uniqs
share rss forum feed

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to bt

Re: Kickstarter to raise funds for legal fees vs Voltage LLC

>EFF defence fund in Canada

There is EFC: Electronic Frontier Canada here: »www.efc.ca/

Their "latest" news is "March 2004: Yahoo sues Canadians over spam" - 8 years out of date.
Their "latest" press release is "EFC: National Coalition Demands Effective Privacy Legislation (22apr99)" - 12+ years out of date

May be TSI should use Teleco/Cableco/MPAA/RIAA math to figure out the cost for finding customer info behind IP and charge $200 (or may be $500) per IP look up. If the IP should fal within cableco then charge them on top of the cableco's lookup fees. The court decision last time okay'ed the big telco/cableco to charge, so it is a slam dunk. At $200 per IP, send them a bill for $460k. That should put a damper on their extortion based business practice.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to Guspaz

Indiegogo it is. I'll set it up.

YAAA

@terago.net
reply to stevey_frac

Excellent idea. We should work together as they are targeting the individuals.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

I've asked a friend who's a graphics wiz to work up a Logo for us.

Our campaign is going to be called:

"John Doe vs Hollywood"
--
www.QuickNet.ca

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:1

How 'bout "Great White North vs Hollywood". Let 'em know we mean business here in Canada.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2

Heh heh... and so it begins....

C-FACT

Canadian Folks Against Copyright Thugs....

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

^^
| |

Love it.

edit: not a huge fan of the word folks. Too folksy . There must be some other F-word that would fit here.
--
db

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Ya. Thinking about it... I don't like John Doe vs Hollywood

It's inherently sexist, implies all those targeted are male.

Lets work out a name!

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB

Fund
Against
Copyright
Trolls
--
db

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

How about we go simple and straight forward:

Troll Defender

?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
reply to clarknova

Canadians
Against
Copyright
Troll
Infiltration
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
·link2voip
reply to stevey_frac

said by stevey_frac:

How about we go simple and straight forward:

Troll Defender

?

edit: On second thought, that sounds like we're defending the trolls. Simple is good, but "Troll Defender" doesn't work for me.
--
db

UK_Dave

Powassan, ON

1 edit
reply to clarknova

C-PACT

Canadian People Against Copyright Threats

(It's their methods in assuming guilt I am raging against. This isn't, I assum, going to be another Pirate Party campaign?)

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
reply to stevey_frac

How about "Canadian Copyright Troll-defense Fund"? There's no catchy acronym, but I think it gets right to the heart of it.
--
db

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to UK_Dave

I am not a member of the Pirate Party... if that's what you mean.

UK_Dave

Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

Hey no man, not at all. Nothing intended.

I think I was just making sure we are clear on differentiating between fighting the tactics and threatening approach of this type of trolling, versus being pro-freedom to pirate.

I am in favour of the former, not the latter.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON

We agree on this.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to stevey_frac

We have a logo! And it looks awesome!

IAmCanadian52

join:2012-12-12
East York, ON
reply to UK_Dave

What about Troll Patrol? ahha

skd5

reply to stevey_frac

I'm in. Just to reconfirm i don't need an individual lawyer when part of this group right.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

The idea is that we get a lawyer to essentially draft a template response categorically denying all wrong-doing. Essentially, demanding that they take you to court, and prove the allegations in a court of law. This is both expensive, and risky for them.

So, no. If this works, you won't need your own individual lawyer.

Note that I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Do not take anything I say here as legal advice. If you are concerned, it may be better for you to obtain your own legal council.

tsi_user_mis

@teksavvy.com
reply to stevey_frac

I am in. What is the next step?

skd5

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to stevey_frac

Thanks, that's all I need to know. I know I didn't download anything they claim. They cannot extort because they have an IP. I don't want to support troll settling out. At the same time not rich enough for an individual lawyer.

I can spend the same amount to say I'm innocent rather paying and accept guilt!

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON

1 edit
reply to stevey_frac

The next step is for me to write up the kickstarter campaign. Once we have some real money in the campaign, we should be able to convince a lawyer to take up our cause.

tsi_user_mis

@teksavvy.com

Do you have a lawyer in mind? Should the lawyer that is worthy of cause and willing to help be found prior to the campaign? Thank you.

bw777

reply to stevey_frac

I'm very interested in this thread and would contribute to the campaign. If there's a question of the "product" for Kickstarter, as was raised in an earlier thread, the product is the form letter.

I will say that I think that a letter would carry more weight actually coming from a real lawyers office, but having something pre-drafted will likely defer some cost.

It's probably best that the letter contains the legalese equivalent of "an IP address is not a person". (also see a recent US ruling)

If they get the court order and actually call people to court, the potential to make this case law in Canada is huge. Seek the support of the EFF then and start online fund-raising. Lots of people in Canada would love to see case law made here.

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
reply to stevey_frac

I too am very interested in donating!

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

It's not an "instead of, consider" kind of thing. The plan as described is expressly forbidden by Kickstarter; you have to produce a product. Charity stuff needs to use Indiegogo instead.

Yup.

Also while I like the concept of the plan, I think raising money for it might be unnecessary. This case has the potential to be rather high-profile and I would guess there are a number of lawyers out there who would take the case for free (or a nominal fee) in exchange for the publicity. Being the lawyer who won the big privacy case against the scumbag extortionists would be well worth it to the right attorney.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON

If you can find that lawyer, I'd love to talk to him or her.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

I bet a lawyer finds this case pretty fast. But I am sniffing around.