I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Tim Hortons: foreign temp workers "pioneer"

Its not about being cheaper. They cannot get enough staff to fill the positions, especially overnight shifts. I work with many of the store owners on a daily basis and they genuinely cannot find the labor needed to run the stores 24/7.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by twizlar:

Its not about being cheaper. They cannot get enough staff to fill the positions, especially overnight shifts. I work with many of the store owners on a daily basis and they genuinely cannot find the labor needed to run the stores 24/7.

Yep. It started a few years ago in Alberta. I personally saw a McDonalds that was closed on weekends because they couldn't get anyone to work there, despite offering close to $20 an hour (that was in Red Deer).

Now it's spreading to other parts of the country. That's what happens when you keep giving your kids everything they want without teaching them the value of work and money. Somehow they end up thinking that passing wind is worth $50k. Imagine that!
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to twizlar

Premium Member

to twizlar
I have always wondered about this:

Does it pay to be open at 3:30 AM?

Except at the very busiest stores, seems absolutely nuts.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

Don't know about 3:30, but I've been through the drive through at work at 5am (not often, but we have a shift that starts at 5:30). Interesting fact - you can't buy tim bits at 5am. I had to go back that morning as I'd planned to bring some in for the guys.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to IamGimli

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by twizlar:

Yep. It started a few years ago in Alberta. I personally saw a McDonalds that was closed on weekends because they couldn't get anyone to work there, despite offering close to $20 an hour (that was in Red Deer).

Now it's spreading to other parts of the country. That's what happens when you keep giving your kids everything they want without teaching them the value of work and money. Somehow they end up thinking that passing wind is worth $50k. Imagine that!

said by Doonz:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Are teenagers so well off they don't need jobs?

In our town. Our Tim's is staffed from 12am to 8am by foreign workers. Then from 8am - 3pm its mostly locals. then from 3pm-8pm its mostly local teens and then from 8pm - 12am its foreigners.

I think its a great mix and I realize that running a 24/7 business requires a lot of personel not to mention that a lot of canadians look down upon these jobs...

Oh to add the weekends 6am - 12am are staffed by mostly teens

I know many many South Asian people who see working at McD or Tim is beneath their level or insulting. They don't understand work is work no matter what. They will work in call centre at $10/h but will never work at Timmie for $15-$20. But look like this attitude is not limited to certain communities and common in other parts as well.

And many workers at Tim I see in Toronto are mainly Sri-Lankans. That include gas station and other stalls at subway stations. So this "Temp" must be different for other parts of Canada.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Considering night staff have other duties than just manning the cash register (cleaning, re-stocking, preparing large orders, etc.) yes, it pays to be open. Sales are free money as they'd need someone in there anyway.

BTW forcing those kind of places to pay more to hire unemployed people only perpetuates the problem. When the effective minimum wage gets to be $25+ because unemployed people won't work for less then the price of everything has to go up, and this creates extremely high inflation and cost of living for EVERYBODY in that area, not just the unemployed people, which in turn raises the poverty level in that area, and raises the amount of money unemployed people will want before getting off their ass.

When you see the amount of demagogy that came out of the Left when EI rules were changed recently to allow the program to force someone to take a job at 80% of their former salary can you imagine the consequences if you could force them to take minimum wage jobs, even if they're not actually paid minimum wage?

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark

Click for full size
Clearly the equilibrium wage is too low, no one is forcing an employers hand or advocating for a $25 minimum wage...just honest capitalism.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to IamGimli

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by PX Eliezer704:

Considering night staff have other duties than just manning the cash register (cleaning, re-stocking, preparing large orders, etc.) yes, it pays to be open. Sales are free money as they'd need someone in there anyway.

BTW forcing those kind of places to pay more to hire unemployed people only perpetuates the problem. When the effective minimum wage gets to be $25+ because unemployed people won't work for less then the price of everything has to go up, and this creates extremely high inflation and cost of living for EVERYBODY in that area, not just the unemployed people, which in turn raises the poverty level in that area, and raises the amount of money unemployed people will want before getting off their ass.

When you see the amount of demagogy that came out of the Left when EI rules were changed recently to allow the program to force someone to take a job at 80% of their former salary can you imagine the consequences if you could force them to take minimum wage jobs, even if they're not actually paid minimum wage?

This;
Raising the wages paid does not correlate to lowering the unemployment rate. And if it does because someone won't take a job for less than $X/hr, than their priorities are wrong. Not allowing the use of foreign workers does 2 things, it could force the business to close and it removes employment from those foreign workers. The way I see it is, if you think you're too good to work at tims, why shouldn't they be allowed to hire someone who will appreciate and make use of the wages they are being paid. Tims is actually helping boost other economies by allowing these foreign workers to bring money home, allowing them to support their families. It's a global market place.