uniqs
share rss forum feed

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to stevey_frac

Re: Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

Sounds like a good idea.

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

OK. You fellows are very convincing. If CIPPIC wins the case for us, we donate to CIPPIC. If they do not, we start rolling our own legal defence!

That's a sensible plan.

Construction

@videotron.ca
reply to stevey_frac
I say pay off a judge or mayor w/ it.

Works in Quebec.

Fuzzy285

join:2012-12-12
reply to Fuzzy285
I think you should approach CIPPIC again but without bringing up the money question, and make sure they can verify whose interests you represent. What's at stake for them here is the public interest and the ramifications of the methods Voltage is trying to use; it is greater than this initial group being targeted. They are probably focusing on getting standing on this motion, and may not not want to get too tangled with each individual's circumstances, at least not yet. You are only as strong as your weakest link after all. Nonetheless, it would be important to get clarification from them as to whether they'd need or want help from those targeted, and what they should be doing by way of preparation. Other than spending tons of money on lawyers, of course.
Expand your moderator at work

Shikomu

join:2007-11-16
Ontario
reply to stevey_frac

Re: Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

That gets my Vote.

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

OK. You fellows are very convincing. If CIPPIC wins the case for us, we donate to CIPPIC. If they do not, we start rolling our own legal defence!

if they win or take up the case on behalf of people tomorrow? im confused...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
said by Voltage:

if they win or take up the case on behalf of people tomorrow? im confused...

I believe if CIPPIC quashes the motion then the money would simply be donated to them. If that fails, then it would be put to another use - such as legal advice on responses to the letters that people know is coming. Or (thinking ahead) to someone who plans to fight.

ETA: not one of those named, not even someone who torrents, but someone who donated because I don't like the methods that companies like Voltage use

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia
im with teksavvy but i didnt get named. never actually heard of Voltage before or any of their movies. i feel the same as you. frankly this is bs.

i appreciate what the OP is doing, but is this legit? is a lawyer the head of this campaign or what? at this point it appeared as if people werent 100% on where the money is going. i want to donate to something that has clear direction and validity.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to soundtech
said by soundtech:

I also think we ought to hold off on the CIPPIC donation. If their intervention is not allowed, or is unsuccessful, we will need legal representation.

And if I may, I am aware of a team willing, and very able, to take this on. If anyone is interested in further details, pm me.

dont donate to cippic you might create an era of bias and get there intervenor status not allowed , just saying.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Voltage
Sorry, I thought I laid it out quite clearly in my last post.

If CIPPIC is granted intervener status today and gets the motion for disclosure is denied, we will be donating the monies raised to them.

If they fail, we will be using the money to retain a lawyer, for the aid of those targeted.

I am not a lawyer, nor am I one of those targeted. I'm just a concerned citizen who decided to do something about the speculative invoicing practices used by Voltage.

--Steve

Canipre evil

@216.16.246.x
Remember the Cinapre press release from a couple months
ago where they claimed they had proof of copyright infringement by over 1 million Canadians?
You may not be implicated in the first wave, but if Voltage
and Canipre have their way you might be part of the second,
third, fourth, fifth or sixth waves. You may be innocent but your teenage son/daughter (or their friend) might not be.
Did you ever have wireless router on your modem that had
no security or low security?

Keep in mind that Barry Logan of Stratford and his company may be an even bigger long term threat than Voltage.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by Canipre evil :

Keep in mind that Barry Logan of Stratford and his company may be an even bigger long term threat than Voltage.

"Canipre evil" is right.
The source of the evilness is canipre and others like them who will pop up and think they can walk in with pseudo-data on you and get paid for selling this info.

Theses vultures and this business model is what funds are required for to stop them before it gets a foot hold. If that is even possible.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to stevey_frac
CIPPIC has been granted full intervenor status in the Voltage vs John Doe case.

This is great news for us. CIPPIC can now fight for us, and poke holes in the evidence that Voltage and Canipre has presented, before a single name gets released. As such, all the funds donated will be going to CIPPIC.

Giving them financial aid affords us all the best chance of winning this case. It also sends a clear message to Voltage, Canipre, and their ilk that we will not take this type bullying lying down.

In the end, we raised a total of $1400 dollars. While this is not enough to retain our own lawyer, it IS a significant amount of money, and will aid CIPPIC in their battle.

Thanks to everyone who donated and everyone who spread the word! We did well!

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto
& thanks to you stevey_frac for your time & efforts to get this fund raiser started right from the get-go .. good show : ) .. cheers from Toronto

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
Agreed. Every dollar helps and I'm sure CIPPIC will appreciate it.

King Sull
Premium
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON
reply to stevey_frac
indiegogo != kickstarter that's why you didn't get much.

anti_troll

@85.25.208.x
reply to stevey_frac
I am going to donate CIPPIC directly at »www.cippic.ca/en/donate

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
reply to stevey_frac
Gee indiegogo is where people also build up hype on fundraisers and then ran off with the money.

King Sull
Premium
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON
reply to anti_troll
Tax deductible ^_^