share rss forum feed

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

1 edit

Copyright - are you affected?

We've implemented a feature in the customer portal for you to check to see if you're affected.

Just login to our customer portal and if you're affected, you will see a warning in red.. if not.. you wont see anything out of the ordinary.

Here's the customer portal link:

»myworld.teksavvy.com

We were thinking of a way where people can check for themselves. and this is what we came up with. We didn't want to tell people to call in and flood our phone system and same with email.. so this way, you can get some sort of positive feedback that you are indeed affected.

I'll be making another blog to explain this but figured I'd post this now as it's been live since earlier this morning.

We've also included a new doc we received from Voltage yesterday.. check our this link:

»www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksavvy···ormation
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

Great post! Thanks Marc.

DragonSpyre
Premium
join:2009-05-20
Aurora, ON
reply to TSI Marc

That is the customer portal where you would usually see Request a Callback and Upgrade your ON/QC DSL Package?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

yeah sorry.. MyWorld...

»myworld.teksavvy.com
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to DragonSpyre

said by DragonSpyre:

That is the customer portal where you would usually see Request a Callback and Upgrade your ON/QC DSL Package?

The MyWorld Customer Portal.
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

It looks like these are the movies Canpire was monitoring...

Generation Um....
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
True Justice (first season)
The Third Act aka The Magic of Belle Isle
The Good Doctor
Rosewood Lane
Another Happy Day aka The Reasonable Bunch
Killer Joe
Escapee

So if you torrented one of these between Sept 1- Oct30 but haven't heard from teksavvy yet, you still might if they haven't gone through all 2300 yet (assuming you weren't using a VPN or something)

jerrycan

join:2010-11-05
Waterloo, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So Marc, is Teksavvy done updating? i.e. If you don't see a warning now, you won't see one with respect to this Voltage list of ~2300 IPs?

Thx again.

Torabo

join:2009-09-01

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

Anyone else having trouble making an portal account on that webpage? I've never needed it before so was trying to make one just to check for this purpose and I keep getting an error saying my billing E-mail is incorrect even when I copy it directly from the invoice e-mail....

*edit*
Actually, I just realized something.... did they ever enable the portal for cable customers? I only ever recall receiving a notice saying the portal was available to DSL customers and they were working on cable customers still....

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to TSI Marc

Thank you for setting this up.

Out of curiosity, are any of the affected customers out west? We're tired of being out of the loop!
--
db

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

According to the portal, I'm not even a customer....

Zyzomys

join:2008-05-23
Cantley, QC
reply to TSI Marc

I too am having problems using the Customer Portal.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to Torabo

Torabo: Yes, the portal works for cable customers - I have one as a cable customer.

Rickkins: I do believe you have to register for access to it. It'll ask for billing info for verification & linkage to your account.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Torabo

join:2009-09-01
reply to TSI Marc

Just got the phone support to enable my account... for some reason the website didn't like me...

Hey Marc,
Would the customer portal retroactively show me the warning if I'm affected even though I just created the account?

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

What about us who are in wholesale?

Zyzomys

join:2008-05-23
Cantley, QC
reply to Zyzomys

All fixed via Teksavvy Direct (and no red on my page!).

Chreers

enzymes

join:2003-11-29
Brampton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Thank you for doing this. Looks like I'm in the clear.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

It's interesting that in their newest submission they admit to only creating a single complete copy of each of the files. So, 2000 people, 1 instance of copyright infringement per title?

What's the cost of a couple dozen DVD's divided by 2000? No wonder these jokers never make it to court.

The new law is meant to target providers of content, not downloaders. Now, if they had managed to download a couple dozen copies of each file from each IP, that would be different. That's not what they have indicated they have done.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

said by Samgee:

It's interesting that in their newest submission they admit to only creating a single complete copy of each of the files. So, 2000 people, 1 instance of copyright infringement per title?

Did any of these 2000 people download the movie from the forensics company? A lawyer should ask them to show full logs just to make sure they themselves were not making it available for upload and entrapping people.

Can you link use to where they say it was only one copy.

Samgee

canada

»www.teksavvy.com/Media/Default/C···cord.pdf

Page 13, statement 22;

"In addition, I have analyzed each of the BitTorrent packets distributed by the IP addresses listed in Exhibit B and verified that reassembling the pieces results in a fully playable digital motion picture that is one of Voltage's copyrighted works."

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

This doesn't make sense. Did all those 2000 ip's serve up each of the movies listed? That would mean Voltage is going after some really dedicated Voltage fans and that a hole lot of Voltage fan on TSI.

Seems strange they managed to download all those movies from 2000 people (to them IP = person) Where is this magic tracker that has 2000 people/customers from TSI sharing some obscure movies.

If a lawyer could get a list of IP's that were used by Voltage could TSI see if any of the TSI IP's connected to the Voltage IP's which would mean Voltage was making the files available for upload.

Samgee

canada

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

I agree, it's very hard to believe that only the Teksavvy customers uploaded data would have been enough to create even those single complete files on their own.

Hopefully those representing the defendants can help the judge to understand this discrepancy. The claim should be denied.

hmph

join:2012-10-23
reply to Samgee

This is actually completely ridiculous. This entire case is based off of Canipre's thought that if you are connected to a torrent tracker and downloading p2p content, then you are automatically sharing full copies of the content in question. This is completely false. Canipre would have no access to be able to analyze each transmitted bit-torrent packet, unless they were simultaneously recording all traffic between each p2p user on that specific torrent. A statement claiming to do this, is borderline insane, considering this is close to impossible to accomplish. This case is a complete joke. Canipre obviously doesn't know how the internet works and has no clue how to do anything other then to dish out pointless court cases and claim to use "forensic" software, that just logs IP addresses. In reality they have little to no proof if someone completely a download or distributed a completed download.

If they are able to accomplish their goals of taking money from us once(with little to no proof), what stops them from doing it over and over?

Someone needs to put them in their place.

hmph

join:2012-10-23
reply to analog andy

This is simply not possible.
Teksavvy does not log all traffic to and from their customers (this is illegal, regardless teksavvy would never do such a thing). All that is logged is the IP address and the amount of bandwidth on the customer side.
At this point there would be no way to see if it was Voltage that was sharing the content or not.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

Is there a sample screenshot that has this?
Looks like I probably don't but just wanted to make sure.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by franklyong:

Is there a sample screenshot that has this?
Looks like I probably don't but just wanted to make sure.

It would be in big red writing.. you cant miss it.. if you dont see anything like that. you dont need to worry.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1

Sound good then .
Thanks Marc

Expand your moderator at work

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Copyright - are you affected?

welcome to what the U.S. has been through. many courts in the U.S. have ruled an IP address is not a person, and have gotten sick of this abuse, and denied this type of abuse of the court system. they have also ruled that holding the account holder responsible is, and i forgot the exact wording, but it's like "far fetched at best". you can look on google for "an IP address is not a person" for more details.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to kabes

said by kabes:

It looks like these are the movies Canpire was monitoring...

Okay, I admit I don't follow the latest and greatest films, but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the films listed. Are these all B roll movies?

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to TSI Marc

I dont have the time to read the entire claim that Marc posted, but I did scan through quickly....

I am not a lawyer, and I can see a ton of holes in their claim

Even better, Im sure that I saw them reference court cases for copyright infringement that even after obtaining IP adress information.... the plaintiff (trolls) lost... and then lost AGAIN on appeal.

what a waste of time and money.