sacrificed and kissing under mistletoe (having to do with sperm and stuff) originated long before Jesus even roamed the other.

During the 15-17 centuries, Great Britain had banned the practice of the Catholics celebrating this holiday and some believe that is where the "12 Days" of Christmas song came along - the catholic kids could recite the song. Others believe the "12 Days" were the difference between what the Catholic said the birth of the Christ was (December 25) and what the eastern thought the birth date was (January 6).

Whatever the case, though, it didn't have Christian beginnings.

WOW! Someone that actually knows REAL history, I'm impressed! That's a very rare thing these days! Many of our customs came from ancient babylon satanic customs... they're just rebranded as new age crap which the majority of people, that don't know any better, believe to be new.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

Personally I do not give a shit what people say to me. If they want to say Happy Holidays, or Merry Christmas, or Xmas, then so be it.

Do you know what I care about when someone says any of those things to me and my family? They want me to enjoy this time of year, to enjoy it with my family and friends. They want their happiness to be my happiness.

Christmas time is a time for people to be as happy as they want to be, celebrate religion if they want, or merely open an unholy amount of presents. People who bitch (both the "PC" crowd and those who rail against the PC crowd) need to lighten the fuck up.

Let it be, let it be

Normally I'm agitated when people quote someone else's post in its entirety but everything you wrote perfectly articulates what my response wanted to be (yours is more polite). Well said.

Tolerance, anti-tolerance, political correctness, anti-political correctness... I file it all under "making a big stink out of nothing".

Merry Christmas Also, great avatar!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Sukunai

said by Sukunai:

Actually, if given a choice, I'd rather Santa Claus pissed off, he does me serious economic harm.

I hear you, some where along the way good will was replaced with want, expectations and demands.

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to Sukunai

Bell guy

@bellmobilite.ca
we also say merry christmas around here

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to Sukunai

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Most of the rituals that go along with Christmas like the tree, gift exchange, children being sacrificed and kissing under mistletoe (having to do with sperm and stuff) originated long before Jesus even roamed the other.

Now there's one Christmas tradition I'm glad didn't catch on.

I was indoctrinated Roman Catholic as a child. By the time I was 12, I saw it for the scam that it was and stopped going to church. So clearly I'm not 'religious' in the organized religion sense of the word.

I positively hate the Christmas music about Santa coming down Santa Claus Lane, Grandma kissing Santa, and red-nosed reindeer; and yet I still get goose-bumps listening to the classical religious carols.. Go figure!

Merry Christmas ! Gesundheit alles.

anon1

@teksavvy.com
reply to J E F F
News Hour -
Christmas trees versus holiday trees
Fri, Dec 21: Some GTA malls now refer to their Christmas trees as holiday trees so we find out the significance of the tree and why it's named after Christmas. Minna Rhee reports.

»www.globaltoronto.com/video/chri···dd#video

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Over the top.

What is wrong with these overly politically correct Canadians!? Jews all over the world refer to them, decorated in that manner, as "christmas trees" and even grow them in Israel to sell to Christians at Christmas time, as do Muslims in countries that host Christians, sometimes refer to them as "christmas tree" in plain english and sometimes even decorate their malls with them, so what faith is upset about "Christmas tree"!? Sikhs? Hindu? I doubt that.

I bet you the amount of people that are incensed over the name change to 'Holiday tree' overwhelm the zero people upset about the word 'Christmas tree'.

"We have zero complaints so we're going to change Christmas to Holiday... just in case."

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
said by urbanriot:

Over the top.

What is wrong with these overly politically correct Canadians!? Jews all over the world refer to them, decorated in that manner, as "christmas trees" and even grow them in Israel to sell to Christians at Christmas time, as do Muslims in countries that host Christians, sometimes refer to them as "christmas tree" in plain english and sometimes even decorate their malls with them, so what faith is upset about "Christmas tree"!? Sikhs? Hindu? I doubt that.

I bet you the amount of people that are incensed over the name change to 'Holiday tree' overwhelm the zero people upset about the word 'Christmas tree'.

"We have zero complaints so we're going to change Christmas to Holiday... just in case."

somebody needs a drink or two. or in other words calm down bro.
And how come you forgot to add Muslims to that list. Stop watching Foxnes bro.

"‘Political correctness is diluting Christmas,’ Vancouver-area Conservative Sikh MP says" National Post.

Merry Christmas everyone.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by loosedobbs:

said by urbanriot:

as do Muslims in countries that host Christians, sometimes refer to them as "christmas tree" in plain english and sometimes even decorate their malls with them

somebody needs a drink or two. or in other words calm down bro.
And how come you forgot to add Muslims to that list. Stop watching Foxnes bro.

hey bro no idea what foxnes is bro. but learn to read bro.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to Sukunai
Click for full size
Santa's New Hot Rod
Not really in the Christmas spirit this year so I have not done any seasonal images but here is one I did a few years ago... "Santa's New Hot Rod"....

Merry Christmas everyone, all the best in 2013....