MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

Intel Core "Haswell" Quad-Core Desktop CPU Lineup Deta

quote:
By Q2-2013, Intel will have launched as many as 14 Core desktop CPU models, including six in the mainline, and eight power-optimized ones. Its nomenclature is somewhat similar to that of current Core "Ivy Bridge" lineup, except the 4000-series numbering. Leading the pack is the Core i7-4770K (unlocked) and i7-4770, clocked at 3.50 GHz with 3.90 GHz Turbo Boost, featuring eight threads with HyperThreading, 8 MB of L3 cache, Intel HD Graphics 4600 iGPU clocked up to 1250 MHz, with 84W TDP; followed by Core i5-4670K (unlocked) and i5-4670 clocked at 3.40 GHz with 3.80 GHz Turbo Boost, and 6 MB L3 cache. The Core i5-4570 and i5-4430 are clocked at 3.20 GHz (3.60 GHz Turbo) and 3.00 GHz (3.20 Turbo).

»www.techpowerup.com/1770 ··· led.html

The Core i7 4770K has an 84w TDP,........hummmm

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Re: Intel Core "Haswell" Quad-Core Desktop CPU Lineup

I guess I'll have to wait and see how the i5-4670K stacks up vs. the i7-4770K for gaming and overclocking.

I'm also kinda surprised that the memory specs aren't changing at all, I guess I should go ahead and start sniping DDR3 OC'd ram deals.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Click for full size
Uploaded here for anyone behind web sense.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
So are these Haswells going to be interchangable with 1155 sockets?

I'd be more then happy if I get another 2 years out of my Ivy Bridge i5 before upgrading again.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

No they won't be (LGA 1150), but you should have little reason to upgrade if you built an Ivy Bridge rig.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Also:

Given the fact that Intel decided not to boost clock-speed of Intel Core i7 Haswell chips significantly compared to currently available Core i7 Ivy Bridge products, which confirms that the forthcoming micro-architecture will enable higher performance compared to existing one on the same frequencies.

and

Haswell will be the first processor to be designed from the ground up to fully optimize the power savings and performance benefits from the move to 3D or tri-gate transistors on the improved 22 nm process node.

From »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha ··· cture%29

I hope it will run a little cooler than Ivy Bridge and have more headroom for overclocking.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
With companies still selling 2nd gen processors, and barely embracing the 3rd gen processors I wonder how quickly these will actually be available. I had to really try to find a system with a 3rd gen processor for somebody. These releases are going pretty quick, and I'm not sure there's much improvement over each release.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

We can partially thank AMD for that.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Intel is competing with itself in many segments of the market. Still, a quick look at some of the top OEM’s suggest that third gen Intel processor based systems are indeed available.

As I may have stated in other threads, with little to no competition from AMD and ARM becoming more and more relevant / ubiquitous due to power efficiency, my concern is that Intel will focus more on power efficiency then performance.

Therefore I don’t expect much in the way of performance gains anytime soon. I didn’t expect much from Ivy Bridge but I had hoped for more from Haswell. Maybe Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont will bring more of a performance differential,….

Right now I see little incentive for people to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge or for either of the former to upgrade to Haswell,…

I find it a bit puzzling that a Haswell Core i7 4770K has an 84W TDP shrinking to 14nm and today’s Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K has a 77W TDP at 22nm,…..?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A 10% performance increase with a 9.1% TDP increase = slightly more efficiency? lol, we're talking within 1% gains here.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I find it a bit puzzling that a Haswell Core i7 4770K has an 84W TDP shrinking to 14nm and today’s Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K has a 77W TDP at 22nm,…..?

It's not 14nm still 22nm. Ivy Bridge was the shrink of Sandy Bridge to 22nm and Haswell is a new design in 22nm.

I still don't see a reason to upgrade from my Lynnfield i7 860.

At work I love to get my hands on the newest stuff (Sandy Bridge-E workstations and servers just came out earlier this year) because it makes heavy jobs run faster.

At home the i7 860 at 3.5 GHz is still chewing through games I don't see why I'd upgrade it yet. Perhaps if a game even more CPU-hungry than Skyrim comes out next year I might start to think about it. Upgrading from a Sandy Bridge 2500k or newer for gaming will just be burning money IMO.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I don't see anything like that happening soon, save for maybe crysis 3(stock 2600 recommended for ultra settings according to them).

for gaming I don't see much reason to upgrade ether. My 2500k @ 4.5ghz+oc'd 7950 run everything I throw at it at high or ultra settings. I'm hoping for 2 years out of the 7950 and at lest 3 more form the 2500k so I can upgrade to skylake in the summer 2016 ,when microcenter puts them on discount because their successor will have come out, anything more than that(which I do hope for tbh) is just butter on top.

Games just aren't progressing as fast, as far as when we need to upgrade, as they used to be. Part of that may be blamed on consoles, part amd, who knows. Not sure if its good or bad yet.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction
I'm definitely upgrading my i7-920 for the Crysis 3/Star Citizen generation of game engines. The 920 may have great threaded performance (8 threads), but I'd prefer to turn off HT and run at 4.5+ GHz. Alas, I am about 1 GHz slower at max stable speed.

I plan to run the 4670K on my Corsair H100, which should allow for some pretty nice overclocking.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Question... do you think Haswell will have the same limitation as Ivy Bridge when it comes to NOT using 1.65v-rated ram?

I was considering this ram for my rebuild but noticed the voltage... It appears this set is the fastest GSkill package with 1.5v. Not a very big speed difference, just wondering if there was speculation out there about whether 1.65v ram would be safe in Haswell.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I think it might be imprudent to assume what the OC potential of Haswell will be on average at this stage of the game. A lot of people were unpleasantly surprised by Intel’s choice of TIM instead of solder with Ivy Bridge and there is no predicting how this will be addressed in the future with Haswell.

As for the RAM question I’d say the same thing. Its probably better just to wait and see,..
Octavean

Octavean

MVM

Intel Core i7 "Haswell" M-Series Notebook CPU Lineup Detailed
quote:
Intel's Core i7 "Haswell" line of high-performance mobile processors will launch around roughly the same time as its first desktop counterparts, in April 2013. The April launch will consist of three models, which occupy conventional TDP ratings, making them fit for performance/gaming classes of notebooks, they're not quite Ultrabook-material.

»www.techpowerup.com/1775 ··· led.html

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Since I'm still sitting on a 1090T Black Edition and with AMD in the dumps sorta, I was thinking about a rebuild sometime next year. I'm definitely planning on switching over to the Intel side (what other option do I really have?) and selling off some of my current parts (Crosshair IV, 1090T, 2x MSI GTX560Ti).

Is it worth waiting for the release of Haswell?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Haswell will be about 10% faster than Ivy Bridge, clock-for-clock. If you can wait 3-6 months to upgrade, do so. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge isn't that different.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Intel Haswell and Broadwell Silicon Variants Detailed

»www.techpowerup.com/foru ··· t=177817