uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

4 edits

Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

EDIT The campaign is NOW LIVE! Let's do this people!

»www.indiegogo.com/AgainstCopyrightBullying

------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking about this some more:

Here's what we do.

We launch our KickStarter and retain a lawyer. Once the court order to release the IP's goes through, we convince Teksavvy to send out an email release notifying affected customers of the fact that a lawyer is willing to take their case.

We have said lawyer send back 2300 letters of denial to Voltage Pictures. Their only recourse then is to actually go to court. I really don't think they want to do this at all. Even if they do, we now start fighting 2300 court cases serially. After each case we win, we demand that they drop all of the others.

This whole thing only works because somewhere between 15% and 40% of targeted individuals settle out of court, and I'd guess they'd want a settlement of somewhere between $600 and $1000. This means they'd raise somewhere between $207000 and $920000. This is just seed money so that they can afford to do the same thing to Rogers and Bell customers, and pay them for the IP's.

We need to send a clear, and strong message. This ends now.

Who's with me?

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

1 edit

Re: Kickstarter to raise funds for legal fees vs Voltage LLC

Well now that you explain it better... [old post deleted]

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Bump for edit of OP. New better plan.

AnonRick

@teksavvy.com
reply to stevey_frac

Voltage should be required to pay all of TekSavvy's costs.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

Why? We pay Teksavvy money every single month, so there's no need to start a Kickstarter campaign (if this kind of thing is even eligible).

I think he meant a lawyer to represent the interests of the John/Jane Does, not to represent Teksavvy.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to stevey_frac

Anything is worth a try.

pegcitynet

join:2009-09-02
reply to stevey_frac

A standardized Statement of Defence against the claim would be sufficient to derail their extortion campaign. If NO ONE settles, and everyone defends themselves, Voltage may have to abandon their lawsuits on private users.

I'm contacting some lawyer friends of mine in Ontario and Quebec to see if anyone is interested in taking a lead on this.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to stevey_frac

I think it is a great idea. It is unfortunate for those affected but this case(s) will probably set the tone for how copyright trolls will proceed in Canada

Simon425

join:2009-04-24
reply to stevey_frac

I am not a Tekksavvy subscriber (mostly due to terrible DSL infrastructure in my area), nor have I ever been targeted in P2P copyright actions, but I would absolutely contribute to such an effort.

Ignoring any of the legal grey area around downloading copyright material, bringing a suit against a person on little or no solid evidence who can not afford to properly defend themselves is bullying, borderline extortion and is categorically unacceptable in my Canada. This behaviour needs to be stopped now before it gains traction.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

"Ignoring any of the legal grey area around downloading copyright material, bringing a suit against a person on little or no solid evidence who can not afford to properly defend themselves is bullying, borderline extortion and is categorically unacceptable in my Canada. This behaviour needs to be stopped now before it gains traction."

-----------

I'm a recent immigrant to this incredible country. And you are right. It isn't just about defending pirates/persecuting pirates (take your pick).

The tactics, and the precedents, are what this fight is about.

Damn it, THIS. IS. CANADA.

(exits stage left to the sound of Land of Hope and Glory.)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to stevey_frac

I'm also interested in contributing, and possibly sending out letters (time permitting) you can PM if you don't see me around, and I'll get back to you.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

qewey

join:2007-10-04
reply to stevey_frac

Somebody should put this up.

Thats the whole point of kickstarters, put it up there and see how much support is available for a project without much risk.

This extorsion scheme is not concerning for TSI only. Every customer at the other ISPs will be too. There could be more support than you know for this.

First you need to determine the cost for contesting this in court. Actual numbers from a lawyer not speculation. Maybe some of the people hit by that list could divulge (anonymously) that cost if they consulted with a lawyer.

KoroshiyaX

join:2008-08-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to stevey_frac

What about a counter-lawsuit fund for invasion of privacy?

IMO, I would rather the government just introduce a levy on blank DVDs and other video media/medium, the same way that they do for CDs already, and thereafter ban lawsuits against private individuals and only allow the music/movie industries to go after mass-distribution and for-profit bootleggers.

Just in case anyone doesnt know what the levy is, 29 cents of every blank CD-Rs Canadiens purchase go to the music industry as general compensation for piracy. »www.actra.ca/main/advocacy/issue···-and-as/

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to bt

said by bt:

I think he meant a lawyer to represent the interests of the John/Jane Does, not to represent Teksavvy.

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

1 edit
reply to stevey_frac

At the very least have a website (CACT.ca? [Coalition Against Copyright Trolls]) with all the information pertaining to this and other cases involving copyright trolls. Affected customers could educate themselves about the copyright modernization act, it could offer legal strategies or at least have legal contacts, so they could speak to the right people.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18

I second this notion.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to stevey_frac

Perhaps someone should check that there isn't already something like the EFF defence fund in Canada? A quick google search didn't turn up anything, but I haven't had time to dig deep.

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Count me in, I'd donate.

Atticka

join:2001-11-26
Montreal, QC
reply to stevey_frac

Instead of Kickstarter, consider Indiegogo...
»www.indiegogo.com/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to stevey_frac

It's not an "instead of, consider" kind of thing. The plan as described is expressly forbidden by Kickstarter; you have to produce a product. Charity stuff needs to use Indiegogo instead.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to bt

>EFF defence fund in Canada

There is EFC: Electronic Frontier Canada here: »www.efc.ca/

Their "latest" news is "March 2004: Yahoo sues Canadians over spam" - 8 years out of date.
Their "latest" press release is "EFC: National Coalition Demands Effective Privacy Legislation (22apr99)" - 12+ years out of date

May be TSI should use Teleco/Cableco/MPAA/RIAA math to figure out the cost for finding customer info behind IP and charge $200 (or may be $500) per IP look up. If the IP should fal within cableco then charge them on top of the cableco's lookup fees. The court decision last time okay'ed the big telco/cableco to charge, so it is a slam dunk. At $200 per IP, send them a bill for $460k. That should put a damper on their extortion based business practice.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to Guspaz

Indiegogo it is. I'll set it up.

YAAA

@terago.net
reply to stevey_frac

Excellent idea. We should work together as they are targeting the individuals.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

I've asked a friend who's a graphics wiz to work up a Logo for us.

Our campaign is going to be called:

"John Doe vs Hollywood"
--
www.QuickNet.ca

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

How 'bout "Great White North vs Hollywood". Let 'em know we mean business here in Canada.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON

Heh heh... and so it begins....

C-FACT

Canadian Folks Against Copyright Thugs....

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

^^
| |

Love it.

edit: not a huge fan of the word folks. Too folksy . There must be some other F-word that would fit here.
--
db

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Ya. Thinking about it... I don't like John Doe vs Hollywood

It's inherently sexist, implies all those targeted are male.

Lets work out a name!

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

Fund
Against
Copyright
Trolls
--
db

stevey_frac