share rss forum feed

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to stevey_frac

Re: Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

This is a nice idea but wouldn't it be better for people to represent themselves in small claims court? The most Voltage can request is $5000 unless they're claiming commercial copyright infringement, which is very unlikely.

Why pay a lawyer thousands of dollars? Resources such as the speculative invoicing handbook (which I linked to in a previous thread on this forum) provides templates which can be used to respond to these accusations and it also provides a lot of other information that can help prepare a defendant in court.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to CrazyCanuck

Re: Kickstarter to raise funds for legal fees vs Voltage LLC

said by CrazyCanuck :

Five thousand dollars won't do much you will need at least $20 000 to $30 000. But let's not jump the gun, let's wait and see what happens first.

quit fudding thats sheer bs....at most in todays dollars 2-3 grand especially when you walk in and ask for a dismissal there is no commercial profit that can be proven via na ip address nor his name.
no judge is gonna uphold commercial ends...

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

The lawyer that we have been talking to is:

Zabi Yaqeen of Julian Heller and Associates

Please note that we are merely in discussion at the moment! Nothing concrete yet!

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to stevey_frac
I don't understand why a moderator would delete my post when all I did was suggest that people should defend themselves in court rather than spending money on a lawyer. The maximum penalty they face is $5000. This would be handled in small claims court.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to stevey_frac
So, the name of the Lawyer that we've been talking to is:

Zabi Yaqeen of Julian Heller and Associates

We haven't formally retained a lawyer yet, and it may not be Zabi but someone else from the firm, but this is who we've been talking to.

We'll talk more after the hearing on Monday.

Ndt_tech

join:2012-12-11
reply to skd5

I put in $25 for now....

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to stevey_frac

I threw in a large donation. Good luck all.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to Rastan
said by Rastan:

I don't understand why a moderator would delete my post when all I did was suggest that people should defend themselves in court rather than spending money on a lawyer. The maximum penalty they face is $5000. This would be handled in small claims court.

Voltage is filing in federal court. There is no way you can have it transferred to small claims. Its a federal law being broken, and so federal court is where it stays.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to stevey_frac
Also just FYI, tweeted about the campaign with a link. Everyone should post on their Twitter/Facebook also to spread the word.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to AnonRick

said by AnonRick :

Voltage should be required to pay all of TekSavvy's costs.

And those of the 2300 who are proven innocent and their costs + other damages

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Voltage is filing in federal court. There is no way you can have it transferred to small claims. Its a federal law being broken, and so federal court is where it stays.

Resa,
I rolled my eyes and thought the same, and still think the same.

But I looked into it (you should to). I think I saw it stated on either the QC or ON legal aid site that if your case is in fed court and it's below something like 7,000$ (forget the value) you can "ask" the court to move it to small claims. Doesn't mean it will be, but you can request this.

At least this is what I read after "Gone" and "Peterboro" first mentioned this in CanChat I think it was...

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by hm :

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Resa,

But I looked into it (you should to). I think I saw it stated on either the QC or ON legal aid site that if your case is in fed court and it's below something like 7,000$ (forget the value) you can "ask" the court to move it to small claims. Doesn't mean it will be, but you can request this.

At least this is what I read after "Gone" and "Peterboro" first mentioned this in CanChat I think it was...

Thats probably why they're pulling the commercial infringement bull then - so they don't have to fight 2k+ battles in small claims, which would be expensive as hell for them. Commercial infringement is the $20k figure.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac
Sorry about the double post above. I think my posts were getting moderated, but I didn't notice.

Were starting to get some momentum going guys! Keep up the good work!

-Steve

Reboot123

join:2012-07-05
Montreal, QC
reply to mlerner
200$ o-O nice

John2086

join:2012-03-09
reply to stevey_frac
Anyone familiar with these guys? »zvulony.ca/our-lawyers-and-staff···-lawyer/

funny0

reply to stevey_frac
okay i dont want to use facebook but have 100$ to give ....can i still do this , let me know.

funny0

reply to Rastan
said by Rastan:

because lawyers and judges are like buddies and if you dont show up with one they think your not serious about defending yourself and give you the maximums far more often....you might do it later after a few good defences....but if you mess p its usually very bad
and i'd never show up to a trial without one...even if he just sits there like a stuffed doll

funny0

reply to hm
said by hm :

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Resa,

and once you show that voltage cant prove commercial infringement then the max is 5 grand ergo ONLY small claims court....
bring that up in court that they are trying to game the system because how can the uploader and downloader have no money exchange hands as ip addresses and voltage say its commercial ...they can't no money exchanged hands. So handing over a persons identification and address won't mean a thing either.

Just ask the case against you be dismissed and for all the mentioned on those grounds....then voltage spends more money and refiles fine they get the ids and data BUT now your in small claims court ergo legal aid for lawyers for the poor and the rest we'll get you a lawyer...ive got 100-200$ right now for it....

and that money would have gone and been spent in a local economy so whom loses....

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to funny0
... Why would you have to use facebook? You can donate anonymously...

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to stevey_frac
They've filed in Federal court. And from what I understand, Federal courts are more than welcome to pursue any case, even if the damaged are limited to below $5000. This doesn't HAVE to be seen in small claims court at all. I do think you can request that it be moved to small claims court, however, they don't have to allow it be moved.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

I need whatever job you have lol... great donation but damn $200 is crazy high

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

said by Tx:

said by mlerner:

I need whatever job you have lol... great donation but damn $200 is crazy high

I have little expenses and I believe in these causes.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

Sorry about the double post above. I think my posts were getting moderated, but I didn't notice.

Nope, not the case. This thread has been bitten by the "don't update the page count right away" bug, where it takes several posts on a new page before that page will show up. You can see them when you manually change the URL, but not get at them from the index at first.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac
The court case today was pushed back until Jan 14th. That buys us a month of much needed time to collect our thoughts, our funds, and work out a strategy.

Thanks Teksavvy and CIPPIC.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to stevey_frac
Your choice, but I made a donation this morning and I would have no objection if CIPPIC is going to take up the cause you might want to slide the donations there way. Completely up to you, just throwing it out there.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I considered that as well. Before I were to do that, I would definitely want to make sure that those who have already donated were OK with that. I would also want to ask CIPPIC if the donation would aid them in this legal battle.

Also: Thanks mlerner for the donation. That's quite awesome, and I think will go a long way to make a difference.

funny0

reply to stevey_frac
it shows i have to sign in via fcebook
how about having a simple setup this 9 trillion steps crap ....nvm
im not gonna bother then
no proper answers no 100 dollar donation
simple life

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I believe you are referring to step 2, where it gives you the option to connect using your Facebook account. You definitely do NOT have to do this.

The steps go something like this:

1) Put in a donation amount.
2) Enter an email. It can be fake if you want, but if fake, you won't be notified of payment. Don't need to connect to Facebook.
3) Select 'Anonymous'
4) Enter a comment if you want, or not.
5) Contribute

It's not to difficult. Sorry if I wasn't clear before... Hopefully this helps.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
said by stevey_frac:

I believe you are referring to step 2, where it gives you the option to connect using your Facebook account. You definitely do NOT have to do this.

Confirmed, just don't connect. That's how it worked this morning for me. I chose anonymous and no issues.
Expand your moderator at work